Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Staff

Brad29,

I've got a couple and all of them are either two short or flimsy. I finally settled on a old cross country ski pole that is just long enough that it will barely fit from the ground to under my arm pit.

From the guys in BC, I learned that wading staffs should be readily available. The guys I fished with used a 1/4" nylon rope about 6' or so long with a loop in the end. One end was tied to the staff and the other was formed into a loop that you placed over your head. The rope is the right length if you can walk along, reach back with your hand and it grabs the ski pole handle.

I've got some types with holsters et al. A pain in the butt.

regards,

Don

I've used a trekking pole, then the Springbrook multi-section pole with interior shock cord, and finally the Simms wading staff. The Simms is the absolute best. It folds into a compact unit that resides in a holster on your wading belt. It is attached to a retractor cable, and best of all, once extended, it is locked. The Springbrook model has all of that, but it does not lock when extended. Terry

I use one quite a bit. The best one I've had is one I got from Speyghillie. It's a big one piece, but I really like the way it feels. If I know I was going to some big water, I bring it. But if I'm doing a bunch of hiking I usually just bring a collapsible hiking pole. I also cross the Bow in a few places, and the hiking pole does just fine.

I use mine ALL the time!! I bought it from Cabelas but a similar one is available at BPS. Collapsible and fits in a holster.....around $40. Haven't tried others so i can't compare, but this model works for me.

I always use a wading staff, much safer. I've tried a few different styles and makes including the collapsible ones which can fold up at the wrong time. Most I found to be too light for big water (OK on small streams). I have one from Sharpe's Of Aberdeen from "Speyghillie" on this board. The really nice thing about it is it's a one piece and has a weighted bottom so it doesn't float but is easy to plant with a rubber tip so it's quiet, unlike a ski pole type that is very noisy and puts the trout down. Saved me from a few dumps.

I've used a trekking pole, then the Springbrook multi-section pole with interior shock cord, and finally the Simms wading staff. The Simms is the absolute best. It folds into a compact unit that resides in a holster on your wading belt. It is attached to a retractor cable, and best of all, once extended, it is locked. The Springbrook model has all of that, but it does not lock when extended. Terry

I use one a lot and I've had 3 different models.

To me, the Simms is too skinny and flimsy and is way too long for anyone under 7ft 6. (Their shortest is 52cm). Example: You would not hike with long cross country ski poles, so why would you wade with one? This seems to be lost on the people at Simms---I corresponded with them over this.

A wading staff should be about the height of your hand when elbow is bent at 90 degrees away from body. The best one is made by SNOWBEE, shock cord, multi section with holster. Like the Simms only made by people who actually have some idea. I sold my Simms for $20 and was glad to see it go.

Do not ever buy a Dan Bailey model if you see one. So poorly designed, the sections jam at each joint and don't come apart. And they won't answer emails either.

When your elbow is bent 90 degrees, your strength and stability are significantly reduced, compared to a 60 degree angle. I don't have a dgree in biomechanics, but anyone can try it and see. I like the top of the handle to be close to even with the top of my waders. It then works nicely as a hand held wading "sounder", which helps prevent stepping into holes that are deeper than you expected.

When your elbow is bent 90 degrees, your strength and stability are significantly reduced, compared to a 60 degree angle. When your elbow is lower than your hand you can kind of tuck in your elbow and lock your shoulder. I don't have a degree in biomechanics, but anyone can try it and see. I like the top of the handle to be close to even with the top of my waders. It then works nicely as a hand held wading "sounder", which helps prevent stepping into holes that are deeper than you expected.

When your elbow is bent 90 degrees, your strength and stability are significantly reduced, compared to a 60 degree angle. When your elbow is lower than your hand you can kind of tuck in your elbow and lock your shoulder. I don't have a degree in biomechanics, but anyone can try it and see. I like the top of the handle to be close to even with the top of my waders. It then works nicely as a hand held wading "sounder", which helps prevent stepping into holes that are deeper than you expected.

You got me doubting myself, so I measured mine and it is 51" which is just right for me at 5'11" and my arm is somewhere between 90 degrees and 60 degrees. The Simms one was 54" I think, they now have a 52" model, but their staff only folds in 4 sections so even when stowed it was like carrying a bloody long sword. The Snowbee is in 6 sections which is better. As for stepping in deep holes, I can usually judge by the colour unless it is dirty, and since I am a chicken sh*t with anything above thigh high, I just back off, or otherwise, reach and prod about.

For me it's mostly about stability. Without it I wobble like a drunk half the time. And that's before I tie into the Bigrock Honey brown.

Guest NamasteMushroom

Leki poles; they're not wading staffs specifically, but they're what every fly-fishing company copies or rebrands.

Leki poles; they're not wading staffs specifically, but they're what every fly-fishing company copies or rebrands.

From what I see, not one flyfishing company copies Leki. Leki makes a multitude of telescopic poles for hiking, whereas actual wading staffs are multi-section shock corded and assemble themselves when simply lifted out of the holster---with one hand. Leki poles take 2 hands to extend which is why they are not copied for wading staffs by any flyfishing company I have seen. And I don't see that any come with a carrying holster for your waist either because they don't fold up small enough.

