Fly Fusion Forums

Spey

Glenbow

I finally took the plunge & bought myself a Spey rig. After a long time on the forum & meeting a lot of folks from here, I began to wonder about these "Spey guys" & why they loved this method so much. I decided that with such respected fellows on here like Toolman & Silver Doctor extolling such virtue for this style of fishing, I knew I had to give it a try.

I went out today for an introductory Spey lesson with Toolman. I was completely blown away. I can't tell you how cool Spey feels - It opens up my fishing envelope so much, and is a unique form of grace that is totally different from the single-handed grace of fly fishing that so many people, including me, think about. Today was a real eye-opener for me, and I really appreciate the time that Toolman took to spend with me. I realized today that I now have about 100% more water available to me to fish, with absolutely no downside. For example, today for the first time in my life I laid out about 85' of line with no back cast. No problem. This is such a unique form of fishing with (IMHO) every bit as much grace & finesse as single handed casting that I can hardly believe it.

I knew that when guys like Toolman & Silver Doctor (& others) were so into this that there had to be something to it. I had to find out. Boy, am I ever glad I did. I already know MANY pieces of water that I always longed to fish & couldn't cast there single handed, that are now open to me. Even left handed (I'm a righty). So, in 1 lesson, I've cast almost 90' repeatedly (remember, no back-cast & 1 rod motion), upstream, downstream, right & left handed. I now know what I've been missing, & I highly recommend this style of fishing to anyone who may be interested. My rig only cost about $400 (rod, reel, line, backing) & it has opened up a whole new world. I feel like Jean-Luc Friggin' Picard. I am eagerly going to practice what I've learned & can't wait for my next session to learn more techniques. If any of you are thinking that you might like to give this Spey thing a try, feel free to PM me - I'd be only too happy to tell you more about my experience. I encourage any of you who are sitting on the fence (like I was) to at least give this a try - I know you won't regret it.

Here's to catching more fish! :D

(Thanks again Toolman)

I'm excited to hear about spey rods on the Bow. When I took up 2 handed casting a few years ago I immediately thought "wow wish I could do this when I lived in Calgary". Now that I'm moving back (2 days) I'm looking forward to swinging some flies with the 2 hander. I'm also trying to set up a Pro Staffing gig with a couple suppliers that specialize in 2 handed rods and blanks, which will hopefully lead to another spey get together on the Bow (this fall or next spring depending on how things work out). if anyone wants to get together and cast a big stick drop me an e-mail or PM.

Cheers

Colin

I finally took the plunge & bought myself a Spey rig. After a long time on the forum & meeting a lot of folks from here, I began to wonder about these "Spey guys" & why they loved this method so much. I decided that with such respected fellows on here like Toolman & Silver Doctor extolling such virtue for this style of fishing, I knew I had to give it a try.

I went out today for an introductory Spey lesson with Toolman. I was completely blown away. I can't tell you how cool Spey feels - It opens up my fishing envelope so much, and is a unique form of grace that is totally different from the single-handed grace of fly fishing that so many people, including me, think about. Today was a real eye-opener for me, and I really appreciate the time that Toolman took to spend with me. I realized today that I now have about 100% more water available to me to fish, with absolutely no downside. For example, today for the first time in my life I laid out about 85' of line with no back cast. No problem. This is such a unique form of fishing with (IMHO) every bit as much grace & finesse as single handed casting that I can hardly believe it.

I knew that when guys like Toolman & Silver Doctor (& others) were so into this that there had to be something to it. I had to find out. Boy, am I ever glad I did. I already know MANY pieces of water that I always longed to fish & couldn't cast there single handed, that are now open to me. Even left handed (I'm a righty). So, in 1 lesson, I've cast almost 90' repeatedly (remember, no back-cast & 1 rod motion), upstream, downstream, right & left handed. I now know what I've been missing, & I highly recommend this style of fishing to anyone who may be interested. My rig only cost about $400 (rod, reel, line, backing) & it has opened up a whole new world. I feel like Jean-Luc Friggin' Picard. I am eagerly going to practice what I've learned & can't wait for my next session to learn more techniques. If any of you are thinking that you might like to give this Spey thing a try, feel free to PM me - I'd be only too happy to tell you more about my experience. I encourage any of you who are sitting on the fence (like I was) to at least give this a try - I know you won't regret it.

