Fly Fusion Forums

Newly Unemployed - Looking For Work

Hey all,

As of today i'm unemployed. Pretty stressed right now.

If you know of any IT jobs - senior desktop support -> junior/intermediate network & server administration type stuff.. I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Ryan: Apply at all the colleges/universities/SAIT. Should be the same as here in BC. They are changing out systems right now and are always crying for IT people. My "much better half" is the administrator of Thompson Rivers U. campus, here in Bill's Puddle, and they and the main campus in Kamloops are always short people.

j

Sorry to hear dude. We pretty much have a hiring freeze on here but one of the old bosses from my consulting days is always looking for desktop guys if your ok with working downtown. Shoot me your resume - nospam@westjet.com

tough times birchy, I am IT as well and keep hiding on Tuesdays around here...seriously here are some of the boards that I frequent...and obviously monster and workopolis, also if you can go contracting there might be more there, less stable, less benefits, better salary... chin up, it will turn around...

http://www.aplin.com/calgary-job-search/

http://www.finney-taylor.com/JobSearch.aspx?City=Calgary

http://www.sisystems.com/index.cfm?mg=cpo.viewopps

www.calgaryitjobs.com

Sorry to hear man....Not to sure what Im guna do here in the next while my-self....I have sent resume's all over the world....You will find somethin, Im sure...Your Up to date....I'm a damn oilfield worker....lol...

Cheers...Jeff..

Birchy,

Same thing happened to me back in Feb, and I said No more IT. Been in that industry over 11 years and I got tired of making other people rich. I had gotten my Mortgage agent liscence back last March in 2008, now I am working full time as a mortgage agent. Times have been very busy for me since I started in the Realestate industry.

Sounds like you got a lot of IT Experience, Go contract right now, many of my IT friends have done this and are doing very well. The work is still there, Employers are just using the economy as an excuse not to give raises, and cut back on benifits and perks. Call your ex employer back and tell them you will go contract if you left on good terms. I bet you will make more money then before. I have seen that happen all to often, and I have personally done that.

Lots of IT jobs/contracts out there.

Black Ant

Sorry to hear Birchy. Eventhough, IT job market is shrinking and moving towards offshore, I think you are in the right segment of IT (considering the effect of depression). Desktop support, maintenance, and AM jobs are still there, because business critical applications and networks are still needed to be run (vs almost complete stop of investment and thus IT development projects.)

Indeed, it was interesting to read all the opinions regarding the IT job market, so just keep them coming. Good luck, Birchy.

Good time for anyone out of work and on EI benefits to reconsider going back to school (if you dont already have some form of a degree). I know this might not apply to you Birchy, but I thought this thread would be a good place to put this. I am on the last stages of being approved for two years FULLY FUNDED to go back to school. Gonna take two years criminal justice - policing. So in a couple years all you mo'fos that don't use siginal lights better watch your back I'll be coming for ya! :lol:

Maybe you will land a job working highway 22 for the Sheriffs office. Wouldn't that be nice.

geez I could probably pay the budget for all of AB for each fiscal year if I started writing speeding tickets about 50km south of longview eh?

Sorry to hear that Birchy....I'm still waiting for my notice - expect it to come this week. I'm almost looking forward to it (should watch what I wish for) as the stress at work right now is more than if I was unemployed and collecting EI. Let me know if you've flushed anything out yet.....our company outsources IT to a group that I've worked with for over 5 years and they may be looking for someone. I'd have to make a call and see though...but more than happy to do it if you're still looking.

Good time for anyone out of work and on EI benefits to reconsider going back to school (if you dont already have some form of a degree). I know this might not apply to you Birchy, but I thought this thread would be a good place to put this. I am on the last stages of being approved for two years FULLY FUNDED to go back to school. Gonna take two years criminal justice - policing. So in a couple years all you mo'fos that don't use siginal lights better watch your back I'll be coming for ya! :lol:

This is interesting to me. I'm halfway to my Human Resources degree....what do you mean by "fully funded" and where can I find out more info? BTW...anyone know how EI works these days?

Lynn,

Just a suggestion/advise... Always get the name of the person you are talking with over the phone (first and last, if possible) and if you can, document every conversation (or get it in writing on their end)... It will lessen the headaches!

P

P

This is interesting to me. I'm halfway to my Human Resources degree....what do you mean by "fully funded" and where can I find out more info? BTW...anyone know how EI works these days?

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Still haven't found anything.. getting pretty desperate. I really don't have any NEED to stay in the IT industry other than the pay. If I can find something else that pays the bills, i'm willing to do it.

Please keep an eye open for me peeps!

Bump.

Still haven't found anything.. getting pretty desperate. I really don't have any NEED to stay in the IT industry other than the pay. If I can find something else that pays the bills, i'm willing to do it.

Please keep an eye open for me peeps!

Birchy - contact Techworks if you haven't - 403 266 2437. Talk to Ron or Rick and let them know I gave you their number. I know they are always on the lookout for good techs - and they're an awesome firm to work for. I've hired them as my IT provider for the last 2 companies I worked for and they are top notch. Good luck.