Fly Fusion Forums

Cps Denying Access To Bow?

Jayhad

So as some of you know this spring there was a chain put across the entrance of the 17th/Blackfoot launch, a launch that many Bow river users utilize, regardless of activity.

After a lengthy process I was contacted by the person who oversees any issues of park usage for Calgary, he works for Alberta in parks not for the city. He stated the chain was put in place "illegally" by Paladin security and it would be removed. Well it was removed for a while but in august a new chain was in place and the old one was down the dirt road in a pile. So I drove through the barkmulch in front of the condos, probably shouldn't have done it but "a man's got to Julien."

After a week or so of this i was confronted by a Paladin Security person stating I couldn't drive through the "garden." I responded with Paladin security can't deny access to the public green space. This arguement on for a while until she told me that the week before a truck towing a drift boat tore the chain down and put up their own and it was making things diffucult for the construction company. I'm surprised they didnt have it removed.

Four days past and I went to the launch and the chain was removed, i figured problem solved.

So long story short today a "constable" leaves a message on my cell saying I can't use that launch anymore, and that the chain is for police and fire access only.
I have a real difficult time believing it was a cop, my reasons are;

1 - in all my dealings with getting the chain originally pulled down i was told by the alberta park boss that it is a provincial public launch and green space therefore access can't be restricted.

2 - in all my dealings with getting the chain originally pulled down i was told by both police and fire they use the large white gate with PROPERTY OF THE CITY OF CALGARY. for police, fire and ems usage only.

3 - called on my cell phone..... which is in my wife's name so i get the super deal because she is an employee of the provider.

4 - he didn't use my legal name, which every officer i've ever dealt with has.

5 - he didn't leave any contact info, no badge #, no district.

I'm going to report this to the police, the alberta parks, and the media.

If this isn't a prank we must show our displeasure, our access has been taken away at Bearspaw, and now the only launch between Shouldice Park in the NW and glenmore is being restricted. Those of us that own drifters, go on drifts, use pontoons, or rafts must come to action. Call or email your council person, FaceBook this and Tweet the mayor. With this being a local issue we can bring pressure on OUR elected officais and produce change much easier than this being a provincial or federal issue.

Rant over.
Jay

• Like 1

That sounds suspect at best.

Not like an "officer" to not state his name and leave contact information such as a file number and how to contact them.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. When this issue cme up earlier this year I tweeted Nenshi, and within two days a city employee contacted me and said it would be dealt with.

A week later there was the post saying the chain was down, so I thought that was the end of it. Doesn't seem that way now.

Agreed - where do they expect the people who use Harvey Passage recreationally to take out? That area needs a public launch.

This was one of the major missteps with the Harive Passage design, there was never a "formal" launch site developed in association with the project.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the boat launch opened by the intake to the treatment plant below Bearspaw? Not suggesting this is all that is needed to solve the larger access issue, but I thought it was now open….?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the boat launch opened by the intake to the treatment plant below Bearspaw? Not suggesting this is all that is needed to solve the larger access issue, but I thought it was now open….?

I think the launch below stoney trail is the one you are talking about? It has a post padlocked in the middle of the launch enterance and with that launch you would take out at sholdice park or glenmore if the 17th/blackfoot launch is closed

Thanks for staying on this Jahad.

I can't understand why there is not a designated public put in and take out with parking on the Middle Bow. It would seem to me it would be easier to regulate who and what the river is being used for.

I would also bet there would be less problems at the Harie Passage.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

thats whay they closed it. They are tryng to divert people over to the pay parking by the hatchers and there for its a shorter walk form the portage to your can then from 17 back around to the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

No update and the chain has been locked for several days.

I think everyone concerned should drop a line to your local council person and ask why the city spent 6.4 million (budget) and there is no access until 6.5 - 7 K down stream at Glenmore

http://www.calgary.ca/General/Pages/Calgary-City-Council.aspx

Myrna Dube is in charge of the project maybe she can shed some light

mdube@parksfdn.com

• 6 months later...
Hey everyone,

Well it's getting to the time of year where we all want to be on the water, but we still have to contend with a locked gate again at 17th/Blackfoot. I am very close to libertaing this gate myself, but I know that may end badly.

So let's all drum up support through our concil members, Tweet the mayor and let's get this gate pulled for good.

If there is anything I can do to lead the charge let me know.

Thanks,
Jay
Release the hounds

What's the response from the city recently?

The response so far from 311 is that has been no notification made in the last year that the boat launch is to be closed to the public, they have sent it up the chain.

Bcube, I would have thought you would have the key though. <--poke--<

If you decide to call the city to push this, first of all thanks, second of all remind them that we TAX PAYERS spent a butt load of cash to make this section navigatable and having no launches with in 5K seems to be a bit of an oversight

i have a key........bolt cutters

so do I but it doesn't address the problem, and then one day you will show up to use the launch and there will be a new chain put in place.......... but, it does seem to be the easiest solution

I got a call from Parks today and the launch at 17th/Blackfoot is closed. The condo complex doesn't have to provide access anymore. I was told that if they get enough pressure planning will look into another launch, but I wouldn't expect one for a while.

I'm going to put pressure on my council person and the mayor, please continue to pound away at 311 questioning the launch closure as the guy I spoke to says it does make an impact. He also agreed that this was a major mistake and clearly an over sight when harvie passage was planned...... bummer that upper section is fun.

I may contact the media as well.

Again Jayhad tip of the hat to you.

If this chain was put up by condo management would it not be considered illegal, and with that said what if someone was to cut the post off at the ground that was closest to Blackfoot.

I would imagine that one is on city property.

I do not see the City wanting to charge someone for taking something down that is illegal to be there in the first place.

The chain is blocking access to privately held land, which we must cross to access the river so no it isn't illegal. I urge all of you to call 311, take 5 minutes of your day to call and complain. We as a Bow river user group have had our access points taken away. We have lost two points in as many years, we lost bearspaw and now this, if we continue to be silent our access points will continually be taken away.

You may think, I don't drift the upper section no biggy, but the more access that is taken away the more pressure will be added to the points of access that remain.

Contact your council members. tweet the mayor, facebook everyone you know about this. I will start a FB group and I am going to contact the media, perhaps we can start getting some where and in a few years we may be able to drift the city section again.

• Like 2

Hey everyone if you have a facebook account head to the City of Calgary page and blast them \https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofCalgary?fref=ts

Below is what I posted

How come the people of Calgary & Alberta paid bundles in tax dollars to have Harvey Passage made passable only to have the ONLY boat launch with in 5KMs of the passage blocked to public usage? There needs to be more thought put into projects like this. The City of Calgary is blocking our usage of the Bow River.

If we squeak enough we may just get some grease