Fly Fusion Forums

Your Bow "go-to" Rod

I know this topic has been beat to death around here, but I need some friendly advice from those more experienced than I.

In short, here is the state of things. I currently have two rods, both cheapies. A 2-piece, 9', 6 wt. Redington Redfly 2 (part of a kit that was my first gear), which I hate, and a $100, 2-piece 8 ft, 4 wt. TFO signature rod, which I love compared to the Redfly 2, as it is shorter for small creeeks and more sensitive and fun to fish. I suspect there may be more out there for me, so I have lined up to try the following rods, all in 9 ft, 4 -piece, 5 wt. - Sage Z-axis, Sage VT2, St. Croix Legend ultra, and TFO TiCr. I am looking forward to the shoot-off.

Anything I missed? I would like to stay under $400-500 if I can, and am looking for an all-round rod that I can use for the Bow and similar-size rivers (Maligne, Atha-B, Clearater, Red Deer, etc.). Basically, for everthing but small creeks, where I use my 8 ft, 4 wt TFO, or maybe a sweet little 7', 2 or 3wt Sage TXL, if I can convince the wife. I don't fish streamers much or with sinking lines. The rod will be mainly for nymphing and fishing dries with casts in the 30-60 ft. range. I am no distance champion. I considered a longer length, maybe 9' 6" or 10" for added line control while nymphing and to help on lakes, but think 9' may be more versatile when brush is involved. I would say, based on my limited experience, that moderate or moderate-fast rods suit be better than fast ones.

I know ultimately I have to decide myself, based on what feels right and what my particular needs are. Still, I would be interested to hear what people's "go-to" rod for the Bow is and what they use it for.

Thanks.

for me the best rod under $400 going is the G Loomis GL3. Does everything, in my opinion the ultimate single hand rod for the bow(in that price range) my favorite overall single hand rod on the bow is without a doubt the Sage XP 690. The XP is like a laser with buggers and hoppers.

Just my personal opinion, but when I casted the G-loomis I didn't like the mid to lower flex point, felt like a wet noodle to me. I like a medium to fast action mid top flex rod. I was in the same boat as you for rod budget. The z-axis is a nice rod, but you will not get it for 400 - 500 bucks. What I found was there was a marked difference between a $200 rod and a $400 rod. THat goes with out saying. But the differences between a $400 rod and a $800 rod were not as dramatic. I ended up going with a 5wt Sage flight lined with SA GPX line. It comes with ots own 4 peice case that has room to leave your reel on.

I personally really like it, compact, delicate on the southern Ab creeks, 4 piece so makes a good pack rod, can throw moderatly weighted streamers, and nymphs well on the bow. Try it out.

I originally got my TFO 10' 6wt 4pc for fishing the Kananaskis Lakes and fighting the wind out there too and it is great out there, but I use it on the Bow all the time as well and I love it...I can't tell you how much I have gotten out of this rod. Unreal. Fighting butt on it...cheap...I got a Pflueger reel on there as well.

You don't go into specifics as to why you hate your Redington? If it's a case of how it "feels" or "casts" then maybe you need to under/over line it or try and "balance" it properly?! Spending ~$80 on another line may save you $500 - $600 in the long run. Also, there are a couple of 5 wt & 6 wt rods on the trading post thread that might do the trick, as well...

You don't need to spend a lot of $ on a rod to enjoy... If you are catching fish with a lower end rod, you are still catching fish...

P

which I hate,

Just my personal opinion, but when I casted the G-loomis I didn't like the mid to lower flex point, felt like a wet noodle to me. I like a medium to fast action mid top flex rod. I was in the same boat as you for rod budget. The z-axis is a nice rod, but you will not get it for 400 - 500 bucks. What I found was there was a marked difference between a $200 rod and a $400 rod. THat goes with out saying. But the differences between a $400 rod and a $800 rod were not as dramatic. I ended up going with a 5wt Sage flight lined with SA GPX line. It comes with ots own 4 peice case that has room to leave your reel on.

I personally really like it, compact, delicate on the southern Ab creeks, 4 piece so makes a good pack rod, can throw moderatly weighted streamers, and nymphs well on the bow. Try it out.

