Fishing League

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you missed me. If there's still a spot i'm in. No worries if there isn't

cheers,

Mike

So maybe with all this nice weather we could start a little earlier.

My list,

-Tungsten

-Jayvee

-Drew

-Teck

-rickr

-annapolis

-Rufus 28

-trout slayer

-Bhurt

-ladystrange

-FNG

-Keith

-Benbear

-Darryl

-Andicapp

-Avalanch

-Troutlover

-Timj

-Castuserraticus

-daxlarsen

-fruinincalgary

-westlake

If I'm missing anyone let me no.

Maybe start first week of April,thoughts?

Edit:I meant second week of April

• 3 weeks later...

So we have 19,lets start two weeks from today April 21.I 'll get a schedule out to everyone by the weekend.

My list,

-Tungsten

-Jayvee

-Teck

-rickr

-Rufus 28

-Bhurt

-ladystrange

-FNG

-Keith

-Benbear

-Darryl

-Avalanche

-Troutlover

-Timj

-Castuserraticus

-daxlarsen

-fruinincalgary

-westlake

_Webby

So we have 19,lets start two weeks from today April 21.I 'll get a schedule out to everyone by the weekend.

My list,

-Tungsten

-Jayvee

-Teck

-rickr

-Rufus 28

-Bhurt

-ladystrange

-FNG

-Keith

-Benbear

-Darryl

-Avalanche

-Troutlover

-Timj

-Castuserraticus

-daxlarsen

-fruinincalgary

-westlake

_Webby

Sweet!!!

No one said anything about rules.

There really isn't any hard rules.If you touch the leader (9') its landed.I would think everyones OK with foul hooked fish counting, it happens.Trout only.

If anyone else can think of anything please feel free to bring it up.

You all might want to look at this and then maybe not, I will probably get chewed out for posting it. But and there is always a but, I get to stir the pot on FFC and with the poster!

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=23085&hl=

Feeling like a pot stiring-ish today.. The good thing is I do not think it got the reaction the poster was hoping for!!!!

If you read this..Sort of sorry PGK !

And Ladystrange for the WIN :numbchuck::wub:

well boys...

yes someone did manage to go and post this non-sence over on the FFC board.

is it a competition... yes of course it is. to all of those who want to make it a competition. several of us are doing it for OTHER reasons...

1. Get to know your fellow board members

we dont do claves or come visit our water and we'll visit yours. it's fly fish calgary, short of an easterner or 2, a few guys from lethbridge, one from the Hat (bloom), some ex-calgarians living in and around Edmonton and Jack, we all live in Calgary :/ but most of them don't know one fisherman from another when you run into them at a shop or the Expo. So we thought it would be nice to actually get out and FISH with each other rather than talking about fish at the fly shop or the board.

2. Get to know the BOW

although it is not the size of the Thompson, Fraser, Skeena, Squamish, Harrison, Veder... i could go on, but you get the point... it is a very technical river. there are a number of the boys who fish the Bow every day that it is above -7, then there are those of us (me) who lives 10 minutes from the stupid thing and dont. I generally fish the small mountain streams when they open in June. I usually only end up fishing the Bow in the fall or get to go on the odd drift. inspite of the number of fish approx 2500/km, it is tricky. the wind comes up, usually heading down stream with gusts up to 70k, then lulls of 5k. the surface water is much faster than the bottom and really hard to get a nice drift. the benefit of #1 is that # 2 will happen.

3. Where to fish...

damn good question? oppertunity over the next 16 weeks to fish anywhere on a 30km stretch of river... there is one guy from banff on the board and i'm looking forward to fishing the upper reaches of the Bow that i have never fished... wait, i only fish the thing 5 times a year... i havent fished most of it.

4. networking...

kinda goes along with #1. oh, then there is my new 1134 (thanks Jack) that i am pimping around the river during this "competition"...

5. I might learn something

swinging streamers works consistently in run off. there is more to nymphing that a SJW. (really? who knew?), indicator fishing... (isnt that like using a bobber) There's a midge hatch year round and you can coronimid (sp? and i cant be bothered to find the correct spelling) fish in a river, BWO are coming off right now and the dry fly fishing on the Bow is SICK!! (when it isnt windy) when Stampede starts use stone flies. on those hot muggy days when it hasnt rained in weeks use stimulators or grass hopper patterns with a nymph dropper. (thank god for 2 hooks on a line some days) and beyond that, i'm taking up that 2 handed thing... it's popular and i hope to pick up tips from everyone.

