Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing For Steelhead

monger

nymphing for steelhead has been going on for lots of years , and not talking about just nymphing with a egg , small nymphs and even stone nymphs , i can't remember who it was that told me the biggest steelhead he ever got was using a big black stone while nymphing for them ,

maybe not so much on the west coast , but in ont and the eastern states it has been going on for many years , fishing with center pin reels for steelhead even longer , i have a old friend who's from BC and all he ever used to use was a hardy silex centerpin reel and roe for them , a guy with a center pin reel and knows what he is doing , can really fling it a long way out into the river

i think allot guys who steelhead fish with spey rods like to keep it more traditional , i see nothing wrong with someone using a switch or spey rod for nymphing , works good on the bow river for trout and it's way easier on the body throwing them big nymph rigs all day long , and if your going be chucking streamers , well it's for sure allot easier and talk about making nice presentations while searching for big browns with big streamers , down deep and across slow slow

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my last question on this thread is, what is it about steelhead... or fishing for them in general, that turns good people into assholes?? I've witnessed it... happen to someone I know very well.... so I guess it's understandable... but I just don't get it.

Fish are fish!!!!! Damn.... If it's ok to toss whatever you want at the fish in Alberta, Manitoba, or Montana, then go right the hell ahead in BC too (so long as your method is legal) and enjoy it! Don't let some snob tell you how you should be fishing. Be flexible and adapt, and have fun, and respect other users out there...

For the rest of you people who think that just because I am defending the position of fishing the way you want because I fish that way (you guys must think I stalk the banks of the bulkley with a spey rod and indicator) ... pfft give your head a shake as well. I prefer trying dries for 'em.... and love 'em on the swing. Out of over 20 days fishing for steel I've tossed an egg pattern for roughly 8 hours. whoopty do. I bet 99% of steelheaders have done the same thing at the early stages of their careers too.

As I said before, a lot of fishermenI have tremendous respect for completely revere steelhead. Even though I haven't fished for them myself, I'd be more than a bit blind not to see there is something special about them. But in reading any discussion about fishing for them, I have to say that it does seem more like the fish of 1000 Edit, as opposed to the fish of 1000 casts.

As I said before, a lot of fishermenI have tremendous respect for completely revere steelhead. Even though I haven't fished for them myself, I'd be more than a bit blind not to see there is something special about them. But in reading any discussion about fishing for them, I have to say that it does seem more like the fish of 1000 assholes as opposed to the fish of 1000 casts.

:thumbup:

I also have never fished them but after reading would tend to agree!

I guess my last question on this thread is, what is it about steelhead... or fishing for them in general, that turns good people into assholes?? I've witnessed it... happen to someone I know very well.... so I guess it's understandable... but I just don't get it.

Your right Brian you don't get it.... A fish is "not" a fish.... To compare a stocked pellete fed rainbow to a wild anadromous steelhead is ridiculous. People don't turn into assholes they get the passion. They get a sense of stewardship for these fish. God be with the guy who decides he wants to beach a wild steelhead on the rocks and than watch it flop around while he searches for his camera with an "***hole" around. He will be lucky to walk away with a verbal lashing. They also get a sense of respect for the fish.... and the numbers that they catch. There are days/years such as last year where it was like "trout" fishing for steelhead. If you wanted to run crazy ridiculous numbers of fish on certain drainages you could. You think most "assholes" rung up 10-15-20 fish days??? I doubt it... Like I said waaaaaay back near the begining of this topic some people get it and some people don't...

As I said before, a lot of fishermenI have tremendous respect for completely revere steelhead. Even though I haven't fished for them myself, I'd be more than a bit blind not to see there is something special about them. But in reading any discussion about fishing for them, I have to say that it does seem more like the fish of 1000 assholes as opposed to the fish of 1000 casts.

:thumbup:

I also have never fished them but after reading would tend to agree!

Hopefully if you guys ever fish for them and get the "bug"... You turn into the "Edit , ".

I love being an ***hole. Represent, yo. Word up homie.

It's very tempting to say, "You are what you eat..." <--poke--<

But, that really feels like it's crossing the line of good taste (pun intended).

Seriously, though...

Dude, I've read a lot of your posts over the years. You seem like you really care about our fisheries.

However, you seem to be missing the gene for tact/diplomacy. Go back & read Dutchie's posts in this topic.

If you really care & want folks to see things your way, try adopting Dutchie's approach; works WAAAAY better.

The upside is that you could actually get people to understand you point of view on whatever subject you're weighing in on. The downside is that you'd be ruining the enjoyment a lot of us get from telling you what a Edit name calling you are; but, don't worry about that- Internet dumbasses are a dime a dozen & another will quickly jump up to fill in your spot.

Sincerely,

Steve

Your right Brian you don't get it.... A fish is "not" a fish.... To compare a stocked pellete fed rainbow to a wild anadromous steelhead is ridiculous. People don't turn into assholes they get the passion. They get a sense of stewardship for these fish. God be with the guy who decides he wants to beach a wild steelhead on the rocks and than watch it flop around while he searches for his camera with an "***hole" around. He will be lucky to walk away with a verbal lashing. They also get a sense of respect for the fish.... and the numbers that they catch. There are days/years such as last year where it was like "trout" fishing for steelhead. If you wanted to run crazy ridiculous numbers of fish on certain drainages you could. You think most "assholes" rung up 10-15-20 fish days??? I doubt it... Like I said waaaaaay back near the begining of this topic some people get it and some people don't...

Hopefully if you guys ever fish for them and get the "bug"... You turn into the "assholes".

It would be impossible for me to TURN into an Edit :)

25 yrs fishing Skeena watershed and I've really only met one absolute ***hole, unfortunately you have to cross his property to access one of the best runs on the Bulkley.

Mike

And once a year you hear a story of someone punching him out and/or skipping him across the Bulkley.

Who said anybody trespassed? How about paying for a week of access and then being denied access with no refund? How about a complaint filed with RCMP? How about walking down the creek from Hwy til below the High water mark? How about Jackass walking up behind people and throwing rocks in the water? And last but not least Who's the ***hole now? :ninja:

Mike

This is funny *hit. So now it's Ok to trespass to get to a great run? so who's the Edit ? :ph34r:

Who said anybody trespassed? How about paying for a week of access and then being denied access with no refund? How about a complaint filed with RCMP? How about walking down the creek from Hwy til below the High water mark? How about Jackass walking up behind people and throwing rocks in the water? And last but not least Who's the ***hole now? :ninja:

Mike

BBT? As for buddy, i'd be tying rocks to his body and tossing him in.

Nah, its a mixed bag there ( or was )- spinfishers, centerpin, single handed and spey. As long as nobody is beaching a fish, its a pretty easy going crowd unless you're an American then all bets are off- just kidding Rick.

Mike