Fly Fusion Forums

Where Do You Ski?

I earn my turns in the backcountry! I find it hard to justify over $70 to ski at a local resort.

P

P,

Could not agree with you more. One run skiing new top to bottom is better than skiing with 5,000 of your best friends any day. Kids get most of their bc at Bridger Bowl so I thats where I get my resort fix.

Fortunately where we are there are plenty of places to strap the skins on to go for a hike or even better yet, plenty of water to wet a line in.

I would have to say, you guys north of the border have some pretty fine goods. How has the winter been lately?

I know where you are and I would agree! Hiking the ridge at Bridger rocks, though last time I was there ('93) I didn't...

Backcountry has been dicey (90% of the deaths have been sledders) though I did the (little) Wapta tour this weekend (http://dowclimbing.com/WaptaIcefields.html). Avi conditions weren't good when we went in, but that was based on a weather system that didn't make it past calgary so they avi conds ended up being ok.

Peter

P,

Could not agree with you more. One run skiing new top to bottom is better than skiing with 5,000 of your best friends any day. Kids get most of their bc at Bridger Bowl so I thats where I get my resort fix.

Fortunately where we are there are plenty of places to strap the skins on to go for a hike or even better yet, plenty of water to wet a line in.

I would have to say, you guys north of the border have some pretty fine goods. How has the winter been lately?

Buddy just got back from castle... said it was belly button deep all day, even on the main runs. Chutes were blasted yesterday morning and opened in the afternoon. Break out the big sticks!

The only thing open for chutes at Castlee was the lower parts. You could get in from Gambler and then traverse across and even that was only open for the morning today and closed for avi danger by this afternoon. The chutes haven't been open from top to bottom all year and arent looking to open at all this season. Last sunday was likely the best sking I have ever had at Castle. 70cms in 11 hours is pretty amazing. I would say it was closer to 1 meter up top once they opened it last monday. But I would say Sunday was better then monday based on the fact the lifts didn't break down, and there was less then half the people there. Today was alright, it was still suprisingly soft and once the sun came out this afternoon, it was back to spring skiing. Last day of the year for me was a good one.

Damn, haven't missed a year in 30, trying to head to sunshine this week for my first descents this year. Been a resort skier ( LL, Sun,others) all that time then when Cat-skiing near Ymir last year. Un -effing-believable...time of my life....now the rest seems so pedestrian...enhale the experience....sk