Fly Fusion Forums

Cps Denying Access To Bow?

Jayhad

Jayhad, are you sure about your point about the gravel road being privately held land? If that is the case, how have fire/rescue boats (as well as recreationists) been able to access the launch all these years? Is it possible to have private land so close to a major roadway? I.e., might not the gravel be part of the legal road allowance? It would be great if that were so.

Regarding an earlier point about becoming locked in, the alternative method is to pop in there with your boat ready to go, launch within a couple of minutes and get your vehicle out of there, parking at Pierce Park and asking the shuttle service for as early a pickup as possible, or even running your own shuttle immediately. That minimizes the chances of an unpleasant encounter.

It's still an imperfect solution, of course. And on a wider level, disturbing that much of the Bow has become an essentially no-float zone.

George,

am I sure that the land is private? As sure as I can be when both a city planner and city parks official tells me it is private land. We were able to access this launch until phase three of the condo project started, at which point the developer had to provide access to CPD&CFD, which they have. this was all originally in the development plan.

I have used this boat launch in the past and have seen the chain at the entrance. I am a lawyer and one of my partners who does real estate is searching the title on that access road and pulling the sub-division plan for the adjacent condo developments. Stay tuned and I will post anything we can find out about this situation.

• Like 1

I have used this boat launch in the past and have seen the chain at the entrance. I am a lawyer and one of my partners who does real estate is searching the title on that access road and pulling the sub-division plan for the adjacent condo developments. Stay tuned and I will post anything we can find out about this situation.

Sweet and thank you, I am only being provided information from the city via phone conversations, so I am not 100% convinced what I have been told is the truth....

Keep up the work everyone if we sit idle no changes will be made.

Hello,

I can assure you that this issue did come up multiple times over the course of the 4+ year planning process for the Harvie Passage project. The Calgary Parks Foundation would likely have notes to this effect. I do recall a meeting where the fire department was invited and they discussed their concerns with increased usage of this launch (A. by rafters, B. by kayakers and C. and the accurately foreseen increased use by the fire department themselves) and how they currently have a hard time at this access site to launch their craft (they require blocking the sidewalk so they can safely turn around). I left the meeting with the distinct impression that they had the ability to close access to the site if they felt that increased access would impact their ability to easily and quickly access the river.

I understand that the condo development may be experiencing some money or legal issues ("goatman" may find out more about that) which would likely complicate the agreements made a few years ago to retain current access to this site. there was a plan to re-route access to the launch after the development was completed, but as you can see that development has been stalled for a while now.

The bigger issue is that these access sites are being lost and not replaced. Most people do not realize how close we came to permanently loosing access at Policeman's... Policeman's has not yet been formally handed over to parks as was the plan as there are many complicating factors.

Access cost and maintenance is a huge issue for these sites, so when looking for new or additional sites this must be considered. Maybe there is an opportunity to create a new site and find sufficient funding to ensure it remains operational- in or around a currently utilized park? Somewhere with safe river access, adequate parking potential, near a regularly maintained park.. maybe there is a way to make this happen at Inglewood golf course? under Ogden RD? St. Patrick's Island redevelopment? maybe there is some thinking outside the box needed to get this done.

I can also tell you that there are members of the paddling community going through a process to identify and spec out new access sites in the city.

planno0914922.pdf

I have attached the plan that contains the boat launch and access road and an aerial photo. , Hopefully you can open it. planno0914922.pdf

The boat launch and the access road are owned by the city. The property line on the southern boundary of the condo complex appears to be on the existing fence.

Anyway, what we don't know with certainty is who is putting up the chain. If it is the condo people or their security firm who is doing it then it is likely unlawful unless they have an agreement with the city. I am looking into that. Regards

• Like 2

attachicon.gifplanno0914922.pdf

I have attached the plan that contains the boat launch and access road and an aerial photo. , Hopefully you can open it. attachicon.gifplanno0914922.pdf

The boat launch and the access road are owned by the city. The property line on the southern boundary of the condo complex appears to be on the existing fence.

Anyway, what we don't know with certainty is who is putting up the chain. If it is the condo people or their security firm who is doing it then it is likely unlawful unless they have an agreement with the city. I am looking into that. Regards

Thanks Goatman,

This is clearly in contradiction to what I have been told by city staffers. Thanks for the help Goatman. Being a laywer do you thnk we have any legal standpoint to have access granted?

Here is the reply from the city after inquiring via their Facebook page:

While The City of Calgary worked with the provincial government on this project the Harvie Passage is owned and maintained by the Government of Alberta.

http://www.harviepassage.ca/about.html

Thanks for your concern though, we understand the frustration.

http://environment.alberta.ca/04012.html

Here is the reply from the city after inquiring via their Facebook page:

While The City of Calgary worked with the provincial government on this project the Harvie Passage is owned and maintained by the Government of Alberta.

http://www.harviepassage.ca/about.html

Thanks for your concern though, we understand the frustration.

http://environment.alberta.ca/04012.html

Jeff,

It appears who ever answered you is an idiot.... the issue isn't Harvie Passage, it's the lack of boat launch access below the passage.

Goatman: GREAT news that the access road is owned by the city, that's simply fantastic. It also explains the rather tentative attempt at closure, i.e., no enormous No Trespassing signs, chain-link fence, etc., just a little wee chain.

Thank you so much for your work on this, to our benefit.

This next point is speculation, but I would think that if there was an agreement in place authorizing the closure, that the physical closure itself would be more vigorous/physically imposing.

What I really want to find out is who is putting up the chain? Based on some of the previous posts it looks like a security firm is responsible. Obviously, they are being instructed by someone to do it. I am talking to Michelle at Bow River shuttles to see if she knows anything. Once I get some reliable info I am going to send a letter to the concerned parties including the city. I want to use that boat launch for my drift boat as I have done many times in the past. I will post anything I can find out. Cheers

drive over the river there a lot and there is always Big groups of rafters staging there how do they get access?

I've thought the same thing, but that is a school function running the rafts so maybe they have a special permission? and each time I have seen them this week, the gate is still locked. I think there is a way drive through the construction site but I haven't confirmed