Fly Fusion Forums

Backpacking Trip (help)!!

So my friends and I are planning a 2 night backpacking/fishing trip this summer. I’m 15 and my friends are 16 and we are all in grade 10. We are thinking about doing the cataract creek loop. We are all very skilful with camping, bush craft, and hiking. We are also very responsible and know all the rules. We think it’s a good idea however…my parents won’t let me go… what do you guys think? <--poke--<

While this isnt the answer you probably want to hear I suggest you listen to your parents. Don't be offended but you are only 15 and while things most likely would turn out to be completely fine, if things turn for the worst it's not worth the risk. I recommend as much as it may change the atmosphere of your adventure convince a parent or older sibling to share the trip. As I've found growing up, Arguing just makes things worse, put your maturity to its test and just have a good old chat with your parents.

Good luck!

My Dad would drop me and my friend ages 16 off in the sunshine village parking lot and he would come pick us up 10 days later they were best times of my life. Im still alive....... tell your parents they're ruining your life and if you end up on meth and in jail its their fault........Im joking. Now that im older and i have kids of my own i think about my father droping me off and i think GOOD CRAP! what was he thinking....... but he trusted us and he knew we were more than capable in handling ourselves,we always left with a plan he knew exacly where we were going we were first aid trained and we had been running around in the mountains since we were 11 years old, at 16 we were more capable than most adults taking tha same adventures. My advice to you would be to write out and present a plan find out what their concerns are and try to resolve them. However if you cant find a resolve respect your parents decission they have a responsability to make decisions that keep you not dead.

There is not a chance on this planet I would let my kids do a multi-day camping trip without me. Like Jared, my parents would have let me do it at that age (I think). But I couldn't do it. Even if my boys had come to me with a detailed plan, I would not have been able to pull the trigger on it. And if by some miracle they could convince me, there is absolutely no chance my wife would ever be convinced.

It's probably not fair to them but I don't care. My heart would not be able to take it. They would be mad at me (big time!), but they've been mad at me before and got over it.

So my friends and I are planning a 2 night backpacking/fishing trip this summer. I’m 15 and my friends are 16 and we are all in grade 10. We are thinking about doing the cataract creek loop. We are all very skilful with camping, bush craft, and hiking. We are also very responsible and know all the rules. We think it’s a good idea however…my parents won’t let me go… what do you guys think? <--poke--<

Respect your parents

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

why not pitch the idea of going to K-lakes and camping there with lots of people around and do a day hike or 2. lots of good fishing around there and a bit safer

Seems like us older kids got to do this kind of thing. But now a days with the overkill of the media, internet etc. most kids don't get any real adrenaline charged adventures on their own. You could always see if your parents are up for letting you camp with your friends for a few nights in one location on a lake where there is cell phone access.

Hey Troutlover,

Good on ya for wanting to get out! At 16 you should be able to get started with this kind of stuff but just taking off randomly into the bush might not be the way to start off.

i) You should consider starting with a short couple-nighter at somewhere like Elbow Lake. You could hike in on a friday night and do a couple day hikes from there and hike out on Sunday night. You could combine this with regular check-ins with the SPOT device.

i) You should have a SPOT Device if you're considering this. link -> http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=102

Anyone in the backcountry or fishing alone should consider carrying one. I had a dream last night that something bad happened to me while skiing and I was glad I had one in my dream!

Anyways, just a couple thoughts. Good luck!

Hey Troutlover,

Good on ya for wanting to get out! At 16 you should be able to get started with this kind of stuff but just taking off randomly into the bush might not be the way to start off.

i) You should consider starting with a short couple-nighter at somewhere like Elbow Lake. You could hike in on a friday night and do a couple day hikes from there and hike out on Sunday night. You could combine this with regular check-ins with the SPOT device.

i) You should have a SPOT Device if you're considering this. link -> http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=102

Anyone in the backcountry or fishing alone should consider carrying one. I had a dream last night that something bad happened to me while skiing and I was glad I had one in my dream!

Anyways, just a couple thoughts. Good luck!

I may have to invest in one of these.. especially if one decides to change his plans when he is the middle of no where like i was last year a couple of times by myself.. It would be nice if one could order a pizza and some cold beer with this device.

Shawn,

Why spend the $ on a Spot! Just fly (or hike) into Assinaboine - lazy people fly in pizza all the time! LoL! It's quite the gong show up there!!

P

I may have to invest in one of these.. especially if one decides to change his plans when he is the middle of no where like i was last year a couple of times by myself.. It would be nice if one could order a pizza and some cold beer with this device.

Rickr, is bang on right. Most parents wouldn't allow you to go today. When I was 14, my brother and I spent a week on the Highwood by ourselves. Used to hike here and there + I always carried a .22.

If things keep going about the same direction, in about 30 years, young 'uns will still be tied to the bed posts till they are 40 or more.

Have a look @ free range kids http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/about-2/

Lot more scary stuff in the city than in the bush and these folks seemed to get over it.

Ever think we are slaves to 'merican TV violence shows.

Don

Don't forget the beer. If you need a supplier send BBT a pm; he was known to bootleg in his younger years.

It's true. Kid, take it from me. The way the world is now, if you want to enjoy your life, go out and mess around in the bush. Letting your parents glue you to the front yard and the computer screen will ruin your life. Go get lost, fall down a scree, have to swim a couple creeks by accident. Most parents today couldn't find their way across the street without an iphone. If you want to get out in the bush, go do it. If you can't learn and make mistakes when you're 15, what the hell is life for? 12-18 were some of the best years of my life and I spent most of it wandering around the BC backcountry with a fishing rod and a backpack full of corn nuts and coke.

haha i agree with your statement completely, iv already done the swim in the creek with my crappy waders filled with water and my lifeline(my cell phone) soaking wet all i could do was take a nice long, cold, dark, 40 minuet walk home through the woods...and man i loved it :lol:

I'm 16 and I got my parents to let me do stuff like that by building trust. Take them out fishing one day or take a few local one night trips. Slowly work your way to bigger outings and after a while they won't even worry if you are half way across Alberta for a week. At least it worked for me haha. Now I just need a Toyota 4runner (dream fishin machine) and my drivers license and I'll be as free as a bird. It also helps if a family member is a good hunting or fishing buddy, me and my dad are either out hunting or fishing every chance we get and that's probobly where a lot of my trust was gained.

haha i agree with your statement completely, iv already done the swim in the creek with my crappy waders filled with water and my lifeline(my cell phone) soaking wet all i could do was take a nice long, cold, dark, 40 minuet walk home through the woods...and man i loved it :lol:

I was spending days and weeks out in the bush when I was 14. I agree with PGK. But I also grew up doing this stuff with various members of my family. If a 40 minute walk out of the bush is a long walk, you might not be ready yet....lol...good luck with the parents.