Fly Fusion Forums

Is Fishing A Sport?

Indeed, however, the correlation between 'Sport Fisherman/woman(and I'm using the term loosely), and Hunters is somewhat ambiguous, especially when considering the outcome. Sport Fisherman being those who fish for 'sport', rather than sustenance ie. Catch and Release 'Sport' Fisherman. This is not to say that hunters don't also shoot for 'sport', in fact, many Hunters would refer to the act of hunting as 'sport'. The end result, however, for the living entity involved in each of these sports is entirely different; death vs. life (or the hope thereof).

Good topic and something to ponder, thoughts?

there is no such thing as sport hunting, the only way to sport hunt is with traquilizer darts, this way you can take a picture, and revive the critter. and send him/her on its way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no such thing as sport hunting, the only way to sport hunt is with traquilizer darts, this way you can take a picture, and revive the critter. and send him/her on its way.

Indeed, and as ridiculous as that sounds, why is ok to do that to a fish, but not a deer?

Indeed, and as ridiculous as that sounds, why is ok to do that to a fish, but not a deer?

again, it comes down to what is socially acceptable in certain circles. Like this site. I am going ice fishing at Travers res. this weekend, and I hope to bonk a big pike for supper.

Biologists practice this "sport". You just missed mention of the tracking collar so they can catch, poke, and prick the same one next year.

Comparing hunting to C&R fishing is not a fair comparison. Hunting and the final act of killing is pure, C&R fishing is an abomination of a primal act.

So a canned hunt at a game farm for a fenced-in prey is pure?? Don't think so.

Regards Mike

Where did I make mention of the hunting in a game farm for fenced in prey?

Mighty big leap you take here.

Seems what you consider hunting I do not..

Exactly, but where does a person draw the line. Canned hunts, baiting and killing for pleasure to me is not hunting and certainly not pure but for others ---???

Regards Mike

Exactly, but where does a person draw the line. Canned hunts, baiting and killing for pleasure to me is not hunting and certainly not pure but for others ---???

Regards Mike

Same goes with fishing. Some use bait, bonk the first couple then go home and cook them. Others C&R "hundreds" a day and have the enlightened feeling that they walk a higher moral ground because they did it all with a dry fly on a cutty stream. Confusing, isn't it?

Not really part of the discussion, but still perplexing nonetheless.

I've never thought of that. In fact, if practiced correctly, I bet that the mortality rate of "shoot and release" hunting would be even less than for catch and release fishing. Shoot your game, take a hero shot, animal recovers and walks on. PETA folk would cry "animal cruelty", but better than animal mortality. (I should interject here that I have nothing against hunting as long as you are eating what you shoot).

Now if someone could only get darts to go the same distance at the same velocity as a bullet, we'd be onto something. Would be very interesting if they could. Think of what it was like 30 or whatever yrs ago when catch and release fishing first started taking off. Many people claimed that fishing would have no point. Most of us learned, however, that the keeping of the fish had nothing to do with our enjoyment, much to our amazement. I would suppose that the same would hold true for hunting. Though I don't imagine many hunters currently share that sentiment.

Catch and release makes the fisherman feel like he is doing something good. its not good for the fish. But that is the way it is and I'm not about to spoil a good thing!

Agreed. Catch and release allows us to catch more fish per fish killed. We delude ourselves into thinking that we are doing it for the fish. We are doing it for us.

But I think of it this way. Lets say my mortality rate is 2% (and I have no idea what it truly is, just using an example). So for 100 fish I catch, 2 die. Let's say on the Bow I average 5 fish per trip. It would take me 20 trips to kill two fish. But if we still all kept our limits, in 20 trips I would have killed 20 fish, assuming I stopped as soon as I kept my one. More if I kept fishing and did catch and release afterwards. So there are benefits to the fish as well, or at least to fish populations. Which of course is better for the fisherman as well.

Agreed. Catch and release allows us to catch more fish per fish killed. We delude ourselves into thinking that we are doing it for the fish. We are doing it for us.

But I think of it this way. Lets say my mortality rate is 2% (and I have no idea what it truly is, just using an example). So for 100 fish I catch, 2 die. Let's say on the Bow I average 5 fish per trip. It would take me 20 trips to kill two fish. But if we still all kept our limits, in 20 trips I would have killed 20 fish, assuming I stopped as soon as I kept my one. More if I kept fishing and did catch and release afterwards. So there are benefits to the fish as well, or at least to fish populations. Which of course is better for the fisherman as well.

couldn't have said it better

Now if someone could only get darts to go the same distance at the same velocity as a bullet, we'd be onto something. Would be very interesting if they could.

Rick,

velocity is not really needed, 400-500 feet per second is adequate, distance is a different story. There are people out there already doing this but it is pretty much on the down low. The range of the weapons is about 100m at the far end but if you are good you never need to shoot outside of 50m. It is good sport.

Guest galsfishtoo
Is fly fishing a sport?

In a word YES...why?

Consider…

-There is physical exertion to the point of exhaustion

-There is a constant struggle to win

-There is athletic and acrobatic motion and movements

-The biggest and the best champions are often put on a pedestal

-There are uniforms and/ or team colors

-There is struggle against opposing foes

-There is constant competition

-There is risk of injury even loss of life

-It occurs globally

-It has a large following

So I put forth that YES Fly Fishing is not only a sport but an EXTREME SPORT

…………………………. for the fish.

Well said Badcaster. I have thought about this many times and "Yes" I consider fishing a sport :fishfish: and definitely deeper than just a sport.

sport (noun) Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)

1. competitive physical activity

an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally

2. pastime

an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

Well said Badcaster. I have thought about this many times and "Yes" I consider fishing a sport :fishfish: and definitely deeper than just a sport.

sport (noun) Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)

1. competitive physical activity

an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally

2. pastime

an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

Do you consider fishing competitive?