Fly Fusion Forums

Senior Licensing? (both Threads Closed And Merged)

One thing that I "re-learned" from the guide license meeting is that people (including me) in general like things simple.

And I agree with the principle that the resource is too valuable to use for free. So as stated above, make everyone get a license, therefore everyone gets the limits that go with it.

Make it $10 bucks for kids under 16 and seniors, plus a WIN card. Now everyone gets tracked, everyone has a license.

(Clive, $5 is simply too cheap to help cover admin costs, IMHO, might as well go with $10 or free. Given what the costs are for my nephews to ski, play hockey, and buy video games, $10 is still tantamount to stealing).

Smitty

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all seniors should be licensed before they can be called seniors just on general principles. Kind of like getting a WIN card but call it a SEN card for about $10,000 (plus GST). After that they can do everything for free. For every 5 years of seniordom they get the privilege of renewing their SEN card.

Did someone say cake...seriously , there are people that think they earned the right by living fairly long that they shouldn't have to pay $25 a year to fish? That's like what 9 holes of golf once ( with the seniors discount)? A penny a cast?..Come on, if you lived that long you probably have enough empties lying around to cover the fee. I know I do, and why do I have to wait till I am 65 to get my discounts when golf and curling designate 50 as a senior?... whether it is H1N1, guide licensing, Neil Waugh's curmudgeonly ranting on anyone living south of the Saskatch river, one thing that will never change in Alberta is the sport of bitching about the government and then voting them back in as we have for the last "65" years...the entertainment value of this board continues to rise...stay the course...(btw Wolfie love the scary avatar and the italics...rock on)....

Doctork, this font is for you. I want to stand out too.

I'd like to hear arguments why they shouldn't. The fact they've been paying taxes all their life doesn't cut it for me. They've also been consuming public services all their life too (and leaving the next generation with huge debts). Maybe someone can argue they are usually on fixed incomes and can't afford it, and I buy that argument. However, there are people of all ages that "can't afford it". Someone's gotta give me a more valid reason.

Edit: Vets should get free licenses.

Did someone say cake...seriously , there are people that think they earned the right by living fairly long that they shouldn't have to pay $25 a year to fish?

$25 isn't an issue. The real problems are that your odds of living for a full year are greatly decreased so it's a potential rip off to have to pay for a full year. Another problem is that eventually the gov't takes away your driving license and now you have to pay big taxi cab fees to go everywhere. Top that off with the problem that you probably forget where you placed your license whenever you decide to go fishing to you have to get in a taxi to go to the someplace to buy a license every time you want to go fishing. Get's to be pretty expensive.

While we are on the topic I think that people who move to Canada and qualify as seniors after being here only 2 years should have the privilege of paying megabucks for a SEN card as well.

By the way - this is a Fishing Related chat group isn't it?

Oh...guess you have quite a few years to go before you reach the age of 65...huh..and with the mentality shown, you must figure everyone should pay cause you do...huh..What about ALL the $$$$$ that has been paid by those who have reached the age of 65..or all the $$$$$ that the bleeding government has taken off of them...are you so greedy that you begrudge the "Senior Citizens" some "Pay Back"..........boy now I've heard even more than I care to read..............Wolfie

I don't quite understand your point wolf man?

All of a sudden at 65 years you have paid enough so you should get a free license? I pay a whack of taxes, I woud say more than my 90 year old father in his life, so should I get a free license?

I love the sense of entitlement, it seems to be the canadian way....

No way seniors should be licensed. I'm less than 10 months from the freebie I've waited my whole fishing life for. It's mine and I want it.

Now why in the devil would you pick on Seniors - we can't cast as far, reflexes going, eyesight about gone, hearing is weakening. We can hardly cast let alone fish. And from a personal perspective - I'm left handed [ the world always picks on left-handers], got arthritic knees and hips and I fish with a wooden stick and YOU WANT MAKE ME BUY A LICENSE. Plus - I don't even have a fixed income yet.

What is world coming to!!!

The only thing I got going for me is low life cunning and that's going with the memory of what Wolfie said or meant or......

Don

Hot topic or what? 33 post in less than 12 hours.

A portion of Alberta already has a license system I really like. National Parks.

If you are 16 or older you require a license PERIOD. NO cut rate.

If you are under 16, your catch is included in your parent or guardian limit OR you may purchase your own license to harvest.

I believe this gives us the opportunity to encourage youth to not only fish, but to practice Catch & Release.

I got 5 more years before I will be eligible to receive the FREE license. I just hope that this province care enough about our resources that by then I WILL BE PRIVILEDGED ENOUGH TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY A LICENSE.

