Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Vibram Soles

Garlicmarshmellow

Guest Grinr

I bought the Freestones w/Vibram sole last summer,really like'em(wanted to avoid felt/rock snot prevention).1st day on my feet I was quite impressed and thought to self "they are appropriately named" as I was on Jumpingpound after heavy rains with high water.....crossing a fast run that was deeper than I anticipated on the far side,they really gripped the freestone streambed and able to wade with confidence.

Cant comment much on durability as I've only worn them 20-30x(?) but they look like brand new.Most of their use has been on slippery,slimy,ankle twisty Bow bottom and no complaints,again,they grab good/wade with confidence,I really can't imagine felt or cleats being significantly better?i've never worn cleats but I'd say they grip as good as any felt soled boots I've owned?Aside from that,felt is banned in some jurisdictions and cleats aren't very boat floor friendly.

After my Korkers blew out in just over a year, I switched to Simms and went with the Riversheds. I've had these boots for going on to 3 years now and have been happy with their performance. Structurally, the boots are doing great....none of the seams have blown, the sole is still attached to the boot. I use these in a variety of environments, and have put a ton of KM's on them. Now getting to the actual Vibram sole, both the toe and the heel have worn down pretty good. There's pretty much no grip on them anymore, except for the center of the boot. These boots are starting to become pretty sketchy when I'm going down/up muddy or icy hills, I've started to think of maybe putting some studs in them although I really don't want to.

From what I've heard, pavement does a pretty good number on the vibrams, so if your an exclusive Bow river guy and spend a lot of time walking on the bikepaths, then the life of the Vibrams might go sooner than if you were using them out in the bush.

Now here's a question, does anyone know if a Cobbler would be able to put new vibrams on boots? Or is that crazy talk? I love my boots, and would much sooner fork over a little bit of cash to get some new soles put on instead of buying brand new boots.

Hope that helps.

Yes go see Gary at alpine shoe in Kensington (they don't work weekends anymore from my understanding - as he wants to retire). I think you might have to purchase the replacement soles from simms direct or from a dealer.

I'm thinking of going for Vibram soles as well when I get a new pair. Noted yesterday my boots where falling completely apart. Only one year old. Might be fishing to much....

I'm on my third pair of Freestones, two with the vibram and one felt. The uppers have held up great, but the vibram lugs have basically melted off. The only time I wear the vibrams is in the boat, as the felts make a pretty good mess.

I purchased the simms rivertek boa with rubber souls and have cleats on. while they are not good in boats i could not ask for better traction both on The bank or in the water. The boa system rocks compared to laces to. Much easier

I was VERY skeptical of Vibram as I had some Guideline boots with Vibram substitute that were the scariest things I've ever worn. I lent them to my son once and he asked "are you trying to kill me?". Some young smart-ass kid at Country Pleasure talked me, reluctantly, into getting the Riversheds and talked me out of felt into the vibram.

They are bulletproof. Hands down the best grip I've ever had in the water. I can't think of any slip type falls I've had with them on. Totally happy with them.

Wow!! And that's coming from a guy that has taken his share of slips/falls (I think I've counted at least 5 when I've fished with him!! LoL)!

They are bulletproof. Hands down the best grip I've ever had in the water. I can't think of any slip type falls I've had with them on. Totally happy with them.

Haha so basically not the shoe/sole but the person then?

Wow!! And that's coming from a guy that has taken his share of slips/falls (I think I've counted at least 5 when I've fished with him!! LoL)!

Guest Grinr

Thanks guys for the replies. Going to try and pick up a pair of Freestones this weekend. Heard they fit nice on wide feet. Other option I was looking at was the korkers Metal Heads. Lady at one of the local stores says it a great boot.

Ciao

I'd agree,the Freestones fit my wide sz12 flippers quite nicely,and by design they are hands down the easist wading boots I've ever owned to put on/take off.

This is about the 3rd time discussion on Simms vibram soles have come up. I have had more than enough experience with them.

Those Simms vibram soles don't even last me a summer (23 days the first time) so anyone who says they last for years either walks on flat grass mostly or walks way less than they think they do. If you do any amount of walking uphill (out of canyons for example) and on rocky ground the toe part wears down to the welt in no time since the entire sole is only about 1/4" thick when new.

If you want them resoled, Quick Cobbler in Vancouver can do it. With shipping both directions it will set you back close to $180. I wouldn't take another pair of those boots if they were given to me. And after spending all that money on resoling, the soles started coming off after a half dozen times. I took them back on a business trip to get them redone. They did'em for free, but no apology or explanation at all.

