Fly Fusion Forums

Simm's Opinions

Hi All,

I need new wading boots. I'm going through a pair of yer garden variety Hodgman's in a season and a half or less. I know Simm's has a great reputation so I figure it's time to buck up and get something that's going to last awhile. I haven't decided between the G4 or the Rivershed, but for sure the Vibram sole. Does anyone have any comments or experience with either? Is the G4's worth the extra bucks? After surfing around I think Country Pleasures has the best price and delivery option for me here in the far north. Let's hear it! Thanks.

Beeker

I have the Rivershed and have been using them for a couple of months. I absolutely love them. They are very comfortable and do well in the water and especially on the wet banks. One of the things I like most about them is they almost feel new everytime I put them on because they do not shrink once they dry. I don't have anything to compare them to as before I had glued felt to a $30 pair of boots from Wallymart. I don't have to tell you how good those felt after a few hours of walking.

Rivershed is money well spent in my opinion.

Depends on the no# of days you put on in average per year. 100+days expect a year to two years before they need new felts or replacement , 10-20 days =5 to 10 years. I value comfort and weight and its hard to go wrong with the Simms Headwaters Streamtred or the Patagonia Riverwalker stickys. I go through a pair every year and a bit and also have Simms G3 Guides which I may never wear out but they weigh a ton so I usually find myself grabbing the lightweights unless I plan to extreme wade. Keep in mind felts are being phased out to the more enviro friendly stickys. Corkers are another brand which offer interchangable soles for more options I have not tried them but know guys who use them and like them. Take your waders with to try them on and good luck with your purchase.

Simms would have to do something horrible to lose me as a customer. I haven't had any issues with boots holding up (I'm well over 200lbs and probably fish 80+ days per year), but the felts do wear out long before the boots. Next pair will be Vibram.

I have a pair of the L2's that I picked up on clearance from last years stock and love them. Much better fit and easier to get on and off than my old Hodgeman's. Of course, I did get the Hogdeman's in the wrong size......

You'd be hard pressed to get me to buy a different brand of boot.

I've got an old pair of simms that treated me well. Laces went after about two weeks, and soles after about 100 days. However, boot itself is still in decent shape. Only challenge (as with most wading boots) is that I have to wet them well first to get them on. Once they're wet, no problemo.

G4 boots hands down. Easy to get on and off and the speed lacing system is the best I've seen. Very comfortable to hike long distances in as well, especially with the Vibram soles. I wear Zamberlan boots for hiking, so that's what I'm comparing against.

I bought a pair of the freestone's this spring, and a pair of Vibvrams boots. Wow is all i can say about the boots, they are so comfortable and light, you could easily wear them all day and not have sore legs or back, lots of support and the grip is pretty decent. The boots are one of the bests one i have had to date. :goldenstar::goldenstar::goldenstar::goldenstar::goldenstar:

Simms sells some great stuff, their warranties(which the consumer also pays for) are excellent. However, for real versatility in soles for the different conditions one has to contend with as a "serious" wader, why wouldn't you consider Korkers? Why get stuck with just one sole? Their "Boa" lacing system makes all others a joke. And six different soles that are available?

I just think their fit, flexibility and sole adaptation is far superior to anything I've had in 20+ years. Certainly haven't needed anything else in the past 3 years.

j

I agree with Jack...the Korker guides are simply an awesome boot. Lightweight, quick to take on and off, don't shrink when dry - and, best of all, you can get cleated soles for scrambling around on the ice in the winter time.

I wear Simms G3 waders, I own three of their jackets, one of their vests, their gloves, etc - but when it comes to boots, the Korkers win hands down.

Jack,

Though I have never owned a pair of Korkers, the one criticism that seems to come up often with their interchangable sole, is that it doesn't stay in place and seems to always be popping out (I've seen it many times)! I know there has been previous discussions on this topic, but I guess to each to his or her own...

P

P.S. I currently wear the Patagonia Riverwalker (studded) boot and a crappy pair of Hodgman for when I'm in a boat, my next pair is going to be a rubber sole whether Pati or Simms!

Simms sells some great stuff, their warranties(which the consumer also pays for) are excellent. However, for real versatility in soles for the different conditions one has to contend with as a "serious" wader, why wouldn't you consider Korkers? Why get stuck with just one sole? Their "Boa" lacing system makes all others a joke. And six different soles that are available?

I just think their fit, flexibility and sole adaptation is far superior to anything I've had in 20+ years. Certainly haven't needed anything else in the past 3 years.

j

I'm confused how him asking between 2 different styles of simms boots, became an advertisement for korkers. odd.

It comes down to brand loyalty. People will push what they like to use. Same reason you'll find threads where people ask about a Sage rod vs. a Winston and get a bunch of replies about TFO rods.

I have owned a numer of diferent boots, Got the G4's this year, wore them steady for 4 days, hiking and wading. Very comfortable, lots of support, lots of grip walking up grassy slopes or moss coverd rocks.

If you can afford them, get them.

it is like a fly rod, good rods cast well, good boots feel good.

At the end of the day, I don't wish to strugle to take my boots off, or to feel real good to have them off. With these simms, I'll leave them on and drive home. They feel that comfortable.

It is like there vests, they fit well, and do not give me sore spots, from rubbing. The only complaint I have is I carry to much in all those 22 pockets.

