Fly Fusion Forums

What's The One Thing You Haven't Done Yet But Really Want To?

LynnF

This is a tough question to narrow down to just one thing, but let's give it a shot. Let's split it in 3 categories: Bow River fishing, cutthroat stream (freestone mountain stream) fishing and stillwater fishing.

For me, I have 3 barriers - barriers that I don't think will make me a better angler, but will give me more confidence in my abilities as one.

1) Bow River fishing - to get past that 22 inch mark. I'm not all about the biggest fish (I've caught pretty little 14 inch brown trouts that I've been more proud of than a big bow), but that fish over 22 inches eludes me. I catch my fair share that size and I should probably be happy with that, but that 24 incher would make me REALLY happy. I live for the day I can put that picture on my desktop ;)

2) Cutthroat stream fishing - to be able to target and catch bull trout. That's it. To be able to walk to a pool, swing a streamer and catch a big bully. I'm tired of catching them on 9 inch cutties :D

3) Stillwater - to be able to read water better. Learn more about thermalclines, feeding habits, fish lies, structure etc. My stillwater fishing experiences have been nothing more than pure speculation and a whole pile of luck (with the bonus of a fishing partner who has over 17 years experience doing it previously).

1) Bow River fishing - to fish the Bow! Never have yet!

2) Cutthroat stream fishing - to heli-fish into the remotest canyon on the South Ram

- also to try and use a 1 wt for 6" cuts

3) Stillwater - to try Don A's indicator system.

4) Spey casting- to swing a Spey for BC salmon/steelhead

1) Bow River fishing - to fish till I can no longer walk.

2) Cutthroat stream fishing - then get a buddy to lean on to get me me to the stream

3) Stillwater - after the above still have enough energy to teach fly tying.

1, 2 and 3: To be SiverDoctor's apprentice.

1) no goals on the Bow yet as I don't live near by so hardly get to fish it.

2) for a cutthroat stream, It's more about getting to different spots for me than catching a particular fish. I have yet to hike from the confluence of the north and south Ram downstream past the chutes. It needs to be done.

3) For stillwaters, I do want to be able to learn how to fish at depth better. If they're not rising, my catch rates go way down. For destinations, would like to get to Harvey Lake in JNP and Turquoise Lake in BNP. Still waiting to catch a splake and a Lake trout and then I think I've caught most of Alberta's fish.

1. Bow River: Land, Snap the Picture and release a nice Trout that my Daughter(s) just cast a little emerger pattern to along the bank as the sun sets.

2. Cutthroat: Watch from a distance while my oldest Daughter helps land the nice 20" Cutty that she helped her younger sister catch.

3. Leave the rod in the truck, video tape and just help out while my kids take advantage of the great Chronnie fishing in the spring. Just the three of us out in the boat, staring at little corkies that keep disappearing and the sounds of giggling as they reel in fish after fish.

4. Seeing the look on Rick's face when he hooks into his first truely "Big" Bull Trout in September. ;)

Bow River: i don't fish it cuz i don't want to add to the overcrowding on it...

Freestone Streams: accomplished goal of 30"+ bull this summer; no goals remaining...

Stillwaters: i don't fish them so i save them for the ones that do...

Ultimate Goal In Life: to have my name become famous in the southern Alberta fly fishing community (fat chance i know :lol: )

1) Bow river - Still haven't fished it below ghost yet.

2) Cutthroat stream - there is a local stream(creek) that is isolated from the bow via a tall outlet culvert. It is spring fed with a high iron content so the fish are copper coloured (Look like goldens, but actually cutties) - been donating flies to area trees and bushes regularly but the creek is only 3 ft wide and tree covered so I have yet to catch one of these guys. Need to pick up a 6' 1 or 2 wt rod just for this creek.

3) Still water - Monster laker on spey at Hector - Remember in "Carrie", the mothers voice repeating "They are all gonna laugh at you - they are all gonna laught at you" been hearing that in my head everytime I cast into that hellish wind down there LOL - would love to land a 30" or better laker on spey by the end of summer (from shore !).

1) Bow River... to catch something in the Upper Bow. So far nothing bigger than 4"

2: Cutthroat stream....to find one in this part of the Okanagan

3) Still water....learned a ton this spring & summer 'cause that's all that's open until July here in BC. Goal is to catch a monster 'Bow in

Sushwap Lake....

Bow: Get a brown or rainbow 28" or better. That failing, become a much better nymph fisherman.

Cutty streams: meh. You guys can have 'em.

Stillwaters: Still trying to hit that elusive 10 pound mark.

Bow river- 2 of them -float it again- and be able to increase my distance casts to enable me to fish all that awesome structure on the far bank on the middle and upper bow....... need to be able to consistantly make 60-100 foot casts...... with no backcast AND still be able to set the hook which I can do already but it usually requires the 10 step hookset step 1 set hook steps 2-10 - run backwards trying to keep the pressure on

Cutty streams--I'd love to be able to get dropped at the farthest point up that I have been able to walk and wade a certain stream in one day and walk the next 6-8 kms of what I imagine is basically untouched water....

Stillwaters-- better technique-- develop more consistent retrieves, depth control, and learn the more subtle uses of different sink rate lines.... and develop some patience.

Bow river; Catch a 25" + 'bow.

Cutthroat stream; Fish virgin water. It's gotta be possible, somewhere. This wish could be directly related to my last trip to the Livingstone.

Still water; Not smoke a pack of cigarettes while waiting for my indie to bob.

in general be able to cast my who line, im getting pretty close but i just cant seem to get it all to shoot.

bow to catch a 25+ hog brown in the coming months

cutty streams to have a 50+ fish day including some LARGE bulls

stillwater i would have to say that i would like to hike into a few more lakes maybe camp overnight

Bow - to accompant TM in the team landing of the "locomotive" (probably easily a 30+ brown)

Mountain streams - to make some time to fish my favorite rewaches of the Oldman again this year..

Stillwaters - would like to chase some Lakers on the fly rod... looks like early spring 2008 will be my first shot at it. I'm addicted to Lakers lately.

Other - Gonna do it this fall. My dream is to fish the steelie runs in BC. I'll be on the Skeena / Bulkley / Babine in early Oct! :lol: