Fly Fusion Forums

What Makes An Experienced Fisherman?

cgyguy

People that come on internet BB to attempt to derail good conversations every chance they get (giovanne and egocop) should be banned. Your only intent in any posts you have made is the intent to make derogatory remarks towards people. Keep doing so you two. Your IP's are logged on here. Civil law will take care of you guys eventually. There's a lot of lawyers who make big bucks out there just on people like you guys.

Why should they be banned?I think its good to have people speak there mind keeps things interesting around here.Besides you do leave yourself open to some shots in some of your posts.Remember its only the internet.Don't lose any sleep over it.

It's my experience that these types of topics at this time of year tend to go this way. But what would I know? I guess I do have a few data points in a few data sets on the original & related topics that allow me to extrapolate into this discussion. Of course, I suppose that statement also had something to do with the original post...

:)

Why should they be banned?I think its good to have people speak there mind keeps things interesting around here.Besides you do leave yourself open to some shots in some of your posts.Remember its only the internet.Don't lose any sleep over it.

Speaking their minds in a constructive manner would be welcomed. There's nothing wrong with that. Singling out people and repeatedly taking shots in every thread is ridiculous. Find me 5 constructive posts between the two of them and I'll leave it alone.

;mornCoffee: Not sure why everyone is gettin up each other on a post like this one. C'mon guys (girls), it's only a post to genereate some thoughton the subject and NOT menat to start shack nasties (we only have another 6 months of winter) :coldest: Back to the point, thanks to everyone that added their 2 bits worth on the subject, but maybe my post should have read:

What is your idea of a good all round fisherperson in every sense of the word? And quit bein so negative!!! :cheers:

Dude. Your IP is logged!

How dare you speak your mind, or state your opinion in a non-constructive manner. And please don't tell others what they can or can't lose sleep over.

Haven't said a thing about them other than in defense of one statement I made about the one day I spent on a certain drainage this year. There dragging it out into every thread they can get it started (including this one). Enough already. If they put that much effort into doing something for the resource maybe they'd get somewhere? I don't see their names on the donor lists for multiple organizations which help our streams out. Actions speak louder than words. People who know me know who I am and what I stand for and if a couple people on an internet board are going to continue to publicly attempt defamation of my character I will be looking into legal possibilities. The simple fact that you and others are started to see me in a different light is a direct result of their endless barrage.

The fact.

I guided about 15 days this year. I only fished myself about 15 days. I donated 7 days on the water to charities.

Abusing the resource? Hardly.

In it for the money? Hardly.

Makes me wonder what the agendas are on here.

Now, moving along... if we can have a thread anymore without people being abusive....

I dont now anyone on this forum personally. I get my info from what people post, then I form an opinion of them. The way I think about you is a direct result of your posts, it has nothing to do with anyone else. I dont like or dislike you man, I dont even know you.

Research suggests that to become an "expert" at something, you need to log in around 10,000 hrs of focused practice. Just doing some quick math that puts us at about 8 hours a day, 40 days a year, for about 30 years. The amount that I go fishing a year, I should be able to start feeling good about myself about the time I'm 85 or so. However, by that time, arthritis will be kicking in big time and I'll have forgotten most of what I've learned in the previous 9,000 hrs. Bummer...

Guest Sundancefisher
I have been fishing for over 40 years now, and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman. WHAT???? :laxfisher: I'm not sure if age should be considered to be an "experienced" fishperson? Hey, yes, I have been fishing for over 40 years but not every day! I get out as often as I can, and catch a few fish along the way, but I would hardly consider myself to be experienced. Does catching more fish than everybody make you more experienced? I have often heard guys on the board say "I have been fishing for x amount of years and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman (aka Rick W). <--poke--< To the point, i believe that what make someone an experienced fisherperson is how much time on the Water you have, not how old you are!! Hey, it's friggin cold out there today, and I doubt I will see any of those with x amount of experience on the river today!? Unless....... ::ice fish::

:cheers:

LOL...a thread with a mind of it's own.

People seem to be switching between "Experienced" and "Expert". These are different things IMHO. Anyone going out and fishing is gaining experience in fishing. It does not mean they are always also gaining skill towards becoming an expert. Sometimes people do the same old thing and never expand on their skill set. So while I could be experienced and fish a lot...I agree with some posts...it does not always translate into skill and expertise.

Catching more fish shows you have more expertise. It is a very true statement that 5% of the fishermen catch 95% of the fish. Some of those 5% can also show expertise in fishing different fly lines, different techniques and different bodies of water. However, while one may be an expert and have lots of experience fishing a particular lake or river...they may be a novice with little experience fishing for a different species in a different river or lake.

In all seriousness...an experienced...expert fisherman IMHO is one that knows that now nothing and is learning every time out. At least the honest ones.

Cheers

Sun

Taco,

That's why I about give up crick fishing - was too easy. Now that flat water keeps ya' thinking.

But that begs the question: Experienced @ what - salt water, beach fishing, tough lake fishing, brookie fishing, 500/day cut fishing, spring creek fishing. Me, well if I fished the Bow for the first time 50 years ago. Don't fish there anymore and haven't for 10 years. I now have no experience with the new reality of the Bow. The Crow is similar - used to spend 30 days in it a year. Now it's "0". Does that mean I have no experience?

Tough question - this experience thing.

Don

In concept what makes an experienced angler is pretty simple. But in practice its not. In the making of an experienced angler years matter in the sense that years and time spent on the water go hand in hand. Water levels, weather, timing of hatches may change or vary from year to year, week to week, day to day, even hour to hour. Successful anglers are better able to adapt to and anticipate some of the changes. On any given day an experienced angler might normally be successful when an inexperienced one might not. Successful anglers have finely tuned powers of observation along with a solid base of knowledge and skill sets all acquired over time spent on the water.

Experience comes with time spent fishing a particular waterbody. So, yes, in that sense years spent fishing do matter. I have gotten better with each year I fish the Bow. I have learned through trial and error what works for Me, and what will happen at a specific time of year. All of this takes time. Thus, I spend at least 25 days at the least on the Bow every year, since it is a gradual process to improve. The other thing is that it is a very individual thing. What I have found works for me on the river, may not work for others due to differences in skill levels and personal tempermant. Some flies guys mention,( such as the san juan worm) have never worked well for me on the Bow, for whatever reason. I have stood near fishermen catching fish after fish with the worm, while I get nothing. Then, when I switch to what I know works for me, I start getting the occasional fish. The Bow is a difficult river to understand, so I know all about the frustration of some people just starting, who are having trouble catching fish. It simply takes a lot of time fishing to become an effective fly fisherman.

What, The worm doesn't work for you?Weired

This may actually help you as your more likely to fish other patterns/methods.

I've got 20 yrs on the Bow.The only thing I'm good at is tyeing up and untangling nymph rigs.I don't seem to hit the trees behind me much anymore either.Must be experience.

The only thing I'm good at is tyeing up and untangling nymph rigs.

me too. case in point yesterday. i threw up a classic full fledged 5 alarm birds nest, and was able to recover and proceeded to catch a 'whole bunch' [which is like almost double digits in minutes but no one believes that kind of talk really] with said rig instead of spending 15 minutes retying because of my mad skillz. certainly years does matter. i find it helps if yer smart too. and really good looking. and have lotsa money. everythings just better then.

oh, and spending more that 3 hrs a year in waders [and i don't mean wearing them around the house] helps too.