Fly Fusion Forums

Best Dry Fly Hooks

monger

I'm having problems with hooks bending open on large fish. I've been using Mustad signature R50 hooks which seem to be better that Tiemco 100s. Any other suggestions for strong dry fly hooks.

Boatman fishing can be a bit violent at times.

Partridge Capt hamiliton nymph hooks...YH1A. Medium wire, 2x long......any reviews?

Daiichi ?

I am looking for dry fly hooks. It's pretty hard to float 2x heavy scud hooks. 2457s are awesome for nymph fishing...but I am fishing ON the surface. I also think one needs a straight hook if any stripping is to be done as curved hooks tend to roll. I guess I'll just have to suffer the consequences of big fish and keep bending the hooks back. It's such a horrible problem to deal with. If only I could get all those pesky 18-20"ers to ignore my flies now.

Thanks for the replies boys

Monger,

Had much the same trouble with soft hooks like Diiachi. Mustad does several hook styles in the Signature Lineup that should work for you. R069 and S70 both use 2XH wire. Standard wire hooks don't seem able to take the abuse.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/asia/products.php?id=10

catch ya'

Don

Thanks Don. I guess I will have to try some nymph hooks and see if they will stay up in the water column enough for the type of fishing I'm doing. I'm still landing most of the fish on R50 hooks but I have to continually bend the hooks back. Hard hits by 10 lbers tend staighten things out. Most of the hook ups are in the corner of the mouth suggesting they are taking the fly on the turn. I'll go tie some flies on heavy nymph hooks and do some experimenting.

Cheers, Rob

Those curved shank hooks seem to bend out easier and the 2487 has betrayed me way too many times. Stay away from those 2x fine Mustad R30 standard dry hooks too. For curved dries, I've been using the standard wire Mustad C57S, which both float well and don't bend out.

Snuffy,

Checked out Mustads site and I can't find the C57S hook. Would you check the number.

regards,

Don

Oops, I was going by memory at work. It's actually the C49S. I converted my collection my entire curvy, floating collection to this hook over the winter and it completely solved my bending hook problem. I still use the 2457 for sinkers because I like the shape better, but the 2487 is gone for good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no issues with Daiichi 1730 sizes 14 to 10 straightening out. Fishing boatmen and leeches, hard hits, fish 5 to 15 pounds

That said I really do like the Mustad C49s from size 14 on up.

As to needing it to float, there are several issues there. At times fish are not taking near surface and a bit of float ability is good so I use the Jennings Ultimate Boatmen type body or just create one out of foam, then use it on a NON-Density compensating full sinking line so when I cast and let the line sink, there is a belly that will have formed in the center area. I then strip the fly in and in doing so, it first drops close to the bottom then rises as the line is pulled toward the boat.

I also use weighted versions (tiny bit of flat lead at the bottom of the shank near the eye) in shallow water and let the boatman sink then strip it in with pauses.

Certainly if fish are taking them on the surface that is the fun way to fish but all too often one finds fish full to nearly bursting with boatmen and backswimmers yet there is no surface action. It is times like this when one must do some thinking about how to entice strikes...

Thanks for your insights NEBC. I have been fortunate to be catching 95% of the fish on the surface. It has been really hard to take. It the fish are not very busy on the surface they are still cruising at about 4 feet and will come up if enticed correctly. I did spend a day using the clear line just under the surface and it was very effective. I will try some 1730's out (catching 15 lbers sounds like a horrible thing to do). I haven't had to use the sinking line yet, but your theory for fly travel sounds like an effective way to get some bites.

Cheers, Rob

• 2 weeks later...