Fly Fusion Forums

Hook Sharpening

Hey all,

Had my first trip of the year last week on the Bow and had a few on briefly, but lost them all pretty quick. Didn't think too much of it until we were in the parking lot packing up.. checked my hooks and they were dull as can be! A few books that I've read mention that this is probably one of the most overlooked aspects of fly fishing.. and it sure makes the different with your hookups/landed fish ratio.

I have two questions:

I have the sharpener in the attached picture, and I've always had a difficult time sharpening my hooks.. especially on the small flies. As you can see, the grooves are lengthwise along the stone, and so you basically have to stick the sharpener inside the gape of the hook. Kind of tricky. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this easier? Maybe I need a different style sharpener?

Secondly.. how often do you guys/gals sharpen your hooks? Do you tend to "forget" too? I know I've heard Jim McLennan say that you should sharpen your hook after every fish that gets off, or everytime you get snagged on bottom. Just curious how many people actually do this?

post-30-1302299642.jpg

Most definately for the large hooks I do as Jim M. say and sharpen them with a sharpener that is similar to yours. For the small hooks, I tie my own flies so I just tie on a different hook and I'm back in business.

Hey all,

Had my first trip of the year last week on the Bow and had a few on briefly, but lost them all pretty quick. Didn't think too much of it until we were in the parking lot packing up.. checked my hooks and they were dull as can be! A few books that I've read mention that this is probably one of the most overlooked aspects of fly fishing.. and it sure makes the different with your hookups/landed fish ratio.

I have two questions:

I have the sharpener in the attached picture, and I've always had a difficult time sharpening my hooks.. especially on the small flies. As you can see, the grooves are lengthwise along the stone, and so you basically have to stick the sharpener inside the gape of the hook. Kind of tricky. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this easier? Maybe I need a different style sharpener?

Secondly.. how often do you guys/gals sharpen your hooks? Do you tend to "forget" too? I know I've heard Jim McLennan say that you should sharpen your hook after every fish that gets off, or everytime you get snagged on bottom. Just curious how many people actually do this?

I do the "nail test" for checking my hooks every time I tie them on. So, I too file my hooks often.

For smaller hooks, I use those pencil like round/flat/grooved file. It's is easier with them, but still cumbersome.

I try to sharpen my hooks often, but I am not as diligent as I should be, especially with small hooks. I haven't found the best tool option yet.

I like to sharpen on the side of the stone. I think the sharpeners Birchy posted are really for bigger hooks, and not very useful for most flies. This winter I picked up some small diamond hones. I might fix one to my chest pack, and see how that works. It still bigger than I need (maybe 1"x2") but I can use just the edge and corners for small hooks.

Yea i have never sharpened my hooks and they seem to do just fine but i

should probably look into getting them sharpened soon. I have actually never thought of sharpening

my hooks for some reason.

Yea i have never sharpened my hooks and they seem to do just fine but i

should probably look into getting them sharpened soon. I have actually never thought of sharpening

my hooks for some reason.

Um....yeah.....me too.

Might explain a lot.....

:mellow:

I sharpen mine with the narrow pencil type with the groove on one side. I should do it more often. I have been told there is actually a proper way to use those sharpeners. I guess I lost the instructions but am sure the internet or you fishers have the method. I here running the hook one way over the other is more effective, but do not recall which way. I do know you should not run it up and down the shaft, just in one direction.

No one has really mentioned the type of fishing you do in regard to sharpening. When nymphing for example, where the fly is hitting rocks I tend to check every 4 to 5 casts, If I hook bottom, for sure a solid sharpening after that, or usually a change to a sharp fly. Fishing streamers will also dull a hook nicking bottom or wood. Fishing dries is a different matter, I don't check them as often as they are either in the air or on the water film. If my fly attracts a bush or grass, I usually do a check.

Met a young fellow on the water who was complaining lots of short hits with no hookups. Checked out his nymphs and they where the dullest I've ever seen, but wouldn't take a bit of advice to touch them up. Funny how people will spend thousands on equipment and not address the one bit that actually does the most good, the point of the hook. I believe dull hooks will harm a trout, instead of a solid quick penetration, you can end up ripping before a hook penetrates if at all. Ive seen these ripping gashes on trout and I have too much respect for our fish to do that.

I like my hooks sticky sharp, a great many flies you buy or hooks for tying are sharp but not to my liking. A couple of swipes is enough. At the end of the season during the winter is a great time to go through all your flies and touch them up for the season as a start.

You can use stones and files, I use a small Diamond Flat File. Move the file towards the point across the bottom and two sides to form a triangle toward the point. You're looking for just a sharp point not to file down the integrity of the point, if you get the sharpened area too long it may fold or curl. The time to practice this is at home not on the water.

Lots of good sharpeners out they but they are useless in your pocket.

Where'd you buy that one?!

P

I use the pen style (Eze Lap) sharpener to. Its a real handy design. The Mustad sharpener is big and klunky, making it difficult to sharpen small hooks.

Sticky sharp hooks equal better hook ups!

Where'd you buy that one?!

P

Some of the fly and tackle shops here in BC carry them. Can't remember specifically which ones. Pretty sure I picked one up at Michael & Young in Vancouver/Surrey one time. Check the EZE-Lap web site for suppliers in your area.

Cool, thanks!

P

Some of the fly and tackle shops here in BC carry them. Can't remember specifically which ones. Pretty sure I picked one up at Michael & Young in Vancouver/Surrey one time. Check the EZE-Lap web site for suppliers in your area.