(Thanks again Toolman)

here's a nice vid on spey casting.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzaQbRcSn8&...ted&search=

greetz

zuggbugg

Thanks zuggbugg...A good hour of watching some beautifull casting. Love the Speygirl vids. She is so gracefull waving her magic wand...awesome and inspiring vids.

We had a great afternoon working on the swing, Glenbow. You had it working for you on your first day.

Congrats and welcome to the magical casting world of Spey...

I'm lovin' it.

Awww crap...I can see the hole in my wallet already! :(

LOL...exactly! Today, after casting his new rig, I let Glen try my new TFO Deercreek rod...You know what he was thinking after his first cast...I NEED one of these rods too!

A real fine Spey caster here in Calgary that I enjoy watching is DanJ, who is a member here at FFC...smokin' Spey caster and FFF certified single hander instructor as well.

CDone, I look forward to meeting you and getting out on the Bow together when you are settled in.

Greg

Hi Guy's,

I will be in Calgary doing a speycasting school in September, if anybody wants to join in , please send me a PM, i will be in Calgary for four days which will include a weekend.

I will be also bringing over some of the Spey wading staff's the same as Silver Doctor now has, as well as the latest Spey stuff from the UK

Thanks Gordon.

Hi Guy's,

I will be in Calgary doing a speycasting school in September, if anybody wants to join in , please send me a PM, i will be in Calgary for four days which will include a weekend.

I will be also bringing over some of the Spey wading staff's the same as Silver Doctor now has, as well as the latest Spey stuff from the UK

Thanks Gordon.

Hey Gordon, I was talking with Courtney O the other day but he wasn't sure of anything coming up, if you've got something arranged thats great, I can see about getting some Snowbee and Beulah rods lined up for it if you're interested as I think Courtney's doing something in Ontario at that time.

If you cruise around on the You-Tube link above theres a really nice slide presentation put together from Gordon's last get together on the Fraser River.

Colin

Hi Gordon,

Look forward to your return to Calgary. Drop me a pm. with the arrival times and I'll meet you at the hangar.

If anyone is interested in attending Gordons Spey School, I would advise signing up asap, while there is the opportunity to enroll.

Gordie is a master of the "Single Spey" and Alexander Grant switch cast techniques and also a professional ghillie(Guide), on the River Spey, in Scotland.

Hi Guy's,

I will post the dates as soon as i can, just sorting out my flights, will be good to catch up Toolman, can do a school for six and only six per day, but hope to have a few days available including the weekend.

I can only take a few of the Sharpe's Spey Staff's with me because of the weight,( the airlines are starting to catch up with me.)

Glenbow, the full day will cost $120.00 per person, as soon as my flights are booked i will let anybody that is interested know the exact date.

Because of the weight of the Sharpe's Spey wading Staff, i can only take five or six, the cost is around $100.00 each, i think the airlines are on to me, as they only allow 20kgs, and i arrived with 43kgs last time in Calgary.

Will post the dates as soon as i can get away from the Spey.

Thanks Guy's

Gordon.

P.S i will bring some nice Speyside whisky, hopefully after the day, we can go for a drink or two, and chew the fat about fishin.

Hi Guy's,

I will post the dates as soon as i can, just sorting out my flights, will be good to catch up Toolman, can do a school for six and only six per day, but hope to have a few days available including the weekend.

I can only take a few of the Sharpe's Spey Staff's with me because of the weight,( the airlines are starting to catch up with me.)

Glenbow, the full day will cost $120.00 per person, as soon as my flights are booked i will let anybody that is interested know the exact date.

Because of the weight of the Sharpe's Spey wading Staff, i can only take five or six, the cost is around $100.00 each, i think the airlines are on to me, as they only allow 20kgs, and i arrived with 43kgs last time in Calgary.

