Fly Fusion Forums

Is Fishing A Sport?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also pondered this...

Definitely no!! It's a "recreational activity"! Then of course you have all the derbies & tournaments and then I think it would cross over into a sport (unfortunately)!!

P

Me and my friends argue about this topic a lot, Is fishing a sport or is it just a hobby?

Im just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this topic are.

Thats a tough/good question. Its definitely a competition at the tourney level but I wouldnt consider it a sport like hockey, golf, football etc. Its more an outdoor activity under what I would call the OUTDOORSMAN catergory. If it were imparative to choose yes or no on the subject i would choose no to it being a sport! One thing Im sure of is that this question is sure to generate some heat!

Hey if bowling is a sport then fishing is also,besides we can all call our selfs athletes then.

A quote from Brian Chan.

"One will never know all there is about fly fishing and that is what makes this sport so fascinating. The real satisfaction comes from knowing that you understand how and why the fish were tearing your fly up in that particular day."

Guest Sundancefisher
hahaha you could say fly fishing is an addiction

Is it a sport if you are hiking and physically exerting yourself versus trolling with a guide? Can I then tell the wife I am exercising and therefore if she says I need to exercise more I can grab the rod and run off?

Is fly fishing a sport?

In a word YES...why?

Consider…

-There is physical exertion to the point of exhaustion

-There is a constant struggle to win

-There is athletic and acrobatic motion and movements

-The biggest and the best champions are often put on a pedestal

-There are uniforms and/ or team colors

-There is struggle against opposing foes

-There is constant competition

-There is risk of injury even loss of life

-It occurs globally

-It has a large following

So I put forth that YES Fly Fishing is not only a sport but an EXTREME SPORT

…………………………. for the fish.

Well said.....to me its also definately deeper than just a sport.

What does that mean - "deeper than just a sport"?

Ask some rabid soccer / football / hockey fans about passion or depth. Ask a professional athlete - or better, an Olympic athlete, training for an event that really has no professional paid league - how "deep" their commitment is.

Having said that comment, I can see from yours or my point of view about depth. But its entirely subjective, naturally.

Smitty

P.S. To answer the question, I'd say it is not a sport. Badcaster's points can be refuted easily. Or, stated differently, as Flyfisher says, its a "bloodsport".

Is fly fishing a sport?

In a word YES...why?

Consider…

-There is physical exertion to the point of exhaustion

-There is a constant struggle to win

-There is athletic and acrobatic motion and movements

-The biggest and the best champions are often put on a pedestal

-There are uniforms and/ or team colors

-There is struggle against opposing foes

-There is constant competition

-There is risk of injury even loss of life

-It occurs globally

-It has a large following

So I put forth that YES Fly Fishing is not only a sport but an EXTREME SPORT

…………………………. for the fish.

well stated. EXTREME SPORT!!

Well there is that old term for fishermen and hunters.....

Sportsmen.

Indeed, however, the correlation between 'Sport Fisherman/woman(and I'm using the term loosely), and Hunters is somewhat ambiguous, especially when considering the outcome. Sport Fisherman being those who fish for 'sport', rather than sustenance ie. Catch and Release 'Sport' Fisherman. This is not to say that hunters don't also shoot for 'sport', in fact, many Hunters would refer to the act of hunting as 'sport'. The end result, however, for the living entity involved in each of these sports is entirely different; death vs. life (or the hope thereof).

Good topic and something to ponder, thoughts?

Indeed, however, the correlation between 'Sport Fisherman/woman(and I'm using the term loosely), and Hunters is somewhat ambiguous, especially when considering the outcome. Sport Fisherman being those who fish for 'sport', rather than sustenance ie. Catch and Release 'Sport' Fisherman. This is not to say that hunters don't also shoot for 'sport', in fact, many Hunters would refer to the act of hunting as 'sport'. The end result, however, for the living entity involved in each of these sports is entirely different; death vs. life (or the hope thereof).Good topic and something to ponder, thoughts?

Comparing hunting to C&R fishing is not a fair comparison. Hunting and the final act of killing is pure, C&R fishing is an abomination of a primal act.

And no, fishing is not a sport. Unless you are talking that bassmaster *hit.