Guest NamasteMushroom
From what I see, not one flyfishing company copies Leki. Leki makes a multitude of telescopic poles for hiking, whereas actual wading staffs are multi-section shock corded and assemble themselves when simply lifted out of the holster---with one hand. Leki poles take 2 hands to extend which is why they are not copied for wading staffs by any flyfishing company I have seen. And I don't see that any come with a carrying holster for your waist either because they don't fold up small enough.

Orvis makes a telescopic wading staff. I can't recall, but I know a few other fly fishing companies have telescopic ones as well (I know only because I sold them few a few years back when I worked in two different fly shops).

Leki poles fold up plenty small and most come with a carabiner.

I'm trying to understand your requirements....you 'need' a wading staff that you can pull out - mid stream with one-hand, and has a holster?

I apologize in advance if you only have one hand, I don't mean to be rude........although if that's the case, can you show me how to thread a size 20 hook- one handed?

Orvis makes a telescopic wading staff. I can't recall, but I know a few other fly fishing companies have telescopic ones as well (I know only because I sold them few a few years back when I worked in two different fly shops).

I'm trying to understand your requirements....you 'need' a wading staff that you can pull out - mid stream with one-hand, and has a holster?

I apologize in advance if you only have one hand, I don't mean to be rude........although if that's the case, can you show me how to thread a size 20 hook- one handed?

I wouldn't use a telescoping wading staff. Remember you are using it to regain your balance after you have slipped or for an extra balance point while wading and walking in current. I don't think that having a section collapse while leaning on the pole will help much with keeping you from getting dunked. I use a sprinkbrook one with the shockcord and to make it more rigid I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around each section so it doesn't pull apart while using it.

Yup. I do.

I guess it has never happened to you, but for me, there are times where I've started to wade across not expecting to need the wading staff, and then I get out there and it is faster, deeper , more slippery (or all three) than expected. So with a telescopic staff, it would be "Now I wish I had the damn wading staff ready to go" but with multi sectional shock corded it's easy.

My right hand holds the rod and with my left hand alone it is very simple to flip the holster cover up, lift out the multi section staff and when I grasp the handle it immediately assembles itself and I can continue wading more confidently. That is why they're designed like that. Always having it attached and dangling or trailing can be a nuisance--- if not a trip hazard---so I can then stow it again unless I need to continue using it. Can't do this with a telescopic pole. I used an old telescopic ski pole for one summer and there's no comparison.

Most of the time when walking or wading my wading staff is slung behind me a and just drags on the ground or in the water. Because it's bottom weighted when in the water is sinks like a stone and hangs behind me till I need it. I often lean on it against my back. It's sch a part of my river fishing that I feel lost without my third leg. It's been not only wading staff, test out the bottom type (mud etc), walking staff, but a great place to steady a camera, ward off a nasty dog, break bush, hang clothes to dry, make a lean-to and once to push away a too curious rattler.

Guys,

I'm with Silver Doc on this one. A single shaft is better. Doesn't come apart every time the pointy end sticks into soft ground or between rocks.

Plus my knees seem to need support nearly every step. A holstered staff is just too cumbersome. A staff dragging along behind me works best. My rope sling is adjusted so that the handle reaches just above my knee. That allows enough rope to allow staff placement well away from my body @ an angle downstream for crossings or as support while stepping down.

Regards,

Don

I have never had my telscopic collapse, and mine is an older model leki ski touring pole (read friggin strong), and I have put nearly full body weight on it many times. Don't do something silly like lube it and it'll hold just fine. Just clean it once in a while.

I wouldn't trust electrical tape (or any tape including duct) on a hot day to keep a a shock corded staff from pulling apart - I have had to yard mine out of pinched rocks with both hands a number of times. almost did the "nestea plunge" a couple times LOL

One thing I like with the telescopic is I can lengthen it to chin height which is an ass-saver in belly button to wader height crossings which can occur late on hot days - mine even came with a second foam handle about 12 inches down for two handing (meant for steep slope trasversing) just put your rod in your mouth and your stable enough to cross water you couldn't do with only one hand on the staff.

It shortens to about 16 inches with two 3/4 turns of each segment and pops into the same spot you carry your tube on your backpack

So for anyone reading this, seems like if you have a nice telescoping hiking or ski pole of some kind it works for a lot of people. However, this being fly fishing, you really should not use simple and practical when expensive and impractical will do the trick. Fly fishing is a highly specialized sport and only equipment specifically made for fly fishing should be considered, the more expensive and specialized the better. (do I need to add my sarcasm emoticon here?)

Yet one more reason to be grateful for this forum: such passionate debate...about a balance stick. :)

Love it!

Neat to see how everyone has adapted a system to make their own version/method work.

We gave my dad a telescopic, so far, no problems.

As for myself, I have mostly been swayed by the argument for a Snowbee model; Don's approach makes sense, but I can't see myself just letting a long one piece staff trail behind me.

Smitty