Fly Fusion Forums

May Long Weekend Stories

anyone encounter any jerks this weekend?

i worked this weekend but took wednesday thursday off instead. when i arrived at the rec site i was going to camp at, it was FULL. i've never seen it full before. it was full but there was not a soul around. people had driven their trailers there and dropped them off so they would have a spot friday night. jerks. i turned around and went home.

i worked this weekend but took wednesday thursday off instead. when i arrived at the rec site i was going to camp at, it was FULL. i've never seen it full before. it was full but there was not a soul around. people had driven their trailers there and dropped them off so they would have a spot friday night. jerks. i turned around and went home.

I've done that. Drove 2 or more hrs the day or a couple of days before a long weekend, set up a tent, and went home. If I'm willing to spend 4 or more hours of my time to set up, and the camp allows it and charges me for it, how does that make me a jerk?

Pulled this one from the Herald,

CALGARY - Increased enforcement was the main reason behind a rise in the number of tickets and warnings handed out in provincial parks and wilderness areas over the Victoria Day weekend, officials say.

More than a thousand tickets and hundreds of warnings were issued for drug, weapon and driving offences -- a significant increase over last year.

Most were handed out in the McLean Creek recreational area, southwest of the city.

"We had no difficulty locating people who felt they could do as they pleased in those backwoods areas,"said RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb.

Provincial campgrounds, on the other hand, were relatively quiet with only 20 charges and 20 warnings given out and five groups evicted.

"People seem to be getting the message," said Alberta Parks conservation officer Pat Ronald.

"Enforcement at campgrounds has pushed these partiers back into those random zones."

But those trying to avoid the crackdown by camping deep in the recreational area still found themselves subject to tickets and charges as RCMP officers moved in to follow up on their zero tolerance policy.

Although there was a marked increase in tickets and warnings, Webb said it likely stemmed from the fact more officers were out enforcing laws.

"This increase in numbers may be explained by increased enforcement, not only RCMP but other provincial agencies working in conjunction," he said.

Conservation officers, RCMP members, peace officers and Alberta sheriffs worked together to clamp down on illegal behaviour in parks and wilderness areas.

As a steady stream of mud-encrusted trucks and campers wound along the highway east back to the city Monday as the snow began to fall, officials compiled preliminary statistics examining charges and warnings.

The majority of tickets were for traffic and liquor offences, but Webb said officers also seized brass knuckles following a fight, and officers dealt with two ATV rollovers.

One man who fell from a cliff Sun-day while scrambling behind the Blue Rock Campground had to be lifted by heli-sling and then transported by STARS to hospital, said Ronald.

Four bears were also relocated.

Still, Webb said, the crimes were not as serious as they have been in the past, when officers have had to deal with critical injuries, sexual assaults and even death.

"The very serious crimes and serious injuries are not on the pages," he said.

Officers may have been busier if the weatherco-operated, but a cold night Friday, followed by Monday's snow, likely put a damper on things, said Sustainable Resource Development area manager Rick Blackwood.

"The cooler weather and wetter weather kept a number of people out of the backcountry," he said.

Blackwood said the amount of snow still covering parts of the high country may also have been a factor.

But, he said, the campaign to let campers know there would be no tolerance for bad behaviour could also have contributed to the fact that camperswereco-operative and more agreeable this year.

"We certainly saw a far more mature, family-oriented crowd," he said.

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

Let's hope they keep up the enforcement all year long. Talking with a co-worker yesterday, he informed me that himself and his quadding buddies will be out this coming weekend in the Rocky/ Cow Lake area. I don't know if these are the same guys who tore up the Prarie creek area last year, and he did sound as if he was a responsible rider (liscenced and insured) but I did have to cringe when he told me he drove his truck across the South Ram to camp on the other side a few years back.

I've done that. Drove 2 or more hrs the day or a couple of days before a long weekend, set up a tent, and went home. If I'm willing to spend 4 or more hours of my time to set up, and the camp allows it and charges me for it, how does that make me a jerk?

I dunno Rick, that's a tough one...so if people have enough money, can they rent a campspot for the whole summer? Or like the Ragged Ass Road people on the Upper Oldman, just monopolize a campspot all summer because there are 15 trailers there, but only a few people there at any given time? I see your point, but I don't think you should be able to leave your campspot unattended for more than a day.