While not super fast, this rod has a fast tip and throws buggers better than most. I would respectfully disagree with you on the wet noodle comment! Although I don't own a GL3, I find this rod a pleasure to cast and have a fishin bud whos been setting aside some pricey rods to use this as a workhorse on the bow for a few years now...Perhaps not my first choice as a nymphing rig, it will get that job done and bang out buggers and dries with the best of em.

"so I have lined up to try the following rods, all in 9 ft, 4 -piece, 5 wt. - Sage Z-axis, Sage VT2, St. Croix Legend ultra, and TFO TiCr. I am looking forward to the shoot-off."

Curious as to why you'd limit your choices/options for a truly comprehensive comparison and why you wouldn't at the very least look at one of this website's advertiser's/supporters ?

http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/windwarr...ndwarrior1.html

j

I have the 10ft 5wt wind warrior a buddy of mine custom built. I love it. I also fish a ton with the shop rod from Hanson's. It is a 6 wt, 9 ft called the Traveler. Fairly fast, handles heavy nymph rigs with ease. I don't really have a go to between the two, I just use whichever I feel like fishing with that day.

"so I have lined up to try the following rods, all in 9 ft, 4 -piece, 5 wt. - Sage Z-axis, Sage VT2, St. Croix Legend ultra, and TFO TiCr. I am looking forward to the shoot-off."

Curious as to why you'd limit your choices/options for a truly comprehensive comparison and why you wouldn't at the very least look at one of this website's advertiser's/supporters ?

http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/windwarr...ndwarrior1.html

j

I think the purpose of his post was also to see if there were other rods he should consider. The sentence after the one you quoted is "Anything I missed?"

you should maybe look at the Sage Vantages, they are an inexpensive option to getting into the Sage line up. If you are trying the VT2s you really should look at the Vantage, I think the Vantage has a nicer feel to it then the VT2s. Just a thought, if you can find a cheap Launch out there I would buy that without question.

I used a couple of TFO 5wt TiCr rods for 3 years and loved them. Caught lots good sized fish and casted streamers, double nymph rigs and dries without any problems. Recently gave them to my dad and replaced with g loomis rods I found a good deal on. Was kind of missing the feel of my TFO on my first outing but by mid day I was liking my new rod. I also have a few z axis, a couple of XP's and a few other g loomis in different weights and lengths. I haven't bought a new rod since my TFO's and find that guys are selling used stuff in new condition for about half the price of new. If you do some digging on the internet you can find some amazing deals.

I don't know what others think but it doesn't seem to matter what rod I am casting but after a half hour or so I have adjusted my cast to fit the rod and don't seem to have many issues. I have even casted my dads 6wt canadian tire rod he got on sale for $40 and once I was concentrated on fishing I didn't notice it affecting my cast. It was a little heavier than what I usually use and started to feel that by the end of the day but was still able to punch flies out there and catch fish. I am a bit of a gear head and probably have more rods than I need. But we all have to spend our hard earned cash on something. I guess spend what you feel comfortable spending because every rod will catch fish if the guy holding it is capable.

I personally just upgraded to a sage launch rod from a cheapie. The 9' 5wt sounds like something you should consider because you mentioned the nymphing and dryfly thng. The rod is really really sensative, it's not something I'de consider to use for throwing streamers, but for nymphing and dries it's just an awesome rod to fish. The best part is, they discontinued the launch series at sage (now the vantage series) so the launch series is being cleared out, and you can get them online for less than 175 bucks even though they retailed for over 245 while they were in production.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, a med fast 9'6" for a 6 is a great choice for an all around rod for Bow river sized fish. However, some may consider it a compromise if you also used it for dries, some may not, regardless, it would work very well for long line nymphing and streamers. You could go with a 9.6 or 10 for a 5 which would do it all but heavy streamers, i.e., a 5 weight would prob not cast tandem double bunnies very efficiently, but a fast 6 prob could.

Me personally, I bring 2 rods when wade fishing bigger rivers for trout, a light switch and a 3 or 4 weight for dries.