Fly Fusion Forums

Finding Forgotten Water

Brrr.

As winter once again holds us in her frozen grip, it allows me the time to put out another movie.

Forgotten Water is a section of water that i explored for the first time this summer. I went off some old notes and stories from yester year and a found a virtual trout heaven. Anyone with a map and a good set of boots can get in on this one. This movie was a fun one to do cause the water that day was gin clear and the fish were taking easily to the fly. Maple kept the free range herd at bay for us as the cattle in that area can be a little dangerous at times (not joking).... I have stories. Anyway, this spot will bring back some memories for a few of you and for the rest i hoping it may just inspire a new adventure.

Hope you all enjoy,

Finding Forgotten Water

The Humblefisherman

Every once and awhile we get lucky and the conditions are in favor of underwater footage. When the water is so clear like that, the fish can get spooky and almost impossible to catch. These fish didn't seem to care AT ALL on this particular day for some strange reason, maybe lack of pressure.

Thanks for the support everyone!

PS. been getting a few stealth PM's about this location and some others, I love how everyone on this board really do "get it" when it comes to the "location sensitivity" of these area's. You guy's rock!!! If you study some maps, and walk some rivers and creeks, places like this are actually quite common in Alberta. We are so very fortunate to have such an abundance of prime trout habitat so close.

I thought I was pretty good at "hiking to find open water".. then I hear Humble say "6.5km in.. 10.5km to go".

HA! Guess I gotta keep walking! ;)

17 km

That can be done in about 2.5 - 3 hrs and not even sweating, especially with no 70lb pac or weapon, or no one shooting at you..

Excellant vid, as per usual.

17 km

That can be done in about 2.5 - 3 hrs and not even sweating, especially with no 70lb pac or weapon, or no one shooting at you..

Wow thats really moving, my last hike was 23km and my avg moving time was 3.2km/h with a high of 8.1, I think that was when I took a tumble down the bank.

17km one way.... oh, to have young strong legs again (mine I mean!).

If I hiked 17k in to fish, I'd have to build a cabin and live there until I regained my strength to walk out again :) .

Good for you. Great adventure and one you'll remember for years to come.

Adams

i vote for entertainment purposes...if it were me i'd say i hike 20km to get to a spot...that and it would throw off people trying to figure out where the place is...just my opinion :devil:

I thought I was pretty good at "hiking to find open water".. then I hear Humble say "6.5km in.. 10.5km to go".

HA! Guess I gotta keep walking! ;)

17km@ 2.5hrs=6.8km/hr.... 17km@ 3.0hrs=5.6km/hr.... Are we still talkin fishin/exploring/hiking on this thread???...

nope straight walking head down mind in neutral - go - get to destination, then fish.... and take an easy walk out!!!

Once you have done it a couple of hundred times you sort of get used to it..

best time I ever did 10 miles/16km with a 55lb pack and webbing and rifle and EIS, was 1hr 56mins then 100yard firemans carry , and then a full days work on top..

Hmmm that's maybe why my back is SCREWED I wonder?????????

Sorry Guys/Gals the post was a dig/gentle military humour..... maybe just a flashback to the GOODOLDDAYS!!!!!!

Damn it is cold out !!!!

Theres no way we move that fast, haha i'd die... but cory would die first.

A solid pace with 3 hours of fishing and 25km round trip in a 12 full day is about the top end of what we do. This one was about 18km or so round trip, but we also explored a nice trib for a few km's. What i have been doing over the past 10 or so years is walking all our southern rivers and creeks in disected sections start to finish. If i find some nice water Cory comes in to film it at a later date. In a single month through the summer i can average about 200 km of river bottom or 350km of trail. It was fun keeping track of it on my gps until some punks stole my rig along with my fishing back pack that had my GPS in it. Got the truck back a few day's later, but they got my gear... and all my waypoints :eek:

So just to clear things up it was round trip i was refering to in the vid, and the numbers are straight up.

:eek: Sketchy man. I would tweak out if some dirtbag got hold of my gps :boomboom: Good vid, starting to think you need some diversity though. Save pennies for fuel and come fish grayling in N BC next summer.

I agree on the diversity, I'd give my left nut to get to fish the upper reaches of the Amazon basin.

The stuff close to home is what i had to/wanted to focus on first. Lets face it, it's way easier and cheaper, which is good for a troutbums wallet. It's also the water i've been fishing my whole life, so i have a better idea of where the fish are. We have done a pile of day trips and have now covered lots of the good water within 3 hours of Calgary, but not even close to all.

I've been trying to do a film per river, with multiple films for sections on some of bigger rivers like the Bow. Cory has commited to do 100 film with the series, which should take us a few more seasons.

We have some big trips planned for next year, but will continue to focus our attention on the rivers and mountain lakes of the eastern slopes of the rockies, extending down into the US. I think we'll be going down to fish with Trouttrek for reported 8 pound goldens, as well as big greenback cutts next year. Steel on the coast in the sping, and Tiger trout are also on the menu.

I have dream trips like everyone else, but many, if not all of those destinations are finacially out of reach for now.

I love northern B.C., I spent some time up there as a young man, and the beautiful grayling would make a steller film. I'll bring the pennies. Shoot me a PM on a few details and maybe we can put something together.