Fly Fusion Forums

Fishin Rigs!

acurrie

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fishing rig went from a 2000 Hyundai Accent, to a 1999 Saturn SC1, and now I have something far more suited to my lifestyle in a 2006 Ford Escape. I get a decent fuel economy with it (not amazing) and it is still small enough to be fun and easy to drive in the city. The 4WD has also performed well enough for me so far, though I don't do any extreme four by fouring.

Like a few others have suggested, my ultimate fishing vehicle to get into all those hard to get places would probably be one of the older Japanese diesels.

2004 Mazda B2300 and a 2007 Mazda 6.

Regarding the Toyota Hilux, google Top Gear Toyota Hilux. Its a British car show and they take an old hilux and try to destroy it by driving in to trees, walls, dropping it, crushing it, burning it, dunking it in salt water, etc. Unbelievably tough trucks.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

down south of Mexico you can get a chevy S10 QUAD cab 4x4 with a diesel! I would have loved to get a Hilux or a Delica but there are very few parts that are compatible and i dont like the idea of loosing my vehicle for a week waiting for an alternator.

You can also pick up an original series Toyota Land Cruiser down in Central & South America in GREAT condition for a steal!! Getting it back is a whole different challenge, but from what I was told, is totally doable to ship it "reasonably"!

P

down south of Mexico you can get a chevy S10 QUAD cab 4x4 with a diesel! I would have loved to get a Hilux or a Delica but there are very few parts that are compatible and i dont like the idea of loosing my vehicle for a week waiting for an alternator.

Over the years I've owned a number of 4*4's. The first one was a 1948 Willy's Jeep that taught me all I know about mechanics. Drove it for a day - - fixed it for a week.

Then it was a Land Rover 88 -

250px-Landrovers2a.jpg

the toughest truck I've ever seen. Drove it for a number of years but with a top speed of 40 mph due to a long throw 4 cylinder engine, I traded up to a Toyota Hilux 4*4 in 1983. Stayed with Toys over the years. Have a 2007 Tacoma now. The new Tacoma's represent the continuing deterioration of decent 4*4's. Guess the market is now driven by latte drinking/tofu sucking/yogurt eaters.

Need a truck that can wear chains, has locking hubs, shift levers for gears, rubber floor mats, metal for a body/frame/bumpers.

Hope Santa drops a decent truck down my chimney.

catch ya'

Don

I agree with you on many points there Don. Can't get over the cloth floor mats and don't care for the electronic hubs myself. The plastic that encompasses the body doesn't hinder is 4x4 capabilities so much as your truck will look like crap if you do actually off road with it. I can see how chains could pose a problem, I want to get a pair for this winter but never thought of how they'd no doubt chew up the wheel flares.

Over all I'm pretty happy with how the truck is getting me where I need to go. It's light weight and compact size offer advantages over full size trucks IMHO. I'm not fooled into believing this is the Toyota from days past but is still leaps and bounds over your average NA auto.

dube,

I finally got completely disgusted when Consumer Reports called the Honda Ridgeline - truck of the year.

Any idiot who spent 10 seconds looking under the thing would realize that the lowest point is a cross-over exhaust manifold with a square leading front edge. Just the thing to hook a rock either pulling off the exhaust system or to get real ugly, ripping the exhaust manifolds outta the block. Now that would be expensive.

regards,

Don

Taco, I feel your pain. Broke my heart when I had to let go of the Cream Cruiser. When the kiddies come everything changes.

Landcruiser0002.jpg

Before anyone reports me to Herr Monitor, this was a recognized ford. No Cutthroat Trout were injured in the filming of this stream crossing. So please, nobody get your shirt in a knot.

The license plate may also give you a clue when this snap was taken.

I still lie awake at nights dreaming on my little diesel baby.

Here's my rig. Imported from Japan spring of '08. Great mileage, 4x4 is awesome when needed. Love this thing!!

IMGP2930.jpg

Seriously?! I was looking at those before.. looks like a heck of alot of fun right there! Toyota makes one too I think.. (overseas as well).