Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Magazines

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

My wife is interested in getting me a subscription for Christmas. I tie the odd fly but like reading stories (and not advertising stories) about cool trips to places.

Anyone have any great suggestions for magazines. Hopefully it is sold by the kids at school for fundraising etc.

Cheers

Sun

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Fly Fusion magazine as well. In my opinion, it is a first rate magazine with top notch stories,pictures and an excellant fly tieing section as well. My only complaint is it only comes out 4 times a year. The other magazine I subscribe to is The Canadian Fly Fisher. When I first started my subscription, it had stories on alot of the water I fish here in Alberta. Over the years it has tried to pretty much cover all of Canada so there seems to be less stories from around here. It's still a good read though. It also has a small section about fly tying.

Murray

The Drake. It only comes out twice a year, but it's well worth the wait. No product reviews, no recycled casting articles, just lots of well written articles and essays. Here's a sample of one of their articles. After reading it I stopped buying all the other mags because I realized that they were all crap.

The only good thing about Fly Fusion is McLennan's Water Marks. In my opinion.

Fly fusion all the way.

I read it cover to cover the day it shows up at my door. Really well done in my opinion.

On another note..I got a free sub to Canaidan Fly Fisher when I signed up for Trout Unlim. last year. If they are still running that promo what a great deal. Two birds one stone.

Guest Sundancefisher
The Drake...

As far as I am concerned it is the only one out there.

When I first started reading fishing magazines they stories were full of imagery, adventure and play fishing fun.

Now 99% of stories is advertising.

"We went fishing in our Ford F10 pickup towing our Glascon l54 boat outfitted with a Mercury 75 horse 4 stroke engine tuned up with our favorite brand of Quaker State oil. Today we fishied with the Shakespear sale rep for the southern states. We will be picking him up at the Best Western Inn. The best part of our trip is our quality fishing line from Berkley. Gotta love that line with outfitted on our Ugly Stick combined with Shakespears very own XL200 open bait casting reel. In order to really understand our outing I should go into the various lures and who makes them....{four pages later}... The weather was great and using our Garmin we made our way to our favorite fishing hole. After catching some fish we left. The end..."

Please tell me there are better magazines...

I signed up for Fly Fusion at the Fly Fishing show in Jauary. I have nothing to complain about in the quality of the magazine, or the subjects it covers. I tend to gloss over the stuff about fly tying as I don't currently do it, so my interest there is minimal.

I do really enjoy the local content of the magazine. It's comforting to know that I am supporting a local publication and it is also nice to know that a magazine of that quality comes from Calgary.

I've read Canadian Fly Fisher and some other rag my wife bought for me one day. But they didn't really interest me at all.

When I first started reading fishing magazines they stories were full of imagery, adventure and play fishing fun.

None of the "advertising stories" in The Drake. Mostly essays that make you want to fish or remind you why you do.

Northwest fly fishing is my favorite Mag. Always has good locations and all of them (pretty much) are within a 24 hour drive. I also really like Canadian fly fisher, but they only release 4 Mags a year.

Good thing CFF only comes out 4 times a year, they would run out of places to HotSpot...

Could not help it, sorry..

I really like fly fusion as well, they have beautiful photos / layout and great content; however, I wonder sometimes if they proof their articles before going to print. I picked up a few of their issues last year and noticed a considerable amount of typos, punctuation and grammatical errors. Fly Tyer is the magazine that I don't miss an issue of.

"We went fishing in our Ford F10 pickup towing our Glascon l54 boat outfitted with a Mercury 75 horse 4 stroke engine tuned up with our favorite brand of Quaker State oil. Today we fishied with the Shakespear sale rep for the southern states. We will be picking him up at the Best Western Inn. The best part of our trip is our quality fishing line from Berkley. Gotta love that line with outfitted on our Ugly Stick combined with Shakespears very own XL200 open bait casting reel. In order to really understand our outing I should go into the various lures and who makes them....{four pages later}... The weather was great and using our Garmin we made our way to our favorite fishing hole. After catching some fish we left. The end..."

Please tell me there are better magazines...

Did this come from the Drake? My God I hope not - haven't got the newest issue yet but if it is something REALLY changed in the last three months or so...

I'm a magazine addict, but my favs are Fly Fusion, total Fly Fisher (uk), Trout fisherman (UK) and the Drake. I used to get CFF, but the last year or so, I haven't been impressed by it. Seems the photography has suffered or something. The online mags like this is fly and catch are the *hit too.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

flt fusion has NO SUBSTANCE to the articles!!!!! yes the photos are good but i find most of the articles just pussy foot around and dont really say much at all.

fly fishing America is sadly put together better then fusion.

I like "fly tier" because it is put together way better. I fint i learn 5 new thing when i pick that mag up but fly fusion is just packed with words and punctuation.