• 8 weight and up (SH)
    • Spey 5 wt
    • Spey 6 wt
    • Spey 7 wt
    • Spey 8 wt and up (DH)
    • Switch Rod
    • Spinning Rod With Rapalas

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what is the smallest spey they make (while we are on the subject). do they go down to the 000?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on, you can double haul a single hand spey cast!!! Awesome haha I am going to learn this next time out. Does this only work for a single spey cast, so are you saying that you haul it in to get the fly to you and set your anchor and then haul it again on the way out!! lol But how does your hauling hand easily travel back up to the rod grip for the second haul without getting a bunch of slack?? There's nothing really to pull the line back out... unless the D-loop is pulling it out... maybe? I ask because just to be clear I know when I do overhead double hauls after you haul it forward the line will naturally pull your hand back up if the backcast is fairly decent allowing you to easily haul the second time around on the forward stroke.

Also I may exagerating a bit on 50' I;m not really sure how far that really is lol My apartment is 30' long and I know I can cast it further than that so maybe i'll say between 40 and 50 :)

I only use a single haul as my rod hand is going forward and it gets me all the distance I need. If I cast any further then it isn't fishable with the single hander any more because there's too much line to mend with a 9'6" rod. Here's what it looks like when an expert does it. You can see a haul around 17 seconds in and another at around 30 seconds.

what is the smallest spey they make (while we are on the subject). do they go down to the 000?

A 4 wt is the smallest production two-handed rod that I'm aware of. You can probably get lighter custom ones made, though. The Echo Dec Hogan 4119 is probably one of the most popular "trout spey" rods on Speypages right now.

I'm not sure who said it, it might have been Lefty, but they said the one thing that spooks a fish the most is line ripping off the water. Not that we have to worry about that on the Bow (or Bulkley, etc.) but if its true, spey casing is not for spring creeks.

After watching that video, I just thought I'd point this out (risking a thorough correction from the spey community).

I'm not sure who said it, it might have been Lefty, but they said the one thing that spooks a fish the most is line ripping off the water. Not that we have to worry about that on the Bow (or Bulkley, etc.) but if its true, spey casing is not for spring creeks.

After watching that video, I just thought I'd point this out (risking a thorough correction from the spey community).

Heretic! Blasphemer! Who's this "Lefty" and what does he know about fly fishing? I've never seen him in any of my spey casting videos... :P

Honestly, I don't know if it would or not. I've spey cast a 4wt single hand rod on the Highwood and still caught fish but I haven't tried on any smaller water. I don't doubt that it would spook them though.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i know it will spook them i was just wondering. I really like my Lefty 2 wt for the small water that i love soo much.

It works for most spey casts, and roll casts...with a double handed rod, it's forming a V loop, instead of a D (i find it odd that there is not one mention of this in any of the spey topics on this forum, for having such an advanced 'king').

Imagine your spey cast as a overhead cast, but instead of putting the line into the air, you're sweeping into a d-loop..same timing for your hauls.

You haul down as you start your sweep of your rod tip to start the D loop, and bring your line hand back up to the handle as the d-loop is forming (the d will take this 'slack'). Your D is now formed, and procede with a normal 'turbo' spey....Its very hard to explain, and i probably explained it wrong..but it does work, trust me

It takes a lot of work to figure it out, as the haul into your d loop adds line speed, so it will form more of a V then a D (it's compressed, and has a 'point', this has more speed and distance capable..but is certainly more on the advanced side of the scale)..you can also haul too much (or move the rod too aggressively) and turn that spey cast into a terrible overhead cast, as the anchor can not stick on the water..

practice your turbo spey, and have it down pat before bothering with this, otherwise you'll get frustrated.

a v-loop

320_GALoadingRod.jpg

I beg to differ. I think spey casting with a single hand rod you can only single haul. if you were to haul when forming you "D" or "V" loop you will loose all control on your anchor which is of utmost importance. you can still form a "V" with a single hander just like you do when spey casting with a 2 hander. how do you think its done with a 2hander without hauling?

