Fly Fusion Forums

Tungsten

Well another year gone by,no records broken for me.Dry fly was good starting in April and continued into Nov.For the first time i was on the Bow when a good flying ant hatch happened.Of course i didn't have a good match but it was cool to see.

How about you?

Well another year gone by,no records broken for me.Dry fly was good starting in April and continued into Nov.For the first time i was on the Bow when a good flying ant hatch happened.Of course i didn't have a good match but it was cool to see.

How about you?

It was a good year on the whole, especially dry fly. Had some fantastic caddis days. On the other hand I've seen better hopper seasons. Came up with a couple of new patterns I'm happy with. Got my kids to do a number of floats/camping trips which were a lot of fun. Bought several new rods, a couple of new reels and a ton of tying stuff. Yup definitely a good year....

for only my second full season fly fishing i found it to be quite productive for me! many days out on the water with many fish.

The only thing i couldn't manage to do was to catch a fish on the dry on the bow. I know it might sound weird because i've heard from numerous sources it was fantastic. Not so much for me. So new goal for 2011, trout on dry fly.

I hope next year brings us all another great year of fishing on the world class river we have in our own back yard

Everette

Nymphs nymphs and more nymphs. My first year on the flyrod was one to remember. What a frusterating river the bow is untill......well im not sure something just clicks and away you go. Started fishing in early March, dont think i caught one untill the beggining of April. What a thrill though when you finally land your first. Rough estimate i would say i made it to the river at least over 100 days, easily. Being unemployed has its bennifits. Makes for one helluva farmers tan and sunglass tan. Here are a few pics

Bow, sept-oct sometime

Picture084.jpg

Only fish that died on me this year (to my knowledge), had a rough release. Tangled line, broken hook. Made a nice meal tho, NOT from the bow :P

Picture033.jpg

AND my highlight of the year, caught late april. 28 inch. Couldnt wipe the smile from my face that day. :D:clapping:

Picture041.jpg

Great year for me! Still not done yet, 3 nice rainbows today :D Good luck next year everyone.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

it was an amazing year for myself. Had some crazy fights on 2wt's with some 20"+ browns with Jayhad in the evenings. Some sensational ant eveings. I found a few back country lakes in the BNP that hold some virgin hogs.

Cant wait for next summer but untill then its iced up guides and bundled up feet.

Had a fantasic dry fly season, fished with many people and had great experinces with everyone I went out with. Meet some new people and fished with some old buddies.

Due to work I didn't get out as much as I have previous years but all was good.

A bit of a subpar year for me. Didn't get out as much as I wanted, and when I had the time the rivers ended up high and cold. 44 F on the Castle in August. Had a good morning on the Bow in May with a nice March Brown hatch, a decent morning where I managed a few big browns on stones, and a good day on the Crow with some friends and tons of little fish. Just nothing stellar that really stands out.

Guest Jeremie

i had some awesome lake fishing in may, caught 2 personal bests, 24 1/2" rainbow and a 26" rainbow both weighing definitely over 6 pounds. Then ended up catching a wack of big cutties. None were on the dry though, most on the streamer. I caught my fair share of 16-20" rainbow out of the bow, got my personal best brown 22" and lost some freaking hogs. Caught my biggest pike, finally found a backcountry lake we were looking for. I thought it was a stellar year, but next year im definitely focusing on more dry flies.

My year had 2 themes - year of the Bow and break-offs. I got out enough to stay sane and was only skunked a couple of times, but I didn't get onto any other waters than the Bow. I don't think I landed anything over 20". I hooked a few that were likely large but they broke off. Didn't get much dry fly action - couldn't make it out when the river was on for dries.

Did buy some new gear in the fall - Amundsen 10' #6 rod and large arbour reel. This is the first new stick in at least 10 years - I'm more of a technique junkie. It's good for a bit more distance and great for mending line.

Highlight of the year for me was discovering a high apine lake this year in BNP that is not named or on a map, I was sitting at the top of a pass i've sat on probably 4 dozen times looking down the valley, in the valley there lies a few small ponds i've never paid much attention to and before my very eyes the surface of one of the ponds starts to errupt with hundreds of swirls my jaw dropped, the jerkey i was chewing fell out of my mouth and i *hit my pants. Unfortunatly i had 13 boy scouts with me who had no interest in bushwaking too this lake after we had just finished a weekend of a 50km death march (im kind of a basterd but it's good for them). But i did make the trip up the next weekend with some good buddies and well it was four days of fishing i will never forget.(and yes i took my buddies on the death march too and my boy scouts out hiked them) :D

had a really good year in the spring. caught a couple of browns early over 24 inches, and lots of acrobatic rainbows.spent the rest of summer chasing cutties. but the biggest brown was caught this past tuesday. he measured just over 26 and was a slab, probably close to six pounds. fun getting him over the ice shelf, let me tell you. but an amazing fish with awesome colors, and the best part is he only had one eye. caught five fish in about an hour, awesome.love this river.

Pretty good year overall. Some really fun cuttie fishing this year in some remote locations, with bigger, pickier fish. Got my first Pike on the Bow in the spring. Some unreal dry fly fishing, particularly early season caddis fishing for big browns and a memorable day down south for big, super picky late season rainbows. I didn't spend nearly as much time on the Bow this year, but I did get my biggest brown to date, just over 27", in dirty water.

Hell, looking back I guess it was a great year overall!

Highlight of the year for me was discovering a high apine lake this year in BNP that is not named or on a map, I was sitting at the top of a pass i've sat on probably 4 dozen times looking down the valley, in the valley there lies a few small ponds i've never paid much attention to and before my very eyes the surface of one of the ponds starts to errupt with hundreds of swirls my jaw dropped, the jerkey i was chewing fell out of my mouth and i *hit my pants. Unfortunatly i had 13 boy scouts with me who had no interest in bushwaking too this lake after we had just finished a weekend of a 50km death march (im kind of a basterd but it's good for them). But i did make the trip up the next weekend with some good buddies and well it was four days of fishing i will never forget.(and yes i took my buddies on the death march too and my boy scouts out hiked them) :D

say troutlover, what did your buddies eat? Steak, bacon and eggs, or those so tasty MRE's?

Good year all round. Hours on the water were up slightly, numbers of fish down, 9 new waters fished, finally got outfished by one of my kids one day. Highlight was probably 2 days in July where I got 8 fish in two trips, with every fish over 20".

My 2010 started off great with 4 mths on the Bow............plus a day on the Crow (something I've been wait 4 years to do)..............learned alot on much bigger water than I'm use too. Pretty much fizzled once I got back home, only 15 hours on the water for the rest of the year.........without a dance with a salmon.

Less than 30 days before it all starts again...........can't wait.

My 2010 was much better than my 2009. More on the dry on the Bow, some of my biggest fish were in 2010.

I can't wait to get out there to start off 2011!

Here's hoping to a more consistent year, with a good run off to kick off the season, not four or five different run offs.....lol

College took up most of my time in april to jan, and again in sept to december. I did not get out fishing very much during those times. My summer, however, was great. Spent a lot of time on waters near home here and quite honesty have no real need to travel much more than a half hour anymore for great fishing :)

Had fun on the Bow and Crow too. Had a great day with an old buddy in the middle of summer. Had some phenomenal days guiding. It was a great summer. :)