Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Staff

And with keeping to Ricks "made for the fly flinging set" I'm announcing @ this point that soon I will be providing a split bamboo wading staff of multiple pieces c/w with nickel silver ferrules. The pointy end will be constructed on Carboloy in keeping with bamboo tradition. Of course, the handle will be wrapped with baby seal fur hide tanned expressly for this purpose by natives living along the Atlantic Salmon Rivers of Eastern Canada. The holster will be of tanned Muskox treated with Narwhal Whale Oil. An insert into the handle with be of Narwhals tusk scrimshawed discreetly with a mayfly of choice.

At this point, I'd suspect that the price point will exceed $3,000.

Line starts to the right.

Of course, the guy that build it will keep with the old aluminum ski pole that he dug outta the garage and has absolutely no bling. Mind you, the duct tape holding the cord into place is a nice touch.

catch ya'

Don

I bought one for $20 and I felt like I stole it from the dude ;)

I only use it in the spring and winter but was the best $20 I've ever spent ( On fly fishing ) :troutpunch:

haha---That's a real deal when both parties end up happy! Glad it's working out for ya cuz I bought beer with the $20.

Another use for a wading staff---Your fly is stuck up in a tree out of arm's reach. You can take the wading staff and give the branch a good whack and snap it off completely. That's a bonus when that works.

And imagine you round the corner and see a bear---you can whip that shock corded staff out and be ready to duel. Just make sure you don't drop it because up here we don't have the right to arm bears. :P

And with keeping to Ricks "made for the fly flinging set" I'm announcing @ this point that soon I will be providing a split bamboo wading staff of multiple pieces c/w with nickel silver ferrules. The pointy end will be constructed on Carboloy in keeping with bamboo tradition. Of course, the handle will be wrapped with baby seal fur hide tanned expressly for this purpose by natives living along the Atlantic Salmon Rivers of Eastern Canada. The holster will be of tanned Muskox treated with Narwhal Whale Oil. An insert into the handle with be of Narwhals tusk scrimshawed discreetly with a mayfly of choice.

Of course, the guy that build it will keep with the old aluminum ski pole that he dug outta the garage and has absolutely no bling. Mind you, the duct tape holding the cord into place is a nice touch.

catch ya'

Don

I want one!

Guest NamasteMushroom
So for anyone reading this, seems like if you have a nice telescoping hiking or ski pole of some kind it works for a lot of people. However, this being fly fishing, you really should not use simple and practical when expensive and impractical will do the trick. Fly fishing is a highly specialized sport and only equipment specifically made for fly fishing should be considered, the more expensive and specialized the better. (do I need to add my sarcasm emoticon here?)

Yep - hit the bull’s eye there.

And then to the wading staff specifically; the idea of regularly putting yourself in a treacherous and potentially dangerous situation while wading - so much so that you need a specific tool to get you out of the mess.....

If you are crossing a piece of water and you pull out your wading staff anticipating minor difficulty-acceptable.

If you cross a river, things get messy and slippery, and instead of turning around you fumble with a pole midstream (while holding a rod in the other hand) - unacceptable.

Oh Darwin.....

catch ya'

Don

Come up with something a little more realistic, and you might just have a hit on your hands.

Yep - hit the bull’s eye there.

And then to the wading staff specifically; the idea of regularly putting yourself in a treacherous and potentially dangerous situation while wading - so much so that you need a specific tool to get you out of the mess.....

If you are crossing a piece of water and you pull out your wading staff anticipating minor difficulty-acceptable.

If you cross a river, things get messy and slippery, and instead of turning around you fumble with a pole midstream (while holding a rod in the other hand) - unacceptable.

Oh Darwin.....

Yeah doing that regularly would be dumb. Glad I don't do that. I wish I had your prescience though.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prescient in case you need this. :D

Well....yeah. Duh!

All humor and banter aside, I don't care if I get a staff from a garage sale or a gilded diamond one from Simms (not that I can afford the gilded diamond one on a teacher's salary:)).

Price is a distant 3rd behind (1)safety and (2)practicality/ease-of-use. If it happens to be $20, great!

Smitty

Come up with something a little more realistic, and you might just have a hit on your hands.

Heh Junior,

You have any idea how tough it is to get a Muskox tanned or a Narwhal harpooned?

$3,000 may not cut it.

As far as building a cane staff - seen them. Not sure that I'd want one. High maint. Mind you, if you want life time warranty, the price just jumped to $5,000

catch ya'

Don

Guest NamasteMushroom
Yeah doing that regularly would be dumb. Glad I don't do that. I wish I had your prescience though.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prescient in case you need this. :D

Thanks for the dictionary reference. A new word for me [prescience].....but I'm sure others such as yourself were born with your vocabulary. That said, I think you're confusing prescience with providence.

Heh Junior,

You have any idea how tough it is to get a Muskox tanned or a Narwhal harpooned?

$3,000 may not cut it.

As far as building a cane staff - seen them. Not sure that I'd want one. High maint. Mind you, if you want life time warranty, the price just jumped to $5,000

catch ya'

Don

I just figured there'd be a market for them, if you made it a little more plain jane and affordable.