Personally, I do not have any May long weekend stories because I hate long weekends, I would much rather work and make my own long weekend some other time. In fact, I hope to start working every weekend and taking two days off during the week.

I have no idea what the limit is. I personally have done it for up to two days, possibly one. Don't really remember. But if the campground allows it and I choose to take advantage of it, don't see how that makes me, or anyone else a jerk.

If the rule seems unfair, lobby to get it changed. Don't blame the people who are playing by the rules as established just because they are willing to take the time to get there early.

True, I understand that you are not breaking any rules, and I didn't mean to say you were a jerk or anything....people here know otherwise anyway. I mean, I could do the very same thing in order to ensure that I get a spot on a long weekend too. My main point was where's the limit, if there isn't one, then people could take a trailer up at the start of May and leave it there until late September. Especially in the case of random campers, which has been debated on here at length.

I think what he is trying to say that in a campground, if your willing to pay why shouldnt you be able to. If your trailer is there for a month and your paying the daily fee, then its just like your camping for a month.

In my opinion, it is different....not as far as revenue for the campground, but because your trailer is sitting there, you're not, and someone else could be using the spot...more of thinking how your actions affect other people. Sure the campground makes the same amount of money, but it's similar to etiquitte on the river. If you could "rent" a section of the Bow and people did it for the whole summer, just so they were sure they had that spot when their holidays came around, that would suck for a lot of other people who want to fish the days your not there. However, there is no rules as far as common courtesy goes. Now I've already conceded that a couple days isn't a big deal, but I guess I'm saying is pretty soon everyone does it a couple days in advance, then that's too busy, so people start going up a week in advance, and then two weeks, then a month...where does it end? Pretty soon there'll be a tent/trailer in every spot and barely a soul around, all to "save a spot" for the long weekend a month down the road. Even if they're paying customers, there are other people that could actually USE the spot.

I think that this speaks to the campground reservation system not really working in a satisfactory manner. I can understand the frustration of driving all the way there and not having a spot, but doing what Rick did is kind of an accepted way of "reserving" your weekend campsite. Any, by accepted, I mean that the campground administrators know it is happening, and some campers know that is what you have to do. I hope that this new reservation system starts to ease some of the frustration once people get the hang of it, but the jury is still out. I think that next time I have a Wednesday/Thursday off prior to a long weekend, I'm going to ask Rick if I can borrow his spot..... :lol:<--poke--< My 0.02....

vhawk,

Wasn't accusing you of accusing me of being a jerk. Just continuing the theme of the first post. I have no problem with your position.

What gets lost in this a bit is the time and effort it takes to get out to the campsite early. It's not like my tent gets out there by magic. I take time that not a lot are willing to commit to make sure I get a spot when I feel I need to. And I'm also not talking about a spur of the moment "hey lets go camping" event. I go with my wife and 3 kids. Significant planning and organizing goes into this. So if a campsite gives me the option of ensuring I get a spot, I will use whatever method available for me to do that. If there is a chance I won't get a spot, I won't go there. To much work to get there and be disappointed.

I do understand how this can be frustrating for someone who gets there and doesn't find anyplace available. While I sympathize, my response would be to plan better.

I know this analogy has holes, but I do liken this somewhat to the "someone is in my hole" debate that pops up from time to time. While this happens to me occasionally, I must say it doesn't happen often. That's because if it is a spot I really want to fish, I can almost promise I will be there before anyone else. Or I'll walk farther to get to a spot than most (certainly not further than all). If someone happens to be there, all I can do is tip my hat to their commitment and move on. Doesn't happen often though. About as often as not getting a campsite I want.

i worked this weekend but took wednesday thursday off instead. when i arrived at the rec site i was going to camp at, it was FULL. i've never seen it full before. it was full but there was not a soul around. people had driven their trailers there and dropped them off so they would have a spot Friday night. jerks. i turned around and went home.