Hot topic or not, the fact is that it too often matters little what you pay for an angling license or an elk, deer or moose tag, since the money goes into the black hole known as General Revenue and in times like these your wildlife, fisheries and your enforcement people are unlikely to see much of a change if anything. It is very much the case here in BC with the exception that for each license sold, the BC Habitat Conservation Fund gets some revenue....Most of that money is supposed to be directed toward the hunting and fishing resources in BC. In fact an ever increasing amount of it in recent years has been going into projects that do not do the consumptive users of fish and wildlife much good...and for you catch and release guys, good for you, but you get less benefit as well.

If I were convinced an increase in license fees or new fees were assessed would actually be appropriately made use of for the resources I love then i would not hesitate to toss my money on the table. As it turns out I have to anyway...and I see most such things as yet another hidden tax...akin to the gun registry and the more recent ridiculous boater certifications.

I think we Canadians as a whole tend to fall all over our feet when someone in government sells us with the right twist.

I would be curious to know the % of anglers that don't require a licence be to those that do require one is weather there seniors or under the age of 16 Does anyone know? I know that there has been questionnaire type of polls but I'm sure not everyone has taken part in them what about the free fishing week every year should we get rid of that? or should we as anglers just keep on doing what we do and promoting and teaching ethics and good stewardship's? Ethic's that's what we need more education on!

cheers chuckandducker

BOY...am I going to have a 'ball' with what has been written after my comment..[last post]..

..first off thank you to those that believe by criticizing my form of typing, and my use of the English language, has made a dent in my armored shield, realizing that ppl, not all, mind you, but a few tend to attack under the belt when they are under stress from others..or put in their place by those who can see past whatever holds those others back..

..to that member who left BC because of his distaste for the government 'elected' in BC..now tell the truth ..U left cause Ur 'home grown business' was under surveillance for some time ..I'm joking with you m8, so don't take offense...you left simply because the $$$$ was in Alberta..No longer in BC........a lot of us did..no shame in that, and in my line of work..it also happened..no biggy, But the difference between me and you is also simple...I see that again another form of "Natural Resources", has been "raped" by Corporation, as it was in BC in the beginning...

..I've noticed.. Soooo.. many "Old Timers" of this forum popping up..ppl with real low post counts voicing their opinions..Boy that is so refreshing from reading the crap those youngins seem to write all the time... kOGSp6ggz69ODmv2Fkb831sVN3c0.gif..I'm wondering if it is appropriate to add one of my sayings right now..let's see...Oh ya.."Bullshit Baffles Brains"..that's it..that's the one...and I'm sure those know to whom I'm directing this saying to realizes that what they are doing is just 'child's play'...

..Now to get real serious ...there are very logical points made, from all sides of the fence..and after a lot of head scratching thidee.gif , I believe that having the SCs, pay a minimal amount of $$$$ for something like the Winn card, just to let the fisheries know how many ppl are prepared to fish, and the stoppage of those under age ppl [16] should also pay the piper...again a small amount till they become of age [16]..this may discourage the ppl from taking hoards of fish [maybe not], and ALL fish in both age groups MUST follow the "Catch/Release" method and if found otherwise ..be treated under the governing laws...

..there are very sound points to this on going challenge of wit, and the BC ers who made a statement in regards to where the $$$$ goes, should give you Albertans a "Heads Up"...as well as all the Eastern transits that came to claim their pot of Gold from Alberta...[which you guys did a lousy job out East..Ontario as an example]..but will you...I doubt that, for no matter how much squawking you do...$$$$$ talks everything else Walks...and God knows how much $$$$ means to the population...

..well there you go ppl, and I thought I said ..."Self...this forum has gone to pot..why waste your time trying to enlighten a minority who walks around with blinders on every minute of the day..you know what those blinders look like...yep..dollar bills"..........

..cya till next time.........................Wolfie

FYI to nebc

From the ACA 08-09 annual report:

Financial Highlights

Summarized Financial Statements

In 2008/2009, ACA received $10,344,875 in levy revenue from hunting and angling

licenses purchased by our stakeholders. Our Wildlife, Fisheries, Land Management,

Communications and RAP/Compensation programs had expenditures of

$10,071,842. This means that 97% of the levy value collected went back into the

resource. This number does not include over $500,000 in habitat purchases (Habitat

Securement Fund).

FYI to nebc

From the ACA 08-09 annual report:

Financial Highlights

Summarized Financial Statements

In 2008/2009, ACA received $10,344,875 in levy revenue from hunting and angling

licenses purchased by our stakeholders. Our Wildlife, Fisheries, Land Management,

Communications and RAP/Compensation programs had expenditures of

$10,071,842. This means that 97% of the levy value collected went back into the

resource. This number does not include over $500,000 in habitat purchases (Habitat

Securement Fund).

