Fly Fusion Forums

Cheap Sunglasses

Or not.

Got my new Maui Jim's delivered today, birthday present (belated) from my wife! My first good sunglasses post eye surgery. Only nod to age is the little bifocal cut in the corner of each lens. Not noticeable unless you know they are there, and now I can tie on flies without flipping down the big magnifying glass on my hat. Can't wait for summer!!

Now someone or someones will post their negative experience with Maui Jim's. Don't care. Best lenses and I look cool in them. Or at least as cool as it is possible to look in sunglasses with bifocals in them. Which probably isn't really all that cool, but as good as it gets at my age.

Laser eye surgery at Lasik MD.

Near sighted my whole life, which means I can see near just fine but my distance vision is bad. Same prescription since I was 12. But as you age, regardless of near sightedness, your ability to focus close up goes away as well. Either can be fixed surgically, but not both. They shape the eye in different fashions to correct, and they are mutually exclusive. So yes, I had laser. And yes, I need reading glasses. So they are not really bifocals (which implies a near and far corrective lens), they just have a small built in magnifier into each lens of non prescription sunglasses.

I did have prescription Maui Jim's once. Don't leave those in your loose coat pocket on a c-train.

Maui Jim's suck. Shortly after I purchased my first pair I started to dig Jimmy Buffet and tacky Hawaiian shirts. They also caused partial blindness in my one eye; it was all downhill after that.

64614_270.jpg

I bought my first pair of prescritpion MJ's last year, great glasses for everything, somehow misplaced them ( I convinced myself they were stolen), now wearing a cheaper prescript sunglasses until my wife cools off. I too have been contemplating surgery but as Rick points out they can't fix both so you are either putting glasses on to see far ( current state) or putting glasses on to read ( post surgery state), either way maturity is a bitch...

And I have been to a few Jimmy Buffet shows ( Toronto and Dallas), they are like the best house party you have ever been at x 10...wasted away again...sk ( don't remember seeing Gary Busey at either show)

Maui Jim's suck. Shortly after I purchased my first pair I started to dig Jimmy Buffet and tacky Hawaiian shirts. They also caused partial blindness in my one eye; it was all downhill after that.

Pretty sure Jimmy Buffet is 10 degrees of awesome... or 92 degrees in the shade awesome (depending on the company he is keeping at the time)...

After loosing my first pair of Mj's almost 5 years ago(Fell off the top of my head an into the Clearwater) and gone forever, I never purchased another pair due to the cost.....until now. Jan2010 BUT Bought a $30 pair of polarized amber lenses strictly for fishing! Why I need a $309 pair of glasses is beyond me, BUT dam do I lov'em!

Guest Sundancefisher
Or not.

Got my new Maui Jim's delivered today, birthday present (belated) from my wife! My first good sunglasses post eye surgery. Only nod to age is the little bifocal cut in the corner of each lens. Not noticeable unless you know they are there, and now I can tie on flies without flipping down the big magnifying glass on my hat. Can't wait for summer!!

Now someone or someones will post their negative experience with Maui Jim's. Don't care. Best lenses and I look cool in them. Or at least as cool as it is possible to look in sunglasses with bifocals in them. Which probably isn't really all that cool, but as good as it gets at my age.

I hated getting on their mailing list and email list....SPAM SPAM SPAM lol

I used to have Rudy as a sponsor and I'd still recommend them. They've had a promotion going for a while that gives you a free polarized lense:

http://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-combo-details.php

The racing red works well for fishing and is available on several models. From my perspective, the best thing about them is their lifetime replacement lense guarantee. They'll replace any lense you manage to scratch for $25, no questions asked.

• 2 years later...
Laser eye surgery at Lasik MD.

Near sighted my whole life, which means I can see near just fine but my distance vision is bad. Same prescription since I was 12. But as you age, regardless of near sightedness, your ability to focus close up goes away as well. Either can be fixed surgically, but not both. They shape the eye in different fashions to correct, and they are mutually exclusive. So yes, I had laser. And yes, I need reading glasses. So they are not really bifocals (which implies a near and far corrective lens), they just have a small built in magnifier into each lens of non prescription sunglasses.

I did have prescription Maui Jim's once. Don't leave those in your loose coat pocket on a c-train.

Hi Rick,

I was thinking about getting a prescription pair of Maui Jim's myself.

Were you happy with yours before they broke?

Where did you get yours done?

thanks

Sean

I was more than happy with them before I lost the stupid things! I have a non prescription pair now. The prescriptions were the grey lens. I currently have a pair of MJ sports with the HCL Bronze. I think I like the bronze a bit better.

I got the prescription ones done in the +15 Downtown. Can't think of the name of the place, its around the stock exchange.