Fly Fusion Forums

Vises,which Do You Use......

Flytyer

Well I got to rambling a bit here. Guess I should gather these thoughts together and post an article.

sounds like a great idea. i'd love to read that.

my other vices... scotch 15+, cigars, fly fishing and ... ;)

i know the one vise i purchased from Wholesale was on the lower end of $$ scale at about $60. i have had it for 6 years, it holds hooks and hasnt broken, cracked or fallen apart. i dont know any of the name brands that anyone has mentioned but i'm sure they all work just fine.

I use 2 a decent pedestal (don't know the brand buts its decent) and a cheapo table mount..... I prefer the table mount but its not a rotary and that annoys me sometimes. Next vise will be a nor...... no doubt. I have been hmmming and hawwwing about it for some time now as they are not cheap but I want one. But until time allows me to tie a lot more I think I will make do with the cheapies..... they work.

This is the vice I use...no idea what it is...pretty cheap but it got handed down from my grandpa who never used it.

Sept28027.jpg

That's an old Thompson , forget the model but had one of those back more years than I care to remember. It was the first vise I ever had.

Din,

It's a Thompson model "B". One of the best vices ever sold. Cost was about $10.00 when I started tying. Other than a touch of lub on the vice jaw mouth and the tightening screw they last forever.

I use a Barracuda Dyna King + a HMH. Retired the Thompson A, sold the Veniard rotary and wore out the Herter's Thompson A rip-off.

regards,

Don

I use a Vosseler. I like it a lot, though admittedly it is a little differet, The suction cup base lends itself well to tying at work or on the hood of my truck and the jaw for the larger hooks #14 and up, will hold the hook until you totally bend or break the hook shank.

IMGP1005.jpg

IMGP0934.jpg

IMGP0938.jpg

Din,

It's a Thompson model "B". One of the best vices ever sold. Cost was about $10.00 when I started tying. Other than a touch of lub on the vice jaw mouth and the tightening screw they last forever.

regards,

Don

Thanks Don & Flytyer. Its a great vice. Ive tried a friends rotary but couldnt tie on it for the life of me.

Have only ever used one vise. It came in my $12.95 tying kit in 1976, and looks like a really bad Thompson knockoff. The jaws are canted about 10 degrees towards me and I had to file the ends to match them up. Still it's held every hook from size 20 to 3/0 that I slap in it and I've never really felt a need for something else. Of course, I refuse to get a cell phone too, so maybe I'm just low tech :-)

Peak vise for me. Got one when they first came out. No one was selling them in Canada at the time, so had to order one straight from the factory. Got a good deal with a whole bunch of extras.

No problems with it, still love it.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it wrong that I want a norvise and a LAW....... I think I'm sick guys I really do......

If you can afford and justify both then by all means go for it. You are the one that can make the final call on that one.

LOL I can nary afford or justify the LAW but man thats a sweet looking piece of machinery. The nor on the other hand is in my price range and has mainly good reviews but also a frequent try before ya buy warning. The review I just read states that the automatic bobbin is basically a required addition. I will of course get one but I was curious as to why its a required addition?

The required addition part is an opinion, but if you want to get the most out of the Nor, the automatics help you do that. If you have not seen the demo videos at the Nor-vise site I recommend taking a look and that should give you a better idea of why that required addition statement exists. I know I only use regular bobbind for wire and floss but auto only for thread. Hope this helps somewhat.