Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing For Steelhead

monger

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you would call me experienced like some, but it seems for some reason nymphing seems to be frowned on especially if you use a strike indicator. Everybody skates, greased line and swings, but not nymphing- don't know why. Having said that it would probably be damn effective in the right circumstances.

Mike

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

its fround on because stuck ups think you should ONLY swing for them. It works really well, bead placed 6" above a gamu size 4= lights OUT

or bead and 6 inches to a glow bug so you technically have a 2 "fly" rig with 1 hook

I don't know if you would call me experienced like some, but it seems for some reason nymphing seems to be frowned on especially if you use a strike indicator. Everybody skates, greased line and swings, but not nymphing- don't know why. Having said that it would probably be damn effective in the right circumstances.

Mike

I'll bite...... I am what most people would call a "traditional" steelheader....Fish with a two-handed rod and do nothing but swing dries...swing greaselined.... and swing tips. 1. "Damn right effective" to "ME" is 1-2 fish a day...I can do that swinging traditional with a dry and or tips for summer, winter and spring run steel. I do not need to "slay" 5-10 steelhead every day I'm on the water...and will even get blanked more than I'd like to admit. 2. Watching someone nymph with a two-handed rod is like watching a dog #$%& a foot-ball....Well it may be "effective" at times for the angler to get off on.... it's an absolute train wreck to watch. 3. If your going to nymph do it right..Buy a drift rod..add gooy-bobs with a pencil float and knock your self out.

its fround on because stuck ups think you should ONLY swing for them. It works really well, bead placed 6" above a gamu size 4= lights OUT

or bead and 6 inches to a glow bug so you technically have a 2 "fly" rig with 1 hook

Ha!!!.... it's rig ups like this that are a joke. Just do your self a favor get a drift rod...Its much easier to cast that hardwear all day long!!!! What do you use on the gammy??? Roe..Prawn....?????? Stick to hatchery fisheries like the vedder or the Mat.

Guest Jeremie

Never heard of fishing trout beads? The fish grabs the bead, indicator goes down and as you set the hook, the hook comes into place in the corner of the jaw. There is no bait. The steelhead swinging thing is like the whole dry fly purist thing, "If they dont do it my way, they aren't real fishermen"

Throw a bead 6 inches up from your intruder...

Never heard of fishing trout beads? The fish grabs the bead, indicator goes down and as you set the hook, the hook comes into place in the corner of the jaw. There is no bait. The steelhead swinging thing is like the whole dry fly purist thing, "If they dont do it my way, they aren't real fishermen"

Throw a bead 6 inches up from your intruder...

Jeremie you have shown and sound intelligent enough to know you do not know jack about steelheading..Please keep up the good work..I'll see this as an oversight on your behalf. And no I have never......ever.....ever fished with trout beads....and never....ever will.......

I'm no expect either, but I have found swinging big flies for summer run fish very effective. You can cover a lot of water fast, without missing any sections and it's damn fun. I have heard of guys nymphing in really low clear water (spooky fish) conditions, like they sometimes have high up on the Kispiox, but you rarely see anyone nymphing. Up in BC you do see the occassional gear guy, and they always say they do well, so if definitely works!

Rightyyeegs- don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!! Just teasing... <--poke--<

Mike

I'll bite...... I am what most people would call a "traditional" steelheader....Fish with a two-handed rod and do nothing but swing dries...swing greaselined.... and swing tips. 1. "Damn right effective" to "ME" is 1-2 fish a day...I can do that swinging traditional with a dry and or tips for summer, winter and spring run steel. I do not need to "slay" 5-10 steelhead every day I'm on the water...and will even get blanked more than I'd like to admit. 2. Watching someone nymph with a two-handed rod is like watching a dog #$%& a foot-ball....Well it may be "effective" at times for the angler to get off on.... it's an absolute train wreck to watch. 3. If your going to nymph do it right..Buy a drift rod..add gooy-bobs with a pencil float and knock your self out.

So using a single handed rod (or 2 handed), with a strike indicator and with some artificial "egg simulating" fly/lure sounds like it is against the "traditional method". I am curious about the reason why. Is it because it is far too effective and you end up catching too many fish (possibly injuring too many, native fish are too valuable to be caught so many times)?. Does it make the catching too easy?

Kind of like nymphing for Cutthroats?

Is the thrill of catching one on the swing worth the hours of waiting instead of "slaying" a bunch by an easier method?

