Fly Fusion Forums

Caddis Larvae

Keith

There's been quite a few mentions of Edwards' caddis larvae in this section as well as the entomology section. I've been working a few different patterns as they are fun to tie and seem like they'll be fairly effective. I thought I'd share what I've come up with. What do you guys think?

Hydro

post-1981-1237343506.jpg

looks really good bud...just one suggestion if you plan on fishing that pattern : leave more of the wire to penetrate the fish's mouth so that it's not just hooked by the tip of the hook point (you'll lose a lot more fish if you take away that extra space after the barb)...aside from that, it looks very slick...good job...

There's been quite a few mentions of Edwards' caddis larvae in this section as well as the entomology section. I've been working a few different patterns as they are fun to tie and seem like they'll be fairly effective. I thought I'd share what I've come up with. What do you guys think?

Hydro

Wow, really nice.

looks really good bud...just one suggestion if you plan on fishing that pattern : leave more of the wire to penetrate the fish's mouth so that it's not just hooked by the tip of the hook point (you'll lose a lot more fish if you take away that extra space after the barb)...aside from that, it looks very slick...good job...

That's a good point. I tend to crowd the bend of the hook sometimes. Although on this fly there is quite a bit more room than there looks in the picture. Down around the bend it's mostly ostrich herl that I tied in the for the gills and that stuff wont get in the way of the hook doing it's business.

I wouldn't have a clue about how to get even begin to tye something like that. Are there any resources out there for such techniques?

Check out Oliver Edwards' Essential Techniques series. He ties some amazing patterns, which is where I got these patterns aside from a few small mods. The fishing part of the DVDs aren't that great, although they aren't bad, but the tying parts, which are literally a couple hours worth per DVD, are really worth it.

As was discussed in this section a couple days ago, these patterns might be overkill as far as being more realistic than needed, but I find them fun to tie and I don't think they'll hurt your hook up rate any.

Those Caddis Larvae are looking good Keith. You may also want to consider tying the pattern in reverse (inverted), with the abdomen (underside) of the fly exposed too the outside of the hook bend. Many Hydro/Rhyco species are nomadic and will often move downstream to new locations in search of food, to evade predation by stoneflys, to migrate/colonize etc. When they drift in the current along the bottom, they will arch their body's back, with their heads pointing down too the stream bottom. A small tungsten bead will help keep the fly oriented through the drift. You can also tie Stonefly nymphs this way as well. It's always nice to add a little variety to the presentations.

Those Caddis Larvae are looking good Keith. You may also want to consider tying the pattern in reverse (inverted), with the abdomen (underside) of the fly exposed too the outside of the hook bend. Many Hydro/Rhyco species are nomadic and will often move downstream to new locations in search of food, to evade predation by stoneflys, to migrate/colonize etc. When they drift in the current along the bottom, they will arch their body's back, with their heads pointing down too the stream bottom. A small tungsten bead will help keep the fly oriented through the drift. You can also tie Stonefly nymphs this way as well. It's always nice to add a little variety to the presentations.

That's a cool idea Toolman. I might tie a few that way. It would be interesting to see how it works/looks.

Hydro

Looks great. What size hook did you use?

As Everyone else has said, those flies are great, I would sure be interested to see how they were tied. As Teck said, could you be talked into giving us the recipie?

Murray

Edit, I just viewed the two video links that Pacres posted. They are a great step by step of the second caddis. It's a real simple tie so now I need some small green wool.

great looking flies. could I convince you to post a recipe for them.

Teck

See the video above for the rhyac. If you can get a copy of Oliver Edward's DVD it would be worth it. But the recipe for the Hydro is:

Hook: 14 scud hook

Tail: Clipped partridge filoplume feather

Body: Nymph Skin

Gill: Ostrich Herl

Legs: Golden Pheasant Tail Fibers.

It's not that difficult to tie really.