Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing A Lake

So I just took up fly fishing and have only done it on rivers and streams. However I would like to not limit myself to only moving water. I am poor and cannot afford a boat so I am wondering if it is possible to fly fish from shore on lakes in Alberta and BC. I have tried seraching this forum for advice but am not having alot of luck. (Could be my search terms though)

So anyways I am looking for some general knowledge about flyfishing lakes if anyone care to help me out.

Depending what lakes you plan on fishing some can very easily be fished from shore. During spring and late fall the weed growth has either not started or has died off. The fish are usually cruising the weed edges or drops feeding. Some lakes during summer can be hard to fish when the weeds are at their thickest. Other lakes that are surrounded by trees can making casting difficult but if the bottom is not to soft or deep you can always wade out a little ways. As far as techniques there are many different methods as in fishing rivers. You just have to find what they are feeding on and the best technique to match. There are some really good books out there on still water fishing that would help you out.

Hit all the links on this page and you'll be fully edumucated:

http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angling/bugs/index.phtml

Then you just need to get a tube, waders and some fins.

Poor? My first float tube was an old truck tire tube with a 1"X6" fence board tied in the middle with some rope for a seat. Wasn't pretty but it put me into a lot of fish.

As a general Rule, the best method to fish lakes within a few hours drive of Calgary is to 1) Try a few different coloured/ sizes of Chronomids using an indicator thats about 8-12 feet (depends on depth) above the flies and just cast it out and let it sit until it moves.. or add a few twitches or slow retrieves. You can try this method with different nymph's/ flies. 2) you can fish a leech or streamer with a floating line and 15 ft of leader without an indicator, and try different striping methods ( but this works well in a float tube the best.... just kick).. Or do a bit of both, with different flies. 3) Fish a dry fly when fish are rising (usually Cutthroat) , and just let it sit there.... this one is pretty self explanatory. The top flies in trout lakes (depends on lake) are probably Chronies and leeches, but that my opinion. A good lake to practice on that is close to Calgary would be Wedge pond out in K-country, it has grayling and chronies work well. Plus you can cast from shore pretty easy.

But like they said above, look up Bullshead posts, they will help a lot.

Good Luck,

Drew

Alinden: Some advice from a bit of a stillwater teacher:

-Read everything that Brian Chan writes

-Read everything the Phil Rowley writes

Track down a book called "The Gilly, a flyfishers guide" edited by Alf Davey

There is no such thing as "reading water" like on streams. There is such a thing as reading structure.

Rule #1: Fish feed where there is food. Simple, right? The depth of the water and the nutrients in the water determine where fish will feed. Nutrients are dissolved solids in the water, those solids support zoo plankton which feeds bugs, which feed fish. Productive waters are usually reflected in a slight alkaline content(whitish chalk/marl bottom) and clear water. Want to know if a lake grows fish worth going after? Take the first 10 minutes and walk along the shore, turn over logs or rocks in the water, if bugs scurry away, you know there is fish food. Cat tails on the shore are good. Wide stretches of white marl shoal is great! Bugs grow in water that is penetrated by sunlight(up to 30' depth), so bug eating fish remain, for the most part within 30' of the surface, in order to feed.

Best place to fish: The drop-off: The area where a shallows drops off into the depth of the lake. The shallows grows lots of big bugs, but is not safe for fish, due to predators. So, the big(wise, surviving) fish stay in the depth, about 10' down and come up to the edge of the drop off to grab continuous snacks of the larger bugs at the edge of the shallows.

Note: Larger fish will come up onto the shallows in the cool and dimming light of dusk, to feed, but they will be spooky.

So, study the structure of lakes you may be interested in. GoogleEarth is a fly fishers best friend. Do your homework, study the underwater structure that you can see from GoogleEarth, it will show you the areas to target. Target the drop-offs with nymphs: dragons, caddis, micro-leeches and emerger patterns. Floating lines, long(9') tapered leaders with 4' of tippet attached.