I'm not trying to start a riot...just want to know before I head out.

monger i think u nailed it for me.. growing up reading all the stories about the tug or pull seeing all the fancy flies and now for me loving spey casting with double handed rods. its all about the experience! nymphing beats streamer fishing hands down anywere thats not hard too figure out. but if i wanted too nymph i would. for me its about the cast and the hunt and finding a good fish. looking for em stacked in a bucket eating eggs, stones, drakes, caddis etc isnt why i drive out there. i have buddies who do and yes they "beat" me in the numbers department and most of the locals in the west coast gear fish with spoons n glow bugs.. the PNW USA and great lakes dudes aswell cuz its all about numbers.. same with most of my clients/non locals i see here.. they come to dry fly fish for cutts not nymph up numbers... i think were people get really pissed off is when one who does it one day is getting "showed up" or looked down because he has less fish at the end of the week... ive bin there almost every trip!! i might get one or a few in a week while my buddies who nymph steelies average those numbers daily...

Wish I could tell you why it is frowned upon, I really don't know other than guessing that's the way the fishery has evolved. As Rightyeegs said you can catch a lot more fish using other methods- it's just something about the take on a swing that is so fantastic---The Tug is the Drug.

Mike

So using a single handed rod (or 2 handed), with a strike indicator and with some artificial "egg simulating" fly/lure sounds like it is against the "traditional method". I am curious about the reason why. Is it because it is far too effective and you end up catching too many fish (possibly injuring too many, native fish are too valuable to be caught so many times)?. Does it make the catching too easy?

Kind of like nymphing for Cutthroats?

Is the thrill of catching one on the swing worth the hours of waiting instead of "slaying" a bunch by an easier method?

I'm not trying to start a riot...just want to know before I head out.

If we were all "traditional" everywhere, you'd be doing nothing but down and across with a wet fly. That's how this world of fly fishing started. And a lot of people who revere steelhead try to fish that exact way. Traditional spey flies, down and across.

The world of fly fishing has evolved though, or you'd never cast a dry, or a nymph (gasp)...

So do what floats your boat..... if it's high sticking an egg fly through a run do it. If it's skating a dry for 'em do it. Just have fun ...

Brian pretty much summed it up in my mind.

Fish for them the way that you want as long as its legal.

Fishing is about having fun, not pleasing others.

I was yelled at by an old guy one day on a cutty stream because I had a nymph dropper under foam fly. I laughed at him and told him to have a nice day and kept hiking.

My morning thoughts on this...... Steelheading is not a numbers game and NEVER should be...It is NOT suppose to be easy and that is what makes it unique. When I'm on the water its usually at least a 12 hour shift....For that 12 hours I'm casting for roughly 8 hours... I don't want to cast a bobber, split shot and other gawdly device's that have been metioned here for 8 hours with a two-handed rod and or single hander. If I wanted to fish that way I'd get a drift rod center pin reel and do it right and save my arm and shoulder. My thoughts on the swing..waking a dry and seeing that big head pop out right behind your waker and seeing it disappear could be better than sex...Maybe....

My morning thoughts on this...... Steelheading is not a numbers game and NEVER should be...

That could be argued (From General Money's game book, of the Stamp, all of which were whacked

In a note written in his game book on October 14, 1922, the General commented on the fishing he experienced in this uncrowded land: "A grand season 77 fish, averaging just under 7 pounds

Rightyeegs, I tend to agree with you, just providing food for thought.

If you have never fished for steel, you may think of fishing eggs as an acceptable method, I peg beads pretty much the same deal.. BUT not for steelhead, that's my choice. If someone fishes steels with beads they probably won't do it for long.....

Didn't read all your guys' junk, but, if you're a hard up for numbers douchebag, by all means, float beads or nymphs. But do it with a centrepin. Cause doing it with a flyrod is pathetic and stupid. If you wanna float fish, use a float rod.

If you want to have a real steelheading experience, swing flies.

Douchebag??? Junk??? Pathetic?? Stupid?? Nice read........ ;mornCoffee:

Didn't read all your guys' junk, but, if you're a hard up for numbers douchebag, by all means, float beads or nymphs. But do it with a centrepin. Cause doing it with a flyrod is pathetic and stupid. If you wanna float fish, use a float rod.

If you want to have a real steelheading experience, swing flies.

He has a point... If you wanna nymph steelhead effectively, then use a centerpin.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

bahahaha, i find this incredibly funny to read...Edit name calling steelhead "purists". WHAT, you dont use purple and pink!! its the ONLY thing they hit....no one going to post the 2 bears cartoon

when it comes down to it dont let other people tell you how to #$@* your wife and cook your beef!

p.s nothing on the gamu but the red paint, Edit name calling,