I have never regretted buying Simms

I've got a couple pairs of Simms (one pair for use with waders, one a bit smaller for wet wading). They are both excellent. The felts did wear out last year on one pair but I had new ones put on at a shop in Kensington (Alpine Shoe Service) and they are good as new. I can't say enough about the quality of the work they did at the shop, they even built the sole back up where I had worn it down after going through the felt.

I digress...get the simms, you won't be dissapointed.

Jack,

Though I have never owned a pair of Korkers, the one criticism that seems to come up often with their interchangable sole, is that it doesn't stay in place and seems to always be popping out (I've seen it many times)! I know there has been previous discussions on this topic, but I guess to each to his or her own...

P

P.S. I currently wear the Patagonia Riverwalker (studded) boot and a crappy pair of Hodgman for when I'm in a boat, my next pair is going to be a rubber sole whether Pati or Simms!

At risk of keeping the debate going... I have the Korker Guides and I have never had this problem. I find that as long as you take the time to put the soles in all the way (which takes a little elbow grease) then they aren't going anywhere. I do like the versatility of being able to change soles, but I will say that I am lazy and I rarely do it. For me, that is an over rated feature. But as far as I am concerned the boa laces are the only way to go. I'm sure it will not be long before Simms and others follow suit. Never breaking or stripping a wet lace or having them come undone is priceless.

I have the Korkers as well. I've got about 40 days on them and haven't had a problem with the soles.

They're comfortable, easy on/off, light, and the only part showing wear is the felts.

:Hi jack: Rusty - check your PM's

BK

At risk of keeping the debate going... I have the Korker Guides and I have never had this problem. I find that as long as you take the time to put the soles in all the way (which takes a little elbow grease) then they aren't going anywhere. I do like the versatility of being able to change soles, but I will say that I am lazy and I rarely do it. For me, that is an over rated feature. But as far as I am concerned the boa laces are the only way to go. I'm sure it will not be long before Simms and others follow suit. Never breaking or stripping a wet lace or having them come undone is priceless.

I've never had my boot laces come undone - I just tie them up and tuck them under my gravel guards so they don't snag on anything. If I break a lace I just pull out the extra pair I keep in my backpack and I'm ready to go in less than 5 minutes. If you break your Boa (I've seen it happen more than once) good luck fixing them stream side. Sometimes low tech is a good thing.

My boa's have issues being stuck at the end of the day, not allowing me to undo them and having to wear them home. Now the latest flaw is that they keep popping open when I'm walking. Sticking with laces next time around for sure..

I've never had my boot laces come undone - I just tie them up and tuck them under my gravel guards so they don't snag on anything. If I break a lace I just pull out the extra pair I keep in my backpack and I'm ready to go in less than 5 minutes. If you break your Boa (I've seen it happen more than once) good luck fixing them stream side. Sometimes low tech is a good thing.

<Plug> Yeah the Hammel's (Gary and Donna) do great work - I went to Jr. High/HS with their son! Very repsected in the climbing community with resoling hiking boots and climbing shoes, as well!! <Plug>

P

I've got a couple pairs of Simms (one pair for use with waders, one a bit smaller for wet wading). They are both excellent. The felts did wear out last year on one pair but I had new ones put on at a shop in Kensington (Alpine Shoe Service) and they are good as new. I can't say enough about the quality of the work they did at the shop, they even built the sole back up where I had worn it down after going through the felt.

I digress...get the simms, you won't be dissapointed.

I'm confused how him asking between 2 different styles of simms boots, became an advertisement for korkers. odd.

WOW! Sorry to confuse anyone with an alternative question. Maybe my point wasn't clear(or generic enough).

Why would one have to consider two or three different boots, all with different types of soles, when there are boots with interchangeable soles out there" ? Does that help reduce the "advertisement factor" ?

By the way, I found that after one sole came loose on me, I am more particular about cleaning any mud/gravel/sand out of the perimeter groove before I insert the sole.

I don't think "brand loyalty" comes into anything as far as I'm concerned. "Names" are a pet issue with me. Name marketing is just so much BS, but as we know, a "name", with enough effective marketing can sell a tremendous amount of crap. Lots of people will buy "a name". But, that a different topic, huh?

j

I agree! Quality and fit are most important (or should be ;) )!!

P

WOW! Sorry to confuse anyone with an alternative question. Maybe my point wasn't clear(or generic enough).

Why would one have to consider two or three different boots, all with different types of soles, when there are boots with interchangeable soles out there" ? Does that help reduce the "advertisement factor" ?

By the way, I found that after one sole came loose on me, I am more particular about cleaning any mud/gravel/sand out of the perimeter groove before I insert the sole.

I don't think "brand loyalty" comes into anything as far as I'm concerned. "Names" are a pet issue with me. Name marketing is just so much BS, but as we know, a "name", with enough effective marketing can sell a tremendous amount of crap. Lots of people will buy "a name". But, that a different topic, huh?

j

Din, if you're having issues with your Korkers, you should look into returning them. That doesn't sound normal and I believe they have a pretty good warranty. As for the soles coming undone on their own, that is often from guys using one foot to push down on the heel of their other foot to take off their boot. This compromises the interchangable sole system and thus sometimes creates an issue. As for the Korker Guide lacing system, again, I think you can get replacement laces and dials for them pretty cheap.