Get a tube at least.

j

Get the book by Rowley " Fly Patterns for Stillwaters". Teaches entomology, fishin technique and whole to tie many lake patterns. Some "chan" videos can be found via torrenting.

Gear wise, you'll need a floater and a fast full sink line. Learn to fish floatin' patterns off the bottom.

Couple of the boys @ wholesale do alot of lakes.

Cheers and have fun.

Guest Sundancefisher
Get the book by Rowley " Fly Patterns for Stillwaters". Teaches entomology, fishin technique and whole to tie many lake patterns. Some "chan" videos can be found via torrenting.

Gear wise, you'll need a floater and a fast full sink line. Learn to fish floatin' patterns off the bottom.

Couple of the boys @ wholesale do alot of lakes.

Cheers and have fun.

Get a six weight...most versatile and can be used for all methods in a lake from indicator fishing to dry fly fishing. A belly boat is very useful. I would recommend Bullshead as it is pretty much fool proof for catching rainbows. A great place to try a small indicator and a tiny chironomid would be either Wedge or Quarry.

Otherwise...find a buddy in a lake community. You guys can borrow a boat and fish till your arm is sore.

Also Pine Coulee should have good fly fishing for walleye with a sinking clear line and a floating leech.

At "ice-off" target the North or NW end or corner of a stillwater. That is where the water gets the most sustained sunshine, is initially warmer, and the shallow bottoms absorb more radiate heat. A touch warmer, equals more active bugs, equals fish actively feeding. Weedy bottoms will be a source of aquatic life and a safe haven for trout. Casting a #12 micro leech, small olive green dragon nymph and retrieving slightly above, or beside the weed beds should produce. Slow strip/pause retrieves work best, they will still be a bit sluggish.

j

Fishing maybe, but catching???????

and he is that old :bow::bow:

Hey Brunsie you forgot something. When Jack goes to the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller he conciders it a family reunion. 2.gif

Ya listen to the old fart. He sometimes knows what he speaks of. 7.gif7.gif I couldn't agree more with his advice on reading anything Brian Chan and Phil Rowley have written and the Gilly is like a bible for stillwater fishermen.

My favorite Chan book is Morris and Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes. The Rowley one I like best is Fly Patterns for Stillwaters (A study of trout, entomology and tying).

All of those books can be found on Amazon. Read all those before the ice goes off the lakes. Then you'll be all set.

Rob

Guest tallieho

another great fisherman that did alot to teach the Chan's & Rowley's was Jack Shaw.He has a couple of books in print.

And through his notes, drawings and diaries, Jack Shaw continues to teach, long after his passing.

In my opinion, one of the most notable books to come along in recent history is (Quoted from Flyfishing Canada):

" The Pleasure of His Company" – The Fishing Diaries of Jack Shaw,"

With 192 pages of text, 100 photographs and 70 watercolours, is not only of great importance in the history of B.C. fly fishing, it is also a fund-raising vehicle for fisheries conservation and children’s fishing programs. All profits from sales of the book will be divvied up between McQueen Lake Environmental Centre in Kamloops and the Fisheries Association of B.C., both of which offer informative fishing and environmental studies programs for children. "

The limited edition, leather bound is long gone, of course, but I believe the hard cover is available through various stores.

Shaw_03.jpg

Shaw_06.jpg

j

Your right on the money Tallieho. I have a few of Jack Shaw's books. Fly Fish the Trout Lakes, and Tying Flies for Trophy Trout. But I certainly don't have that fancy one that Jack has.

Jack, dad, buddy old pal. If you could see it in your heart could you put that one to me in your will?

Rob, your forever greatfull son.

There is no such thing as "reading water" like on streams. There is such a thing as reading structure.

j

Sorry Jack, you know what I think of you and your knowledge and skill in stillwaters, but I 100% disagree with this comment!!

If you don't pay attention to what is happening on the water (ie, hatches, bird movement, etc...) you will limit your fishing abilities. I would consider this "Reading the water" maybe not the same as on a river, but still "reading the water".

I do agree with the second part, you must be able to read Structure as well.

Rick