Mind you not this weekend but last fall a few times I drove the Motorhome up to a spot on a Thursday night (a four hour evening return drive on a work day) and book for 4 days. The campground owner is always fine with that, as I book in advance by phone and he keeps an eye on my rig. Saved us the set up time and the wife has a bad back, this way I can drive her up in the comfy truck instead of the motorhome. We rented a campground in BC years ago a year at a time. Look at Windermere and the Shuswap where you can also book blocks of time. It is after all supply and demand and we have a lot more people in Alberta now. You can buy a service and use it when you want. I can after all book a spot and not go. It's still mine because I paid for the service, the service is available to me if I use it or not. In the same campground and one that I have used in BC there are people who book the entire summer block. If you can afford it why not. I agree it is abused in certain instances - but that is economics. If I owned a campground I would love it if people booked large blocks of time, and would certainly be upset if someone passed a law that sid yo could only book in my campground if you where physically staying there.

I can't count the times when I drove to a campsite only to find it full but your make contingency plans after all.

Does anybody remember how camping spots were administered before they

went private...limited paid stay? Keep in mind that Alberta taxpayers paid for

and maintained all or most of the now privatized camp ground infrastructure

before Klein decided to rent it to the private sector. Oil is around $55.00

a barrel as of late and we are in a recession. When we come out of this and oil hits

150.00 or 200.00 a barrel I think you might find quite a few places to camp

if you can afford to drive to them.

Interesting discussion...I have had my fair share of campground experiences and I think it is important to distinguish between privately owned and government (managed by private operators) campgrounds. Ricks analogy to the sweet fishing hole is right on. If you want to ensure a site in a popular campground close to 1 million people then you must get there ealier than most and pay for the trailer/tent only occupied right. The days of just pulling off the highway to a serene quiet campground are rare in these times of generators/hot tubs/satellite dishes(one guy even had a big bouncy castle type blow up unit for his kids by the fire). And if you think the new online reservation system will improve the situation just look at B.C. check out www.discovercamping.ca

for the past few summers I have been in charge of securing 5 or 6 sites at Kikomun Creek south of Fernie for our neigborhood camping trip. This is a popular swimming lake for the kids ( and moms lol). It is an intricate game to get the sites on the weekend you want ( non holiday weekend for us). You can book a stay for up to 14 days. However you can only begin to book 90 days from your arrival date. So 90 days prior I begin phoning 5 mins before the lines open at 8. By 8:05 all 75 reservable sites are gone for the days I want. I have now figured out that what is happening is campers are booking for the total 14 days, although they only may want the last 3 days, they then get to call and book 11 days before they actually arrive, book for the 14 days, then cancel the first 11 days and pay the cancellation fees. And there are a lot of fees. This year I put my name in for the lottery to get one of the group sites and luckily got chosen for the 4 nights we wanted in August.

Long story but slow at work today. Now with the in-laws we just random camp up behind Mountain Aire Lodge but even then we need to get there a day or 2 early to ensure we get our favourite clearing in the bush...

Play by the rules until the rules change...

Well, everyone is completely within their rights as long as they are following the rules. My main point is that right now, there are some that can do the early set up thing, but soon there will be more and more catching on and going up earlier and ealier until you have to leave your trailer there year-round, they should just make these places into RV parks. Anyway, I would like to see a draw system for long weekends to maybe free up some spots for people who want to camp the weekends leading up to the holiday. Also, I would like to see motor vehicle restrictions in some places.

but soon there will be more and more catching on and going up earlier and ealier until you have to leave your trailer there year-round,

This reminds me of when Merritt Mountain Music Festival was in full swing. RV's would be lining up at the entrance almost a month in advance. Just crazy

Agree with you what you said Rick; anyone using the system as its currently designed is perfectly within their rights.

That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the new online system. In theory, that should definitely help level the playing field.

For example, what about the Joe and Martha hard working Albertan who can't get a Wed. or Thur. off to drag their trailer off to "camp" on a campsite? I think they're unfairly punished, just because they have to leave after work on a Friday and or on Saturday morning? Seems unreasonable. They work just as hard and have to do as much planning as anyone else, it seems.

But now they have a chance to reserve a spot just like everyone else via the telephone or internet. Like I said, just like the reservation system the government uses for the Kananaskis golf course; I like it fine.

