Fly Fusion Forums

Put A Power Boat Ban On The Bow

Was out on my pontoon boat floating and fishing with a couple of friends on Satruday from Policeman's Flat's to Mckinnon Flats and we

had at least five Jet type boat fly right by us without slowing down. They nearly swapped us with there waves. One of the times I even

used my hand to get them to slow down and with no respect they just kept the same speed. WOW is about all I can say. How disrepectful

can you be and man boat like that should totally be banned on the Bow River System.

Sorry but I just needed to rant about that. Other than that the fishing/float was amazing.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

haha, try the red dear as they are not fishing jets but racers! but get used to it as it is public land and power boats are sweet. This is like saying that motorcycles should not be allowed on the road because they cut through traffic and pop wheelies while im stuck in deerfoot traffic.

haha, try the red dear as they are not fishing jets but racers! but get used to it as it is public land and power boats are sweet. This is like saying that motorcycles should not be allowed on the road because they cut through traffic and pop wheelies while im stuck in deerfoot traffic.

That is perhaps one of the worst analogies that I have ever encountered. Too much 4:20 before that was written. I do not see how you can equate the small unpowered pontoon boat to a (relatively) large car that is not moving, to a small agile motorcycle. Does the motorcycle rock a car in a wake when it passes? Does the motorcycle put the car driver in any danger or harm? Seriously, worst analogy ever.

i also think that powered boats should be banned based on the pure economics of the Bow River fishery. I have discussed it with several people at McKinnon Flats who spend the day floating the river saying, "it was so peaceful until we passed Policeman's Flats. It is ironic that the further we got away from the city, the more it felt like a big city was close by."

Public use land does not give one the right to act like a dick. Fine, I accept that powered boats are a great travel method, but the engines should be cut to pass waders and unpowered flotation devices. If people implemented simply courtesy, there would not be the need for explicit rules.

Public use land does not give one the right to act like a dick. Fine, I accept that powered boats are a great travel method, but the engines should be cut to pass waders and unpowered flotation devices. If people implemented simply courtesy, there would not be the need for explicit rules.

Ummmmm no for various reasons. 1. It would be non-stop starting and stopping. Hard on drive trains, pumps and minds. 2. A boat on plane equals less boat in river, which than has less wake. Don't hate the jets cause you don't have one people.

Ummmmm no for various reasons. 1. It would be non-stop starting and stopping. Hard on drive trains, pumps and minds. 2. A boat on plane equals less boat in river, which than has less wake. Don't hate the jets cause you don't have one people.

Hating them has nothing to do with wanting them. Don't confuse yourself.

You couldn't give me one of those damn things, but then I feel the same way about sleds and quads. I am quite content to enjoy the peace and quiet while using my legs and lungs and not disturbing anyone else.

2. A boat on plane equals less boat in river, which than has less wake.

I've always found this confusing. I do know that if you slow down a bit it will create more wake, but what if you slow down a lot? It seems to me it would be like trolling in a boat, when the speed is super slow there's almost no wake. Is it different with jet boats on a river? Just curious as I've heard your argument a lot from people.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

as a pontoon you do have the right of way the same as a sail boat to a motor boat on the ocean or lake. Im not saying that they dont have to slow down, thats just common curtsy.

but to ban them would be just stupid. IMHO

look at long arms, that worked well...

Jet boats need to be kept on plane to run the shallows.its too hard on them to keep slowing down and speeding up for every boat on the bow.i try to keep as far as i can from smaller boats when running upriver.the best option is in city floats.

Hmmm... Every time I've jetted/floated with Tungsten, he slows down for Drift boats, pontoons, even wading anglers... Never hear him complain that he has to slow down - he does it out of courtesy!!

He should teach classes!!

Talk about disrespectful jet boaters!! The Cochrane section is INSANE!

P

No need to go flying by other guys floating by whatever means. I pull over and stop, big deal. No different with a jet on the lower section than floating near an unseen shore angler on the city section, usually no matter what you get looked at like you're an ***hole.

Did anyone here the DJ on cj92 this afternoon about 5 pm?i guess he floated yesterday police to mac and had a jet come upstream at there boat.He complained that the jet drove over the "good water" that they were gonna fish!I laughed.

Story Time....... Im out with Tungsten on his Jet Boat we pull up to the shore and anchor up he gets out his rod throws his streamer in the water 5 feet off the side of the boat while he gets a few things to get it out of the way goes to pick up his rod and ALIKAZZZZZAM! Effin Wizard hooks up with a 16 inch Brown. Right beside the boat that just pulled in with the motor humming. Jet boats DO NOT scare the fish away they are part of their environment.....I know this has nothing to do with the point of the original post just had to share the story...Blew my effin mind mang!.

Guest Grinr
Jet boats need to be kept on plane to run the shallows.its too hard on them to keep slowing down and speeding up for every boat on the bow.i try to keep as far as i can from smaller boats when running upriver.the best option is in city floats.

WOW!That entire post is so wrong on so many levels.

So in other words...screw everybody else???

Story Time....... Im out with Tungsten on his Jet Boat we pull up to the shore and anchor up he gets out his rod throws his streamer in the water 5 feet off the side of the boat while he gets a few things to get it out of the way goes to pick up his rod and ALIKAZZZZZAM! Effin Wizard hooks up with a 16 inch Brown. Right beside the boat that just pulled in with the motor humming. Jet boats DO NOT scare the fish away they are part of their environment.....I know this has nothing to do with the point of the original post just had to share the story...Blew my effin mind mang!.

I remember that!

I was blown away by that!

motorized boats should be banned, down to carseland weir - why? when i think of The Blue Ribbon Bow as a world renowned flyfishing destination - im sorry, motorized boats dont come to mind. i could only guess at the horror a guide must feel, taking 500$ plus from a couple guys who flew to calgary from afar, only to have a beautiful day interupted by a screaming boat...

motorized boats are for lakes, not rivers. just one guys opinion.

Hating them has nothing to do with wanting them. Don't confuse yourself.

You couldn't give me one of those damn things, but then I feel the same way about sleds and quads. I am quite content to enjoy the peace and quiet while using my legs and lungs and not disturbing anyone else.

Good so you should'nt mind a jet blasting by, after you use your legs and lungs to boot pack in to some remote place.

motorized boats are for lakes, not rivers. just one guys opinion.

Jet boats were designed to run rivers. They aren't very good at all in lakes.

Like mentioned before a jet has to stay on plane to stay on top of the water. If they were to slow down and hit some shallow water they would be stuck on the bottom. Being on plane also gives way less of a wake then a boat that is slowing down. As soon as you lay off the throttle the back end up the boat will start to sink causing the wake to be quite a bit bigger.

I don't fish the bow so I can't say either way what should happen but I think they have just as much right on the river as anyone else as long as they are following the laws set in place.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

And just because you didn't catch many fish on your trip it does not mean the jets scared them all...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Thank you taco for posting a silver lining to this issue. Just like the treatment plants that we all fish, its how we take advantage of these man made changes.

Jets dont piss me off, people piss me off. There are certain jet drivers that have a reputation for thinking they own the river and there have been words with them.

Having been out with a couple of experienced & courteous jet owners, like anything, it comes down to the driver. I am sure there are some jet drivers that would think pontoons should be banned. I don't know that I would knowingly put myself in such a small craft in a river where I know there are power boats and limited sight lines at times.

There have been times that I have been rowing and came across a pontoon anchored up in a bad place and had to hit the oars pretty hard to get out of the guys way.

It's just a matter of looking out for each other.

Andrew