Fly Fusion Forums

Cleaning Fly Rods.

flyfishfairwx

Don, while you're at it, I'm looking for someone to come clean my house on a regular basis!! Interested?! LoL :P

P

You bet - as long as I can use my car washer in there. You got central drains like the ones you see regularly in "tank"?

catch ya'

Don

Folks,

There is car wax and car cleaning products that are used for paint shining that may be mostly wax but could be and vary likely are mixed with very tiny abrasives.

Be very careful what you buy.

Don

Wouldn't you want just plain carnauba wax like the classic Turtle Wax or one of the others that usually comes in a tub with a foam applicator?

Ok here's a little of my nerdy chemistry side coming out. Soap - almost all soaps - have phosphates. These are not good for the environment. If you notice a lot of laundry detergents are now "Phosphate Free". I used to work at a water treatment plant and this was a major concern and we tested for it weekly. I can't for the life of me remember why it is harmful but a quick Google search should clear that up. Anyhoo - the soap sold for camping is eco-friendly - comes in those little bottles at Wholesale, MEC, etc. That works well and is eco-friendly. I have to go repair my glasses with some scotch tape now.

That's interesting because I was told once, by an allergist, that I have a mild allergy to phosphates. Even one drink of anything with preservatives containing phosphates in it, cheap beer for example, makes me feel a bit off. I always found it harsh but perhaps I should be using ivory soap.

headscan,

I use carnauba wax I get from Lee Valley. Little pricey and I use it on reel seat inserts.

Don

Rickr,

You really can't blame Flyfishfairwx for wanting to get the porcelain thundermug effluent off his fishing pole. After all, about 1,000,000 people try to coat your gear every day. Some with success.

personally, i find falling in the river a few times a year keeps the dust down and works perfectly well for rod cleaning...

there has to be some purpose to my little swimming adventures...

I either claim that I'm washing the inside of my waders or I was too hot and needed to cool off.

I either claim that I'm washing the inside of my waders or I was too hot and needed to cool off.

i suppose that could work, but i wet wade in the summer. i can't claim i'm washing the inside of anything without someone giving me a sideways look, nodding and walking away slowly