Fly Fusion Forums

Heading To The Dark Side

DonAndersen

Folks,

Need some advice. Looking for a reel for a 9 wt. Graphite rod that I will be using for some pike fishing.

As pike rarely pull any length of line, a long backing is not needed. I intend to use a 9 wt. pike taper on te rod.

Looking to spend <> $200 or less. Need a reel where I can acquire a spare spool.

Any suggestions?

catch ya'

Don

Guys,

Thank for the advice. Will look into both the TFO and Lamson.

&

Silver Doc

No fear about the bamboo use. They are still the preferred weapon for trout. The graphites shine for pike, suckers and loading my outboard.

Regards,

Don

It may be the dark side but it sure can be fun. I hooked a pike on a perch imitation popper I got at the fishin hole a couple years ago. On the first take the pike scared me so bad my hook set was a little too aggressive and I missed him so I quickly roll casted the popper back to where the pike rose and he grabbed it again then broke me off a short while later. Until that day I had never been a fan of fly fishing for pike or fishing for pike in general. I used to always tell people a guy can go out and catch 10 trout and go home without smelling like fish but if you catch 1 bloody pike you smell like fish for a week! Now my views have changed and I figure its ok to smell like fish every now and then.

Folks,

My thanks for all your help. I put the list together below. Lots of great suggestions

I was surprised that Allen or Okuma didn't make the list.

Regards,

Don

TFO, Lamson Konic, Orvis - Access & Hydro, Sage 1880, Teton 8LA @ 10 LA, Hardy Ultralight