and some where way down on the bottom of the list is actually catching fish. so PGK, if you take a moment to read through the 2 differnt posts about the league and the 8 or so pages that go along with it you will (maybe) figure out that just about everyone has the same opinion about the league that i do. meet, cast, learn, and if you are lucky... catch a few fish in the process. there is no gag order, there is no p!ssing competition about who is going to win or who is better, who has the most expensive gear, who has the biggest fish. nobody cares... and if there is a trophy at the end of it all, it will probably be a tin can of worms. so there are no pissing contests about the biggest fish, the most etc. check the BS at the parking lot and go fish

seriously, the only thing you have to do to beat your fishing partner is foul hook one trout fry and touch your leader to consider it landed and hope your buddy doesnt. please, tell me where in the BASSMASTERS rule book can you win a competition doing that???? and trying to be cool?? i fish little streams like 10 - 15 ft across with a 7 ft 9 3wt, do you really think that i am going to look or even remotely resemble cool with an 11ft 2 hander i've only played on the grass with??? i went out the other day and was right back at fly fishing 101 untangling knots, whacking myself in the head, whacking my fishing partner in the head, catching grass behind me. do you know how hard it's supposed to be to catch grass behind you when the line isn't supposed to be out of the water and the hook is supposed to be in front of you???? clearly... NOT cool. funny as hell, but so not cool. (Jack, i may not be doing this rod justice but people are sure looking at me, admittedly laughing at the same time, but looking.)

here are the general rules

-Rod length to a max of 10' (pretty little me is exempt, why... because I'm still learning this 2 handed thing and cant "shoot" more than 5 ft of line)

-Bring as many rods as you like

-Fly fishing only

-To count a fish you or your opponent must touch the leader or 9' of line

-Trout only,no size restrictions.Each trout is one point

-Foul hooked fish count (it happens)

-In order to count the fish it must be witnessed or at least a "yup i believe you" so fish close enough to each other.This also encourages people to help land there opponents fish.

-Follow the Forum rule's for posting pictures,also try to keep location out of the shot and ask your opponent if it's OK to post a pic of them or there fish

-General heckling and low holing or poaching your opponents water when there not looking is encourage.lol.

-If you can not make the match or going to be on holidays just PM your opponents and make other arrangements,matches do not have to be on Wednesdays

-It's a good idea to discuss ahead of time when the match is going to end.

-Remember this is for fun.

and as for heavily utilized water... really??? come on. 30km of river from bearspaw to carsland, never mind the other 150km + from banff to the city. this isnt the elbow to elbow Veder here. there are stretches on gorgeous sunny days that are very accessible and there is NO ONE there. then there are the lazy people who fish 10 ft from a road access and because it has (you guesed it ) road access - everyone can see them so it looks like there all 1 million people living in calgary are one the river. i can assure you, they are not. there are more yahoos in float tubes, old tires, dingys and air matresses floating down the Bow than there are guides, drift boats and waders put together.

thank you to those who actually read through and realize that this is a fun event. yes we have Bull Trout (not Dolly Varden) and you missed Goldeye, Sauger, Sturgeon, Lake Trout, whitefish, suckers (they dont really count) and burbot. for the moment that is all i can think of on top of your list. no we dont have the saltwater varitey and we are limited to a few major river systems, ponds and potholls but we do ok

:blahblah:

Hello all, as an owner of FlyBC, I thought I'd chime in.

First of all I should have axed that thread on FlyBC when it started, but seeing as most had little to nothing to say negative about your league I thought I'd leave it.

Second of FlyBC officially has nothing against what you're doing and we hope you guys have a blast!

our carefully worded official policy is:

Derbies are neither condoned or condemned by FlyBC. The forum ownership will not promote or create a derby, and this forum will not be used to condemn a derby hosted by another organization. Users of the forum are reminded that personal attacks , even veiled ones, are not allowed on the forum--debate is encouraged, but the level of debate must be kept civil throughout.

If anyone feels that any of the comments on FlyBC are into the territory of "condemning a derby hosted by another organization" Please let me know at shaggyflies@telus.net and I'll be on it like a fat kid on a Smartie. (No offense to fat kids, I like Smarties too ;) )

Good luck all, and as a member of FFC I look forward to reading all about it and seeing some pictures posted.

If anyone contacts me this afternoon, it'll take a while before I get back to you. I'm closing shop and going fishing!

Cheers,

jon

And the classic explanation by Alastair:

"It's a competitive thing. If you can't beat the fish, you at least want to catch more than the guy next to you. It's kind of like hockey, your team might not win the Stanley Cup every year, but as long as you beat the Leafs you're usually happy."

:rotflmao:

j

Hello All,

I've cleaned up this thread just a little. Please lets get it back on track and stick to the topic at hand.

Also stop feading the fire and I think all will be well.

Thanks

BBT

PS.. We will not tolerated any threats to other board members (even the members that stir the *hit and might like like they need a punch to the head)

“Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done.”

- Charles F. Orvis

I have had the pleasure of fishing the Bow River for over 20 years, I grew up in Kelowna BC so have also fishing the mountain Lakes to the great coastal rivers, at times in these places with wonderful and sometimes famous fishers. There is a pleasure in fishing with companionship that is different than fishing alone. Having spent over 55 years tying flies and chasing trout with my Grandfather, Father and a great many friends, it has filled my soul with joy and given me satisfaction and balance to my life.

I think the fishing League is a wonderful way for a group of people to share a common joy. Through the history of Fly Fishing there have been many other like organizations formed that have gone a long way to bringing the sport and conservation to where it is today. Through respect and sharing. I have had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with many of the members of the League. They are all great people and respect the resource.

There is no one way to enjoy the sport. Whether it be in the joy of solitude with a fly rod or with good company and friends. Have fun and bring joy to yourself and others.