DF

Now add the 1.75million that would come from a $5.00CND stamp fee to that and have that money go directly to protecting the resource in physical ways, not to pay somebodies wages (unless it is a Stream Watch Officer) or to run a building or a department with PP&S etc.. but be able to see that money as a recovered stream bed, reclaimed Random camping site, cleaned up section of the river.. and yes even more money to secure habitat, work to keep cows from doing what cow will do in a stream or any water source.. etc.... what ever local clubs and groups (TU) can come up with..

Just an thought....

Blah blah blah. So some poor old bald guys with beer guts, bad knees and wooden teeth get to fish without having to buy a license. Who really gives a rat's butt? Kids under 16 get to fish free but rememeber that they have to be accompanied by someone with a license. Hopefully the kids are being shown proper respect. The rest of Canada pays the same price as we do. Nice. The only complaint I have with the Alberta licensing system is that the money goes in to general revenues and some beaurocrats decide if money is better spent on protecting our natural resources or putting white wall tires and a new 8 track in the Stelmach Shaggin Waggon.

The silly system is in BC where we as Albertans have the privilege of paying $20/day/watershed. What we really need to do is to start treating other groups the same way they treat us. You come from BC and want to fish the Bow River? Great! Pony up $20/day at the start of each day and if you want to fish the Bow in the morning and a mountain stream in the afternoon then you should have to finish up on the Bow and then have to drive to downtown Cowtown to the special BC licensing office at the corner of 1 Way Street and No Parking for BCers and plunk down your $20 for the afternoon session.

The other silly thing is that I have to pinch down the barb on my size 24 fly tied to the end of my 2 lb tippet while some yahoo with a Walmart special spinning rod and 50 lb test line gets to use a rapala with those god awful killing machines called treble hooks. Aren't the 2nd and 3rd hooks just another form of barb but with much greater potential to injure and maim?

Okay people - let's quit griping about the seniors who get to fish with out a license on the two or three days of the year that they can actually withstand the local weather and concentrate on stuff that makes sense. Half the time these old farts can't even tie a hook on the line properly anyway.

If ya can't do that then at least peel your posteriors off your couches and go fishing instead of talking about it.

flyfishfairwx...yes, that would be absolutely great. I'd gladly do that. For close to 20 years we have floated the concept of a "East slopes" tag that would do just that. Would be great, eh?

bvader...I sincerely hope you were joking ... [snip catty comment]

Kids under 16 get to fish free but rememeber that they have to be accompanied by someone with a license. False.

The only complaint I have with the Alberta licensing system is that the money goes in to general revenues and False.

Okay people - let's quit griping about the seniors who get to fish with out a license on the two or three days of the year that they can actually withstand the local weather and concentrate on stuff that makes sense. Half the time these old farts can't even tie a hook on the line properly anyway.

HA HA. I ain't 65 yet, but I bet I can tie a fly on faster than you. You just pissed of a few OFs here who have decades of experience and have forgotten more than you will ever know. :P :P

Well I'm sitting here almost 61. Damn, I still got a full head of hair, albeit a little gray (very distinguished looking). My beer belly hanging out so far I can't see my, well you know what!!! I have the shakes so bad it's hard to type, I need bifocals in order to tie on a fly....I probably will need hip and knee replacements in order to walk, arthritis everywhere, the list goes on and on....Getting old sucks!! I deserve to fish for free when I hit 65. But I bow to all the young hot dogs on this board. :wave_smile:

Oh damn I almost forgot :lol::P I can't cast either.

HA HA. I ain't 65 yet, but I bet I can tie a fly on faster than you. You just pissed of a few OFs here who have decades of experience and have forgotten more than you will ever know. :P :P

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the Alzheimer thing. Half these guys don't remember if they even tied the hook on the the line.

First of all I think profanity is probably not allowed on these boards. Secondly, if you guys are only interested in your own opinions then maybe you should start up your own board titled, "I don't really have anything useful or meaningful to say but I like it when people agree with everything I say so don't be posting anything that contradicts me." You could pretend you are talking about general fishing related stuff like "vote for me so I can win a free fishing trip even though you might want to vote for yourself and win a free trip yourself" and "Let's pick on seniors because they don't have to pay for a fishing license." Or you could start up an all fluff board for red necks only and confine this stuff to there and that way you can stop pretending that you are talking about fishing related stuff. Personally I prefer to talk about fishing related stuff on a fishing related board.