No point in going to see Gary at Alpine shoe. He doesn't stock those specific soles and he never will, he doesn't need any more business and does not want to be an authorized dealer/cobbler for Simms. He is just putting in time and could retire since he already does get his pension now. But he could put felt soles on instead for you if you buy them. With studs I found that is just as good overall anyway and lasts longer. Or, you can buy those vibram soles at Carters Cobbler in Bozeman for $44 (in 2010) and get them shipped up here along with the hassle involved and get Gary to put them on. It'll probably still end up costing over $100 though all told. Quick Cobbler in Vanc didn't want to sell just the soles to me.

My 2 cents based on owning a pair. (2 pair actually, since Simms replaced for free the first pair that wore out soles in 23 days)

I have had my Riversheds since Sept last, been out with them about 8 times. As boots, I like the stiff sole and ankle support, comfortable too. However, I added the alloy hardbite cleats after a few trips, as I noticed the wear happening to the soles just as Alan describes above. He warned me about this in a thread last fall. The cleats on the vibram sure took some getting used to, they made me feel slightly unbalanced both in the water and on land. The alloy wore quickly as well. I fell with them (with the cleats installed) the first time out, stepping backard in about 3 feet of flowing water on the Bow. First time that has happened. Stepping backward with the vibram w/cleats on large slimy rocks is a no no from now on, at least for me. We will see what happens this coming season, but I am thinking that felt with or without cleats will be my next pair. In retrospect, if your fishing where there is grass banks, and soft pathways, and smaller steams (like the Crow or Liv) they are ok. But in the Bow in fast water, my confidence is not there. My 2 cents. They might make a good boat boot, (without the cleats) others may know more though.

Huh. Will have to disagree. My experience is totally different. Fished them in fast water on the Bow (to get to my favorite water on the Bow requires a wade through some very fast water) several times and high gradient cutty streams, both with cleats, 0 issues. I will say I did not hike as much this year as in years past, so I can't comment on overall hikability. I did hike some though, again no issues.

I dunno Rick, when I first got them I spent the weekend up on the Dogpound and the LRD and loved them. Still do, they handled the steep grass banks on the DP just fine! A few trips later saw the wear, added the cleats, hit the Bow and had a bit of a hard time on large angled rocks. Got wet. Same area in the past on my old felts had no trouble. Shook my confidence in them a bit. I'll be out on them again soon though.....

I have a pair of simms guideboots with vibram soles and hardbites, had'em for 2 seasons and close to 300k of walkin', look like they will be good for another 2-3 seasons. No bitches and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair

BTW, carbide cleats and slick rock never work but then again have you ever tried felts and didymo?

I have to admit I've had cleats slip on smooth dry boulders near shore and down I went, but on the slick Bow R rocks, no combination seems to work all that well. Vibram slips, so does felt and though studs seem to help a bit on the didymo, still gotta wade carefully. The toe of my felts also wears down fairly quickly (although it is much thicker than the vibram sole to begin with) so I put a piece of aluminum bar across it and attached with 4 big sheet metal screws. It slips on smooth rock though, but great going up wet, grassy, or muddy banks as long as it's not all round smooth rocks.

I sound like a shod horse on cobblestone when I'm walking along paved pathways. No chance of sneaking up on anyone. Or anything.

I have a pair of the Simms g3 guide boots with vibram soles and hard bite cleats to help with wear. Great boots, but I have come to the conclusion that I need to replace the sole every year. U can ship them back to Simms to have them put on new sole for 80 bones I think. However the last time I sent them back the warranted me a new pair. In my experience Simms have amazing customer service when it comes to warranty.

Guys,

All Vibram soles are not the same. The soles on your mountain boots is not designed for wet wading condition. The sole is harder and therefore lasts longer.

Just replacing the sole with Vibram doesn't mean you will get the best Vibram sole for wading boots.

Look over Vibrams site www.bcguidelines.ca/pdf/warfarin_management_food_guide.pd

And pay attention to the VSM section.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bringing this topic back up as I have understand that the vibram soles have changed in the past 18 months. Have opinions changed regarding the debate between felt and vibram?

I am looking to pick up a pair of Simms G3 Guide boots and have to make a decision between the two soles. Generally spend more time hiking and fishing smaller streams than the bow these days but would like to have the most versatile sole available for all conditions. Currently do not fish out of a boat so adding the vibram metal cleats would be an option as well.