Fly Fusion Forums

May Pics

Ayr

Hey Guys/Gals,

Well, May is in the books; here are a few pics from last month. Hope you all got out a time, or two, or.....and enjoyed some fishing!

Wab0522010.jpg

Wab0522012.jpg

HEEEELP!

Wab0522008.jpg

Wab0522003.jpg

Wab0522011.jpg

DSC06173.jpg

ColdLake0530012.jpg

ColdLake0530009.jpg

June is lining up to be gooder!! Should be fun!

Ayr.

So, I guess the grabbing-the-gillplate method works for lake trout, too. In that case it would probably work on brown trout or even our native bullies! ;)

Sorry, just had to say something if no one else would! LOL!

FO learn about safe fish handling instead of runnin your cakehole, this subject is really startin to piss me off

FO learn about safe fish handling instead of runnin your cakehole, this subject is really startin to piss me off

Take it easy, Taco. I don't think it's cool to be telling people you don't know to "FO" on a public forum or anywhere else for that matter. Please use some manners. Feel free to tell me to "FO" in a pm in the future and I can reevaluate any posting which may have offended anyone.

Sorry to the original poster. I think it's a great feat to catch lakers on a fly rod. Good job! I've never done it.

I just don't like seeing people's finger in trout or char gills. That's my opinion and I think I'm free to share it. I added the wink to show I was being light-hearted. The fish don't appear to be harmed I just had to say something after seeing the discussion in another thread.

"Double standards," etc.

Peace.

Don't worry, I once told an ex PM to "GET THE F**K OUTTA THE WAY YOU STUPID PRICK" so tellin' you to FO is no biggy. I have tendency to say whats on my mind irregardless of location and the bullshit picture rule around here irritates me somewhat.

I disagree, there is absolutely nothing wrong and or harmful with gilling any big fish (10 plus lbs) to control them, when done properly

Edited Post.

Wasn't exactly "constructive."

Sorry, Ayr. Watch those fingies!

Current, the edited post isn't much better than the original. Light hearted or not you were not there and you are making an assumption about it. That is too bad because it detracts from the original post. I was the man behind the camera for the pics so I have an accurate idea how things went. You are entitled to your opinion and you have shared it. <--poke--<

Ayr, hope the reminder of the season continues with the same kind of success. Those trout are in trouble in trips to come ;)

Current, the edited post isn't much better than the original. Light hearted or not you were not there and you are making an assumption about it. That is too bad because it detracts from the original post. I was the man behind the camera for the pics so I have an accurate idea how things went. You are entitled to your opinion and you have shared it. <--poke--<

Ayr, hope the reminder of the season continues with the same kind of success. Those trout are in trouble in trips to come ;)

Ok. All I'm trying to get at is that if you are going to lift a fish by the gillplates you better be extra careful not to touch the gills that are layered underneath. Also you better keep two hands on it at all times while your partner lays your rod across your shoulders and shoots a pic before release unless, of course, the fish is headed for the bbq. I really don't see what's wrong with saying this.

My criticism is not so much for you guys but for any inexperienced fishers who may think that this is the best way to hold a trout. I have had to correct friends who are beginner fishermen from doing this (or lipping a 10" cuttie, etc.) If you say the gills were not touched and these fish were not lifted vertically by the gillplate, I believe you. It's just the whole "public forum" thing where the next thing you know people without experience are lifting all the biggest fish in the river this way.

But mostly, in my original post, I just found it funny that nobody else said or did anything about the fingers under the gillplates in the photos. The very first rule listed on this site about posting images reads:

"When posting pictures of fish please do not post any images that show fish being handled in the following ways if practicing catch and release.

- fingers under gill plates or lifting fish by the gills (it can harm the gills and stress out the Fish)"

I believed that if the fish were bow river browns or large bull trout things would have been different.

I'll try to keep my tongue-in-cheek comments to myself in the future. I have better things to do than waste time going back and forth like this.