You could always compromise and have some sort of hybrid system that either (1) limits the amount of days you are allowed to book online, or (2) limits the amount of campsites available to be booked online, and there always some leftover for people to have first come, first served when they're physically there, etc.

Just would be nice if you could pay for something in advance and not have to worry about (1) doing the circus juggling act with your time and getting your stake claimed in the middle of the week, and (2) squatters.

My two cents.

Mike

For example, what about the Joe and Martha hard working Albertan who can't get a Wed. or Thur. off to drag their trailer off to "camp" on a campsite? I think they're unfairly punished, just because they have to leave after work on a Friday and or on Saturday morning? Seems unreasonable. They work just as hard and have to do as much planning as anyone else, it seems.

Mike,

Hmm. As I consider myself to be a hard working Albertan (ok, maybe Alberta transplant) as well, not sure what I think of poor Joe and Martha (not poking any fun at any Joe's or Martha's) not being able to get the days off. But who said I took any days off? Once when I did the early set up, I left just after work, drove down and set up, drove back home, and went to work the next day(by the way, I've only done this twice. The second time I left after work, drove to the campsite on the FTR, set up, and continued on to Montana to pick up a trailer which I brought back the next day, sans sleep, to the camping site) Now since I only live 2 hrs from my campground of choice, I have that option. Maybe not so Joe and Martha. Maybe they could pay me to do it for them? Do I have to give MikeG a royalty for thinking of this first?

All kidding aside, if the province goes to internet booking, great. I'll still get the campground I want and not have to waste as many hours out of my time. My experience has shown that people willing to work to get what they want usually achieve it, and I don't mind working to get a campsite, be it internet, phone, or doing it physically. But I can almost hear the complaints now "the entire campground was full with people who booked early on the internet! Jerks!"

But I can almost hear the complaints now "the entire campground was full with people who booked early on the internet! Jerks!"

Yup, then the complaints will be about people who have faster/better internet connections or the time to sit in front of the computer refreshing a web page until the booking page is live. I think the exact same arguments have been made in the past about concert tickets - people with time to line up at the box office for days beforehand and so on.

Rickr:

Was trying to insinuate that you didn't work hard or had lots of days off.

And, to make my point clearer, you did exactly that by mentioning the proximity to a campground. Obviously some people do have to drive 3+ hours, because they don't live on the doorstep.

And, you're right, people will complain about getting to a campground and its full due to advance booking. Still fairer in my opinion, or you can do a hybrid system like the one I proposed. Ultimately, there will be some whiners no matter what, that shouldn't stop the gov. from implementing the most fair system as possible.

Frankly, this isn't a big an issue as people who park their trailers in SW Alberta and pretend its their holy ground all summer long. But that's another thread... :)

Mike

I should start dropping smiley faces or winky faces in my posts so people won't take me seriously. Or maybe a disclaimer that if I seem mad or offended, I'm almost certainly not. If I'm mad or offended, you won't have to guess. :D:lol:;)

My wife cautions me on this all the time. She says I just assume everyone knows I'm not serious. But I rarely am mad, or offended. I just like to argue.

Yup, then the complaints will be about people who have faster/better internet connections or the time to sit in front of the computer refreshing a web page until the booking page is live. I think the exact same arguments have been made in the past about concert tickets - people with time to line up at the box office for days beforehand and so on.

But still, those spots will just be reserved for set dates, and they will be open for people to use, not taken up by an empty trailer. Rick, man, I've gotta hand it to you, that's dedication! As far as the internet reservation, that solves some of the problem, but just like headscan said, it will be like trying to get tickets on Ticketmaster....I think a draw system would be better, that way you would know ahead of time, and a spot would be reserved for you if you get picked.

sorry guys. what i failed to mention in my original post was that this rec site (in bc) is free to stay at. that's what makes me mad. if all those guys paid for their spot it would be a different story. now i guess the rule is you can stay for 14 consecutive days but if i had dropped off my trailer on april 30th to ensure i had my spot on may 13th and others couldn't camp because of that, well that would make me a jerk. i guess that's my point. just because it's not illegal doesn't make it okay. i could run my chainsaw from 7:01 am until 10:59 pm and although i wouldn't be breaking the law, my neighbor would probably think i'm a jerk. and rightfully so.