Fly Fusion Forums

Spey

Glenbow

Hey TM - The left hand cast is finally starting to come together (finally fishing both banks effectively, which is nice.)

I am finding I have to shorten up quite a bit with clousers or streamers on my 5/6 wt to get em over (although I still haven't fully figured out how and when to use the compensator line segment properly yet) for smaller stuff like nymphs and wets, well the set up is nothing short of awesome. I will be picking up a 7/8 wt, or heavier for pike fishing without a doubt. As for the dry-fly stuff, I am able to leave the float tube at home on a few lakes where the tube was mandatory with my 9' - of course now the limiting factor is my sight, not my cast LOL - I am liking the 11'6" length for overhead casting, doesn't feel so much like am trying to swing a telephone pole as it did with the longer rods.

You may as well sign me up for Gordon's class again - I felt a little unprepared last time and now I've got some basics down I could really use the expert advice.

LF - FYI, as you look at the options, if you go with a Rio line, the 7/8 comes with two more tips than the 5/6 in the multitip wincutter.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new Spey rod, Pipestone. The tip compensator is used when fishing without the sinking tips, to keep a constant head weight to load the rod properly and stay in the rods casting window. When fishing the heavier sink tips, the compensator section is removed, so the head weight remains constant. The reason you are needing to pull some of the head back inside the rod tip when casting big streamers, is that the rod has surpassed it's maximum grain window and when you pull some line back in, it brings the load back down to what your rod is able to cast.

My new Spey rod has a nice wide casting window of 350-550 grains. I use an Airflow Delta Spey line, that has a 450 gr. head, so that I can add up to another 100 grains of sink tips and streamers and still be within the casting window for this rod. I can also fish with less than the complete 55' head out of the rod tip, for close up stuff and still load the rod properly to have control on the cast. Let me know when you are in town next time and we will go swing a few flys for an hour or two.

Greg

Ahhh OK that explains alot ! I've got that Hanson specs written down at home I'll take a look but it seems clear I should try the compensator with the floater and clear tips - thanks TM - I'll pm you next time I'll be in town, thanks for the offer - ditto if your up this way

Hi Guy's,

I will be in Calgary doing a speycasting school in September, if anybody wants to join in , please send me a PM, i will be in Calgary for four days which will include a weekend.

I will be also bringing over some of the Spey wading staff's the same as Silver Doctor now has, as well as the latest Spey stuff from the UK

Thanks Gordon.

Gordon,

I tried to PM you but couldn't get it right. I would really like to attend your Speycasting School in September and in the meantime maybe I will run into Toolman, Silver Doctor or Glenbow to pick up a few pointers.

I am looking forward to seeing you in September and the Spey Gear you will bring with you,

Dick Seymour....aka Bowbiker

Hi Bowbiker,

Sounds good to me, i will be sorting out my flights very shortly, so should be able to give a date for the Speycasting School soon, i have to go do a spey school on Vancouver Island, and one on the Fraser at Chilliwack, but Calgary first

Will get the dates sorted this week, and hope to see you when i get there.

Just waiting on some new reels that have'nt even gone on sale in stores yet, will have around 15 new reels with spare spools, Trout and Salmon, got to give them a good test on the Spey next week.

Speak to you soon.

Gordon.