Will post the dates as soon as i can get away from the Spey.

Thanks Guy's

Gordon.

P.S i will bring some nice Speyside whisky, hopefully after the day, we can go for a drink or two, and chew the fat about fishin.

Speyside whisky, now you're talking. I've just been getting into this Scotch thing and it's getting scary...sort of like starting to flyfish again. Good thing the wife thinks that a good bottle of scotch is only $20-$30. Just like my fly rods are only around $100 :)

Right now, my favourite scotch is a Speyside, Macallan 12yr. Tried a few others and they're OK too (Glenlivet and Glenfiddich). Next on the list may be a Longmorn 15. How is it? How about ditching some of those staffs and replacing it with some scotch ;)

(Thanks again Toolman)

Welcome to the bow river Spey casting fraternity. Give me a shout some times and we'll do some swinging. Glad to see we now have a Spey area.

I don’t recommend products or services that I don’t strongly believe in. I would not hesitate to recommend Godon’s course. There are a number of reasons you may want to book for this great session.

You have a Spey rod and want to learn the style.

You have a fly rod want to learn the style.

You want to experience a true Spey master at work, see classic top notch gear and have a great time.

Are curious about this classic and beautiful way of casting.

Think ol doc might be right.

The first Bow river session sold out extremely quickly by not only locals but people out of the Calgary area. Seeing the interest expressed on the forum I would imagine this one WILL l be the same.

I am in for the course.

I am also stoked that I have the first post EVER in this new section of the Forum!!!! Woohoooo.

For those who are still unsure, trust me, you won't regret at least trying it. I also made a point of mentioning in my post the total cost of my rig, which is not a ton of $$. At least give it a try with either Toolman, Silver Doc or myself who I'm sure would take the time to demo the technique & let you try it out to see if you'd like it. Remember I only have had 1 demo day so I'm no pro & will not be for a long time, but at least you get the idea.

So, am I understanding you correctly in that you are enjoying this spey casting thing? You were a bit ambiguous in stating your feelings in the above post. By the way, I found the Jean-Luc reference fairly arcane. But while were on the subject, can I be Number 1? ;)

In all seriousness, I love reading posts when the excitement shines through. Have fun with it Glen!

Ahhhh Glen........ bastard lol.......... Its been a while now that I have been thinking about going to a really long rod...... I have been wrestling with this new expense in my head but it is evident to me now that there is noway I can put it off much longer......mainly I might add due to your excitement so I guess that means KD and water for another few months. (no change really)........

Anyhow congrats on the new art Glen can't wait to see ya toss an 85 foot cast. Especially since I know some Big bulls and browns that live at the end of some of those 80 footers.......

Toolman just a quick question is one better to go with like a 5/6 trout spey or say a 7/8 spey rod.... I will be fishing upstream and accross a lot and fishing heavy heavy streamers. I am thinking both would be great but the 7or 8 wt would toss the heavy stuff a bit better? Just wondering if you or any of the other guys have an insight on that?

Lonefisher,

The type of line you use is probably more important than the size of the rod. A traditional long belly Spey line in any line wt., will turn over a short sink tip with a decent size streamer. However, if you want to turn over big weight such as sink tips and big flys, then a Skaggit line may be a better choice, as the head is only half as long as a traditional Spey line, but it is as heavy or even heavier. These short, large diameter lines will turn over the largest of fly's with sink tips and can be cast in big winds with relative ease. The rod design most effective for casting this type of line is not to long and a progressive action which loads the rod right down to the cork. I would recommend the new TFO DeerCreek series Spey rods. A very nice rod for the buck. My 12'6", 5-6wt. can cast 80'-85' with ease and is suitable for traditional Long belly lines or Skaggit heads. If you want to cast further, a bigger /rod line wt. such as the 13', 7-8wt. will add another rod length or so to the cast, allowing you to hit about 100', even in a big wind. The Deercreek series is available at Fish Tales fly shop in Calgary.