Fly Fusion Forums

Are Bow River Trout Leader Shy?

If I'm trying to revive a dead horse with this thread, my bad.

Any thoughts on how to keep one's leader from getting sucked down while dry fishing?

My fly seems to stay up well, but the leader goes down, causing a delayed drift. I know the Bow can be kinda freaky current-wise near some of the deeper banks.

Perhaps I need to go to a lighter tapered leader? Now that the water is lower, maybe I can get away with a 5x into a fluoro tippet...hmm.

-M.

• Like 1

Grease you leader up to a foot from the fly. Use a reach cast to add a bunch of extra line on the water to get a longer drift.

I did try some reach casts, and it worked much better, except for the really strong upwelling/swirls.

Thanks,

-M.

If I'm trying to revive a dead horse with this thread, my bad.

Any thoughts on how to keep one's leader from getting sucked down while dry fishing?

My fly seems to stay up well, but the leader goes down, causing a delayed drift. I know the Bow can be kinda freaky current-wise near some of the deeper banks.

Perhaps I need to go to a lighter tapered leader? Now that the water is lower, maybe I can get away with a 5x into a fluoro tippet...hmm.

-M.

There is an incredible wealth of information in the archives. I do not think anyone will slight you for using the 'search' function. :)

For dries, I will use either 9' 4x mono to 45cm 5x fluoro tippet (for size 16 or smaller flies) or 9' 4x mono to 45cm 4x fluoro (for anything else). In both cases, I grease the mono, and I leave the tippet untouched.

Something I have found to have a positive effect is using a Turle Knot if your fly hook has either an upward or downward eye. When tied properly, the Turle Knot line always comes straight out the eye of the hook. A clinch has a noose effect, and if the knot becomes shifted in the eye, it can drive your tippet into (or out of) the water.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an incredible wealth of information in the archives. I do not think anyone will slight you for using the 'search' function. :)

For dries, I will use either 9' 4x mono to 45cm 5x fluoro tippet (for size 16 or smaller flies) or 9' 4x mono to 45cm 4x fluoro (for anything else). In both cases, I grease the mono, and I leave the tippet untouched.

Something I have found to have a positive effect is using a Turle Knot if your fly hook has either an upward or downward eye. When tied properly, the Turle Knot line always comes straight out the eye of the hook. A clinch has a noose effect, and if the knot becomes shifted in the eye, it can drive your tippet into (or out of) the water.

Hey, just noticed this scel,

Searching through 1000+ posts for a relevant topic (archives) is like pulling teeth, and I'm sure the Oracles on this site would agree. I appreciate the forum's expertise, and I understand the 'dead horse' idea. But, maybe newbies like me could have some brains in us! :raz:

I have found a happy medium with leader issues, and a new mend technique, but the deeper swirls are still challenging. Can't be perfect I guess ;)

The Turle knot is fun to tie in a comfortable living room, but I use the 'Non-Slip-Loop' every time, and it has done me well. I have never tied a clinch knot on flies.

-M.