Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i found out about lacquers the hard way. if you think its dry...wait another day or 2 the eye on this drooped but it got 2 dips to get that nice coating and as soon as the glue on the eye makes contact with the lacquer it is there to stay.

post-2377-1329361296.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

nice tie ggp, one i plan on tying myself. What hair did you use for the wing? I know the pattern calls for polar bear but from the picture that doesnt look like it.

Mike

nice tie ggp, one i plan on tying myself. What hair did you use for the wing? I know the pattern calls for polar bear but from the picture that doesnt look like it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it is Polar Bear.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Central Alberta Fly tying evening the other night and we did up a woven caddis nymph.... which inspired me to make a woven stonefly nymph, which then inspired me to take that one step further and make a woven dry fly stonefly. I bent the hook about 1/4 of the way from the eye so the woven body actually hangs into the water so it's super low riding but still easily visibly with the moose wing and foam. I had pretty good luck on a similar style (without the woven abdomen) last year and can't wait to hit the banks with this thing in July.

Bottom view:

IMG_0374.jpg

Side View:

IMG_0373.jpg

Cheers.

Thanks guys.

First one took a while to figure out but once I found the right dimensions and tying order, the next couple went a bit faster. Well, "faster" meaning at least sub 30 minutes ^_^

I did a baselayer of antron to help build up the bulk but still allow the fly to float. I need to tie up a couple of salmonflies with some orange/brown and maybe a grasshopper with some yellow/green and make a few smaller ones. Pretty excited to fool some of the crowd that sees 1000 chernobyl ants floating over a day... although I do love a good chernobyl.

Cheers.

Thanks guys.

First one took a while to figure out but once I found the right dimensions and tying order, the next couple went a bit faster. Well, "faster" meaning at least sub 30 minutes ^_^

I did a baselayer of antron to help build up the bulk but still allow the fly to float. I need to tie up a couple of salmonflies with some orange/brown and maybe a grasshopper with some yellow/green and make a few smaller ones. Pretty excited to fool some of the crowd that sees 1000 chernobyl ants floating over a day... although I do love a good chernobyl.

Cheers.

Tip: You can do an under-body of of wrapped foam also for flotation.

Tip: You can do an under-body of of wrapped foam also for flotation.

I've done a few of those also. However, I want something that not only rides low, but hangs down in the water, so the only thing above water is the foam. Kind of a half drown, but still very realistic look.

Cheers.