Fly Fusion Forums

Tough Waders...

dekkard2019

I am looking for a real durable wader for walking and wading. I understand that leaky waders are a part of life, but, is there something out there that you swear by? I have gone through 2 pairs in 10 months and I think it is time for me to drop more dollars down. I stopped by Westwinds and the Simms Headwaters pant looked good. On hotter days I usually just wet wade, but I need something that is going to be there from January to December. Thoughts? I kind of like the pant waders...I like to be as light as possible because I walk a lot. Thanks.

I hear the Patagonia Guidewater waders are pretty bomber, and have also heard good things about the SIMMS G3 & G4 (& G4Z), though hot are very durable (G3 has a convertible option that has been discussed on here previously). That being said I have not tried either...

What I do know is that both companies have STELLAR guarantees/warranties and customer service!!

P

I am looking for a real durable wader for walking and wading. I understand that leaky waders are a part of life, but, is there something out there that you swear by? I have gone through 2 pairs in 10 months and I think it is time for me to drop more dollars down. I stopped by Westwinds and the Simms Headwaters pant looked good. On hotter days I usually just wet wade, but I need something that is going to be there from January to December. Thoughts? I kind of like the pant waders...I like to be as light as possible because I walk a lot. Thanks.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. The G3s are good, but the G4s are even better because they use more of the 5 layer Gore Tex on the legs and butt. They do tend to be a bit hotter than the lighter waders, but lighter usually means less layers and therefore less durable. In the summer I roll down the top of my G3s or leave the zipper undone on my G4Zs. If you like the pant style check out the G3 pant as well. They use more of the 5 layer material than the Headwaters pant so might be a bit more durable. I probably wore my G3s well over 200 days and the only thing that wore out was the tape on the neoprene booties. Still have them as a backup pair too. Probably have about 150 days on the G4Zs and other than the same tape problem not a leak or anything.

Hey man>>>long time no see.

i had a pair of the sierra pants and they were awesome. I blew out the crotch cause i have long legs( climbing banks and whatnot) and they don make a large tall pair but it was a while before it happened. The down side is when you need to cross a part in the river that is a bit over the top of them. Id get a pair ov convertable ish' waders, something u can roll down and draw tight around ur waist when its hot out. I bought a pair of dan baileys from fishtales, (thanks dave) and they r awesome and comfortable, lots of stretch room for climbing and can roll em down to the waist and draw them tight. I probably would have bought the sims convertable ones but 500(i think) compared to 189......well......leaves u some extra cash for flies, line and whatever other toys u need. Havnt had a problem with the baileys and have deff done some backcountry climbin with em. Later dude, good luck with the waders!

My opion if they have seams they leak. I got a pair of redingtons now took at least 40 trips before i got a seam leak but they have no tears or anything. Had baileys before that for 3 years and a lot of time on the water and bush hiking, and they where seam leaking after about a year. I just use aqua seal till, it don't work no more.

if you thrash waders then Patagonia is a good bet. I just had a pair warrantied after two years of abuse, and they asked no questions. They mentioned that fit was really important, as the seams are stressed when they are not properly fitted.

If you walk lots, which I do as well, seams not on the inside of the legs would be preferable. Simm's G3's and up offer that on the lower leg which is great, but the upper thigh/crotch area the seams are on the inside receiving more wear. This is were mine failed after a year. Not a nice surprise wading out in cold water and realizing your seams are leaking in the crotch.

I gave a pair of Simms G3 Convertibles. They are by far the best breathables I've ever worn. They only have one flaw: the breathable fabric retains water for longer than other brands. This will drive you crazy if you fish in cold weather. The waders litterally "freeze up" and get hard as nails. We did some winter camping/steelhead fishing over the Xmas holidays, and daily temps were around -8. I had to start the campfire and thaw out my waders before I had any chance of getting out of them. This was a huge pain in the ass and cause for many an f-bomb.

andrew

If you want good waders, do not go with Reddington. I had the CPS for a year, really liked the fit, never leaked, 4 days before heading on a 2 week steelhead trip in the fall a seam began leaking. Warranty was amazing, sent me a brand new pair of CPX zipper front, had them courriered (sp?) tome within 2 days (amazing!) without having recieved the leaking waders yet. Unfortunately the CPX (or fat guy waders as I like to call them - beer gut shaped and with a piss zipper) began seam leaking within 4 days of fishing so I was relegated to neoprene (showing off the rig) which isn't a situation I particularily enjoy. When I returned from that trip, I sent both my old and new waders back, and received another pair of the fat guy waders, this time without the piss zipper (I requested this because I thought perhaps they would be a slimmer fit (like my old CPS). Unfortunately they are still extra girthy, but good I suppose, if you like to wear a lot of sweaters and they do air the farts rather quickly. Moral of the story, great warranty, but leaky seams.

My inner thigh seams have worn on my CPS waders and I have also used aquaseal (Now if I can just find the other small hole somewhere!)!

Next pair I'm definitely going with a set that have the seams on the front or back (SIMMS, Patagonia or Orvis)...

P

My reddingtons have leaky seams too, aqua seal is a beautiful product though

If you want truly indestructible waders, albeit ugly as sin, check out the Snowbee Wademaster waders

600D Wademaster Waders

Many years ago, we used to make a nylon wader called the ‘WaderMaster’. Made from 600D Ballistic Nylon – the same material ‘Special Forces’ use for their 1-piece jump suits – this material is as close to indestructible as it gets! Well they’re back… but even better!

11281-01 600D Wademaster Waders- See size chart>

The new Snowbee Wadermasters are now made from a heavy duty rip-stop, 600D nylon and offer ever greater durability than the originals.

They’re not breathable and they’re not lightweight. What they are is incredibly tough, durable and hardwearing. They deflect thorns and gorse like no other material and if you want a pair of waders that is going to last… this is it.

600D Ballistic Nylon material with a PVC backing to ensure it stays waterproof

Unique acrylic felt lining to boots for warmth and comfort

Interior lined with heavy duty nylon mesh to avoid condensation

All seams double stitched and heat taped on the inside

Heavy duty, moulded PVC boots, heat welded to the upper to ensure they remain watertight

Fully cleated sole for sure grip in all conditions and terrain

Fully adjustable elasticated braces, with quick release buckles

Front welded patch pockets with waterproof zips

Additional internal mesh pocket for extra storage

Adjustable webbing waist belt for comfort and safety

Rear reflective strip for night-time safety

Colour: Black Sizes: 6 to 13

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/wading/

Drop Courtney at Nile Creek Fly Shop a PM for more info.

Colin