Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing For Steelhead

monger

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pictures have been removed and this is my last post on this forum. Forever will I lurk, dreaming of my next steelie trip

...... And yet you continue to post

I guess my last question on this thread is,

.... But yet again you post

Just on my way out the door headed for Smithers..........As rickr said "this may be the best thread ever".......Dutchie made a nice post and there were others and to use a Dutchie phrase, "it's now turned into a *hit storm"......Oh well........I hope I will hook my first steelhead and I hope my actions will live up to the standards of most----assholes and otherwise.......Ciao for now........

Guest Jeremie

I think im just going to indicator fish eggs next year, just to piss some people off. Y'all can eat it.

I'm sort of kidding... but great thread so far, dutchie has a lot of knowledge and has definitely giving me some things to think about.

With a little ingenuity, we should be able to stretch this out for 10 pages without being locked. I just looked at the Smithers Wx forecast, hopefully it's cold enough that the rivers don't blow out on the ol' geezers. :P

Mike

Ya know, I have been watching this thread the past few days. Here's what I've gleaned;

1) Dutchie's posts make me want to go steelhead fishing. Simple as that. And, with my school board's new proposed calendar for next year has a week off in November (relax, us teachers don't get off easily, kids would then come back one week earlier in the summer), looks like my dream steelheading trip may be do-able. Is the 2nd week of November a good time to go? :)

2) Rickr's comments about it being a fish of 1000 a-holes certainly seems to ring true. Won't point fingers, not necessary, we all know our regulars, but clearly "jackasses" are "jackasses", and "idiots" are "idiots". A little surpised the mods allowed the thread to continue on past some previous posts, maybe they've made a choice to relax the rules. If so, fine, but what gets lost in the name-calling is this: people probably have some good points, but the tone ruins it. We all know that to be true, obviously.

Having said that, I have no doubt certain methods of angling for steelhead undoubtedly prove more fun, satisfying, fulfilling,...whatever. We all "evolve" - is that the word the steehead addicts would have me use? - to preferred methods for a variety of reasons, none of which have to more sophisticated than "I like doing it that way, because it pleases me to do so".

But to assume you can judge who is or isn't a "douchebag" depending on whether they nymph versus swing, whether they use one handed rods versus two handed rods, whether they use centerpin or not, is ludicris. Full stop. End of story. Doesn't matter whether you're a newbie or have been fishing steel for 40+ yrs. Or, as my grade 8's would say "takes one to know one". Perhaps that's insulting to my grade 8's. Lord knows the more than a few of them have more maturity or tact than a few posters here.

Sure, "encourage" people to try a method like the swing, which may deliberately decrease your numbers, but exponentially increase your fun/addiction. Sounds like a plan.

But the "holier-than-thou" attitude that goes with that "encouragement"?

Get. A. Frickin. Life.

On the other hand, ah well, c'est la vie. Its the mods board, after all. The FFC belongs to all of us...sort of. So its just another upcoming season of shack nasties and the occassional (or rare, if you live in Edmonton like me) foray of winter fishing. One thing's for sure, I've put on some fat for the winter -its going to be a cold one - so I know my skin is sure thickening up. :)

Smitty

P.P.S. So, like Jeremie suggested, I think I'll plan next year's trip, first ever. First thing I'm gonna buy is a jet boat. Then some beads. And some roe bags. And some gas-propelled spear guns. <--poke--<

P.P.S. I am making a plan to personally ban all dry-fly fishing for cutthroat for the 2012 season. In fact, I'm going to swing 3 wet-flies, and for that 2 week period in August, where legal, I'll bait my royal coachmans with a maggot. I'll be your huckleberry... :)