Fly Fusion Forums

Big Bow Clean-up

Glenbow

The Bow River Clean-Up was a big success today, and a lot of fun to boot. A great big thanks to Wongers & Pipestone Fly Guy for their supreme organizing & getting all the fixin's together. I know there were others involved, and thanks a ton to them too, I just don't know all who were involved. Thanks a lot to the sponsors for providing food & prizes, it really made for a lot of fun for all. We helped out the fish we love so much, the river that supports them & got to meet a ton of great folks from the board.

Another big thanks to Toolman & Speyghillie for their demo's & their big support of this event. It was great to learn a bit of valuable info from these guys that are masters of their domains.

It was a good time for a good cause & I hope we do it again next year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It was great to put some faces to the names(thank heaven for those name tags) I met alot of great peaple and got to pick toolmans brain for half an hour. Thanks to all that organized and helped out. Also kudoos to Brownee for staying all night being the only lady there with 30 dudes. My kids are still talking about you.

Can't wait till next year.

Ed

and i also after 9 years of marriage am a master of my own domain. ;)

Same from me. Great to put faces to the names. Especially nice meeting BobLoblaw and Osprey, thanks guys for helping cleaning my little section of the river, though I'm sure Troutlover is out there right now dropping leader all over the place.

Much thanks to Wongrs and Pipestonefly guy for putting this all together, as well as LK, Glenbow, Toolman, Speyghillie, and whoever else I am missing for donating their time and/or prizes. The river is a cleaner place today. Good on you guys!

As an added kicker, I won the $50 from Hanson's. BEYYAAAHHHH!!!

Just as an aside, why are there so few opportunities for guys to hang out with 30 girls? Just askin. But if I ever have the chance, I sure hope they are better looking than we are!!

Sure didn't feel like work, did it? I really enjoyed spending the afternoon picking up garbage- didn't think that was possible!

Thanks to Rick & Bob (Osprey);lots of stories & laughs as we worked, & we even saw a couple guys catch fish as we cleaned.

Nice to meet some of y'all, finally. Looks like we just got done before the rain. :) :)

Much thanks to all involved.

-Steve M_

It was with some trepidation that I went to the first annual FFC Bow River Cleanup and BBQ. I mean after all I could be fishing. But as my intrepid bank cleaning mates Bob Loblaw and Rickr pointed out above, it was a real pleasant way to spend an afternoon and evening. Company was great, prizes were good (too bad I didn't win any -next year) and the demos by Toolman and Speyghillie were informative and intriguing. 20ft of 20# mono, right Toolman? Thanks to all for a great event. I'll be there next year.

Definitely a wicked day for sure guys! Glad to meet some other people from the board as well. Hopefully those golf balls don't accumulate to quickly!!

Thanks for the job well done Wongrs and Pipestonefly, I know there is some work in putting things together and everything worked out seemlessly, Good stuff!

While I missed out on Toolman and Speyghillie, I had a pretty good after BBQ fishing session. I went off to the hullswood run and hooked into five bows and landed three, all on a (16) copper john, and the other cooler thing was, I thought one of the guys were coming by from the bushes and when I turned around there was 3 deer, 2 bucks and a doe! Pretty cool!

and again thanks everyone for the effort today, great job!

I had a great day today and enjoyed meeting folks from our flyfishing community. We could have used more hands for the clean up as there is a lot of shoreline that needs attention, but we did our best and made a difference.

The BBQ, compliments of Fish Tales Fly Shop, was delicous and gave us an opportunity to reaquaint with familiar faces around the campfire and get to know a few that were new. Many thanks go out to all who participated, with specail thanks to Rich and Rob for gettin' er done.

Our sponsors were very generous and we appreciate the great prizes. Rich will list this years sponsors.

I sure wanted to win one of those 6 Orvis packs from Country Pleasures...oh well, next year.

See you there...

Greg

ps. Osprey, 20' of #20 mono, then 5'-6' of #8 Fluro and then tie the first fly on. Fluro tippets to the next fly. Good Luck!

Again many thanks to Rich & Rob for putting all this together. It was a great day to be out on the river and meet some of the folks that have provided me with valuable information during my first year of fly fishing. Great food, great prizes=great time!

BTW I got the prefect prize, the Thompson world class tool kit. I wasn't going to start tying for another year or two but now I have the perfect start so I better get going this winter.

I wish I could have stayed to watch the demos but I had parenting duties to get to. I was still a little late helping Brownstone break into his car ......."who says you can't lock the keys in a Jetta!"

I would like to say a big thankyou to Wongrs for the organization of this event and to Pipestoneflyguy for donating all of those bags and gloves. It was nice to see someone had the forthought to bring a Bar B Que to cook everything on. I was one of the lucky many that won a prize also. Much thanks to Icky flies for donating some quality flies. Look out trout, I'm comming.

The main reason I went out was to put a face to the names of all the great guys and gals on this forum. Now I can recognize a bunch of fellow form members as I'm stumbling along the river. Good time guys, glad I went.

Murray

Now, who would have thought that picking up garbage would have been such fun. It was kinda cool to be able to talk flyfishing with people who know what your talking about or don't think you are a geek for doing so!!! Truly great to meet some of you in person. I've learned alot from this board and am glad to have the pleasure of fishing with some of you. It wasn't exactly tough to hang out with you bunch of guys, u were all perfect gentleman.......Rick I will let you know when and where the next girls club meeting is and you can come and join us..just no story telling afterwards though ;)

Thanks to all the Guys behind the scenes that made this such a great day, I won the Lesson for Two and can sure use it.

thanks to Murray and Nomad for the company well cleaning. What a beautiful day and I am so so in next year I can't wait. It was definitely nice meeting all of you and might be able to recognize you when I am poaching your run next time I see you J/K.

Thanks again all for a great day. and thanks to Speyghillie and Toolman for their informative demos.

Had a great day with TinTin, Don and LK2. Thanks go out to Rich and Pipestoneflyguy for organizing the event, and also to Icky Fly Works for the awesome box of flies. It'll definitely come in handy. Also thanks to Toolman and Speyghillie for the demos.

Can't wait till next year!

Sounds like all had a good day and did a lot of great things for the River.

Unfortunately, my Daughter's Birthday took priority over coming down to Calgary to help out. Hopefully I can make the next one.

Thanks to everyone that showed up and did their part, (and mine it sounds like). Well done.

well shoot! sucks to miss what sounded like a really good time. As the old Family or fishing survey goes i had to choose family that day i tried to convince them to pick up garbage but my kid wanted to go to calaway park so i lost the vote. Thanks to thoes who organized the event can't wait to attend next year and count me in to help organize. Who is the new organizer for next year?

p.s-Rick, I'm hurt.

Big shout out to Wongs and Pipestoneflyguy for all of their efforts. To Toolman and Gordon for the demos. And to the fly shops for their support. It was a very enjoyable day. I think Murray and Lonnie and I picked up a couple hundred golf balls - maybe someone should speak to Willow Park G & CC about errant range balls. Looking forward to next year!