Fly Fusion Forums

Cleaning Fly Rods.

flyfishfairwx

I have noticed that my fly rods have a haze/dirt on the outside of the blank, this is from use. I was wondering how you all go about cleaning your fly rods, our season here does not end, it slows down, so I thought I would use this time to give the RODS a wipe down.

So the question is

How often do you do this

Do you use anything, wax, cleaner etc...

Is there any special stuff?

I wipe mine down with a soft cloth sprayed with a bit of WD-40........Brings the lustre up and works makes them look like new........I might do it a couple of times a year depending on use/condition......

I wipe mine down with a soft cloth sprayed with a bit of WD-40........Brings the lustre up and works makes them look like new........I might do it a couple of times a year depending on use/condition......

WD40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

explain to me and convince me that it will not ruin my fly rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry ADC I only use WD40 on my vehicles and I have heard that some Bait Chucking hardware fishing fools use it for Lakers ....

For those that would not understand my that part of my post

In no way indicating or implying that you are one of the "Bait Chucking hardware fishing fools use it for Lakers ...."

Warm water, mild dish washing detergent and soft cotton rags, old toothbrush for scrubbing dirty cork, I'll use some bleach in the water if the cork really stained, wash, rinse and dry thoroughly. Use Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean the ferules, male and female. On heavily used or older rods every once in awhile I've been known to use some turtle car polish to restore the luster. Clean, lube and polish my reels when I get into the mood too. I use Quantum Hot Sauce reel lube.

Done it for years and no damage........I think one of the main ingredients in WD-40 is fish oil anyway--that's why it works on those big laker spoons........Gotta be good.........

I am listening but still skeptical.

I don't think they use whale oil any more in it !!!!

The WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product

Hmmmm that's what I thought, no longer natural oil based (read that Whale or Fish oil) and now a synthetic oil product..

I understand that the rod finish is damn near impervious but and there is always a but if there is a crack in the finish.. and the WD40 gets to the under materials that maybe different..

ADC have you noticed this with any of your rods.. I only ask or question the WD40 because if I **** up a rod then it will take forever to replace. I know 100% that you would not give ill advise, it is just not your way but and of course there is always a but , I do worry!!!

Hmmmm that's what I thought, no longer natural oil based (read that Whale or Fish oil) and now a synthetic oil product..

I understand that the rod finish is damn near impervious but and there is always a but if there is a crack in the finish.. and the WD40 gets to the under materials that maybe different..

ADC have you noticed this with any of your rods.. I only ask or question the WD40 because if I **** up a rod then it will take forever to replace. I know 100% that you would not give ill advise, it is just not your way but and of course there is always a but , I do worry!!!

My experience says it's fine but I guess you never know........If you're worried Ray then I wouldn't do it..........I can't provide a guarantee.............

My experience says it's fine but I guess you never know........If you're worried Ray then I wouldn't do it..........I can't provide a guarantee.............

Agreed and understood, just a thought, WD40 does repel water... but does attract airborne particles , any thoughts or observations on that..

I know people who use Pledge and swear by it. Some of their equipment looks better than mine but then again some of mine is 50 yrs old. It doesn't have to been much but routine maintenance is the key.

I find that a good rubbing with alcohol(methyl or iso) on a clean, soft cloth, then sparse car wax on a cloth will bring the luster back. Any scuffs can sometimes be "repaired" with with super-fine cut polish, as well.

j

I've also heard, and wondered, about the use of WD on rods and Armour All on lines. I'm no David Suzuki, but putting this stuff in the water can't be a good thing. At the same time, I'm not naive enough to think that the river isn't already full of man introduced stuff that's harmful to aquatic life. However, in my opinion, if everyone does their own small part to protect what we still have out their, our collective efforts will make a difference, hopefully.

+1 for dish soap

Flyfishfairwx

Ah heck - I pop the multi-piece plastic rods into the washing machine. Works just fine.

Of course for the good rods, I clean with water and wipe them down with car wax or similar products.

And while your cleaning and polishing - don't forget your line & reel and a recoat on your Goretex jacket/boots/waders.

Don

I have used car paste wax for years with no problems. I fished last week with a friend who uses 303. The solution used to clean rubber rafts, kick boats etc. Even uses it on the cork. I asked if there had been any problems and the answer was a defiinate NO. The cork on my friends rod looked brand new. My friend used 303 after each trip, which I think is a little excessive, but to each his own. I am going to try a bottle of 303 and see what I think of it on my rods.

Don, while you're at it, I'm looking for someone to come clean my house on a regular basis!! Interested?! LoL :P

P

Flyfishfairwx

Ah heck - I pop the multi-piece plastic rods into the washing machine. Works just fine.

Of course for the good rods, I clean with water and wipe them down with car wax or similar products.

And while your cleaning and polishing - don't forget your line & reel and a recoat on your Goretex jacket/boots/waders.

Don

I've also heard, and wondered, about the use of WD on rods and Armour All on lines. I'm no David Suzuki, but putting this stuff in the water can't be a good thing. At the same time, I'm not naive enough to think that the river isn't already full of man introduced stuff that's harmful to aquatic life. However, in my opinion, if everyone does their own small part to protect what we still have out their, our collective efforts will make a difference, hopefully.

+1 for dish soap

Ok here's a little of my nerdy chemistry side coming out. Soap - almost all soaps - have phosphates. These are not good for the environment. If you notice a lot of laundry detergents are now "Phosphate Free". I used to work at a water treatment plant and this was a major concern and we tested for it weekly. I can't for the life of me remember why it is harmful but a quick Google search should clear that up. Anyhoo - the soap sold for camping is eco-friendly - comes in those little bottles at Wholesale, MEC, etc. That works well and is eco-friendly. I have to go repair my glasses with some scotch tape now.