Fly Fusion Forums

Chest Pack Vrs Fanny Pack

kim

I've always been partial to the chest packs.

First one I had was the William Joseph Equinox. Great pack and very versatile. Still have it and likely going to either sell it or hang onto it if I ever get fishing with a buddy who needs something to use.

My new pack is the Exodus. Absolutely love it! The chest pack comes off interdependently of the back pack and it holds a ton of stuff. I have been extremely happy with both of my William Joseph products.

http://www.williamjoseph.net/

Got the Equinox 3 years ago. Other than long hikes, it hangs in the garage. I found the front pockets too bulky. Also turned out when I loaded the front part (I'm a gear guy, so overloaded would be more like it) it gets really heavy.

I had buckles sewn onto the wader straps a s I found when I used the front alone, the thin straps dug into my neck. That worked well.

When I started with the spey, the bulky pockets were annoying.

Moved on to belly packs, but they never really worked for me.

Got the patagonia vest about two months ago, and absolutely love it. Now the circle is complete.

Gotta try a bunch to find what works for you.

I have the fishpond waterdance one, same as maxwell I think, and it is great. It has the should strap on it that I use if I have a bulky coat on and use it like a satchel (lol hangover!) and in the summer I clip it around the waist. It never gets in the way because it stays in the back both ways. The fly holder at the front kinda squishes the flies sometimes but I mostly keep hooks for tube flies in there and the odd streamer.

I have started using the William Joseph Current chest pack, and now really like it! (The Video is a good review of it)

I went through vest, lanyard, satchel, back to vest, to just pockets, back to vest, to a really small chest pack, and now to the Mag series Current. (With a Simms Daypack sometimes)

There is a chestpack review on Sexyloops that has some of the good and bad about WJ chest packs.

I'm normally slow, and I like just being able to have the chest pack to throw on, or over a shoulder. Plus no zippers or snaps!

And... Wholesale had it cheaper last year than any online sources I found!!!

• 8 months later...

not to sound like a skipping record, but I have the william joseph confluence. have been using is for almost exactly a year and its been the best peice of gear I've ever used. the large back part has enough space to hold my rain jacket, bottle of water and bug spray plus a lunch. the front has a handy dandy tippet dispenser and lots of space for essentials plus two rectractors for hemostats, nippers, whatever. the one drawback is when I am out with my spinning rod, it sometimes gets in the way, but for fly fishing, its a dream!

I don't have a William joseph, but it sounds like I am missing out. I have a orvis safe passage anglers pack with attachable chest back. I can also clip it around my waist. I really like it but I brleive it costs more then most other packs.

I have some minor back problems and I have found that a chest pack puts weight on the front causeing me the hunch over which by the end of the day very sore in the back and shoulders. Likewise a backpack does the samething.

Like max said I have been using the fishpound hip pack for the las two years and find that it sits perfect on my lower back I do not feel like I am front or back heavy.

Also how many boxes and things do you really need to bring out with you, I found that I was carring way more then I actually needed and it wasn't until I started slimming down my boxes that it became lighter.

Do I have alot of boxes at home, you sure beat you I do but these boxes are for my surplus of flies or for flies that are not working.

I suggest to reduce the amount you are carring fiorst then find a system that works for you.

I used to have a chest pack and like bhurt, found it hurt my back as it pulled on my neck. I also didnt like having in in front of me because it made it harder to see my feet if I was walking in a trick spot.

I since changed to the Simms Headwater waist pack. It can be worn as a waist pack, but the strap is long enough to be worn as a sling pack with waist belt, chest pack, or just a waist belt. Simms Headwater Pack

It is thick and padded enough to provide some back support which I like. Simms has a couple of different packs that do the same.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dennis59

I'm just in the market for a change again been using the fishpond vest but I'm finding I'm putting way to much in it. (I know empty out the 20 box of flies would help) I like the idea of the hip pack. The big question is how water proof are they. I do tend to wade where a hip pack could be in water part of the time.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

I'm just in the market for a change again been using the fishpond vest but I'm finding I'm putting way to much in it. (I know empty out the 20 box of flies would help) I like the idea of the hip pack. The big question is how water proof are they. I do tend to wade where a hip pack could be in water part of the time.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

Dennis,

I have been using the fishpound hip pack for just about 2 years now and what I do if I go out in the water is I move the back up so it is strapped around my chest, however I generally do not go any deeper then my knees (Sometimes when I am crossing a waterway I might go up to my hips) I just find any deeper is taking a risk I do not want to take.

Anyways the things I like about the fishpound hip pack is

1. It can hold alot more then it looks like, the biggest pocket I use for my boxes, the second biggest I use for my tippet, wallet, phone, etc.... and then there is a front pocket with a foam hook holde and it flips out so it is very easy to use.

2. Very light and very durable, I have throwen mine in boats, back of vechicles in the bush and it still looks new (Mind you it has been a bit sun bleach but that is not a huge deal)

3. The two spots for water or drinks are also nice as they have a strap to tighten around smaller containers and holds empty timmies cups very nicely.

Have a look and see what you like, remeber buy something you want and not what the masses tell you to buy.

Not trying to hijack but where can a guy find WJ or Fispond packs ?

Id like to try some on, problem i have is i am a smaller built guy and some dont adjust enough to fit properly.

I have my eye on the Exodus, it just looks functional and sleek.

Thanks guys

You know it shouldn't come down to this versus that. In really hot weather I wear a fanny pack, its just cooler. On cool evenings or fall and winter I go to my chest pack, vest or fishing jacket with pockets for gear. Whatever suites your fishing conditions, weather or mood.

You know it shouldn't come down to this versus that. In really hot weather I wear a fanny pack, its just cooler. On cool evenings or fall and winter I go to my chest pack, vest or fishing jacket with pockets for gear. Whatever suites your fishing conditions, weather or mood.

That's why I like my Exodus so much. You can take off the "vest" and wear it on the hot days in the summer. Then you have the flexibility of the back pack for those day trips where you need a lunch, rain coat and the water bladder. The frame of the back pack also keeps it off your back for ventilation.

Great set up, in my opinion.

I've been using a Snowbee Sling Bag, I like it a lot when I'm using a spey or switch rod as it is out of the way when casting but can easily be swung around when you need something out of it. The main pocket is designed so that when you swing it to the front it is facing up and acts as a tray when you open it, very convenient when tying on flies.

http://www.angling-international.com/eftte...owbee-slingbag/

m24396_1_sling.jpg

Colin