Have a look at the video that headscan posted, there is only single hauling going on there.

think about why you doulble haul in overhead casting (single hand rod). the flex in rod generates line speed so your line lays out nice and straight out behind you before you start you 2nd haul. completely different for spey casting.

jayjj11 could you shed some light on who you are and your experiences. Seems to me your posts are very similar to bigbadbrents

( who has very limited experience in spey casting. maybe a year. max 2)

I would love to see some reference. Your photo shows someone 2hand casting forming a "V". nothing to do with a double haul spey casting with a single hand rod.

PK

I beg to differ. I think spey casting with a single hand rod you can only single haul. if you were to haul when forming you "D" or "V" loop you will loose all control on your anchor which is of utmost importance. you can still form a "V" with a single hander just like you do when spey casting with a 2 hander. how do you think its done with a 2hander without hauling?

Have a look at the video that headscan posted, there is only single hauling going on there.

think about why you doulble haul in overhead casting (single hand rod). the flex in rod generates line speed so your line lays out nice and straight out behind you before you start you 2nd haul. completely different for spey casting.

jayjj11 could you shed some light on who you are and your experiences. Seems to me your posts are very similar to bigbadbrents

( who has very limited experience in spey casting. maybe a year. max 2)

I would love to see some reference. Your photo shows someone 2hand casting forming a "V". nothing to do with a double haul spey casting with a single hand rod.

PK

I posted the photo, as i did a quick google image search on V-Loop, and this is what came up. As i stated before, it's very hard to explain the hauling into the loop, but i've seen it done, and can do it (just not as consistently as a single hand haul...). perhaps i'm not correct in the way it works, but it seems to for me. My name is Jason J. Jones, which got me some flak right off the bat, as my name seems to be the same as a popular film maker on the forum, so i changed my login name, as i was giving him a 'bad name'. I've been spey casting for roughly 5 years, on and off, but do a week on the mainstem skeena, and occasionally get to the Copper and Kalum in september. Fished the thompson once, before i picked up a spey rod. My favourite spey is a 1409-T&T. I have fished in florida a bunch, and still findthis to be my favourite fishing. I fish montana in may, then head back to calgary to wait for the july stones. my favourite fly shop is Troutfitters, followed by Gord's, followed by cps. Would you like to know when i lost my virginity, or who my first kiss was as well? If you feel like questioning me, be a man and send me a pm. I don't even know who you are, so why question me *edit* Pkk sent me a very nice PM explaining himself. please disregard my nastiness. - Jason

a lot of guys that fish Fish Creek will know the retired Asian fellow that always fishes down there..i don't think i've ever seen him cast further then 30 feet (has anyone?) and he catch's more fish than anyone i've ever seen...

I've seen that guy pull the biggest trout I've ever seen in person out of the Bow as if it was an everyday thing for him. Next time someone runs into tell him to join this board. What's he using?

masao cycles through 15 flies.. he sent me his data once.. all graphs and spread sheats broken down into wich months give ihm the most fish wich flies produce in peticular months better than others time of day etc... best thing i picked up form the data is that matchin and following the hatch even subsurface with bug activity produced the most fish with said fly.. for eg in april small copper johns on black and olive got teh msot fish for him same time teh bwo's were hatching or later in teh year teh stonefly was teh ticket when they were on the move... or caddis pupae in teh summer........ he keeps it nice and simple and over time, patience, practice etc his dues have bin paid and he has a good handle on were the fish will be month too month and what bugs they want too eat! pretty cool stuff too see in actual charts/graphs..... he does catch a decent amount of fish no doubt.. i dont like how he handles some fish but for the most part im sure some make it out alright... specially after reading his data.. spotting the same fish size species etc caught in the same runs a month or two apart.... he is a cool dude too talk too.. very humble loves too fish.... retired form japan moved too cowtown and just fishes 200+ days a year... thinks that the bow is the best stream on teh planet... and i dont blame him..... he is one of the few dudes i see out there even in sketchy cold windy rain any kind of conditions... he is interested in teh spey rod too! had a few in depth chats with him about it the last halfdozen outtings ive ran into him..... gotta give him madd props and always try too say hello when im in teh creek!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
masao cycles through 15 flies..

gotta give him madd props and always try too say hello when im in teh creek!!!!!

i always wondered who dude was & what his deal is.

have seen him many times...he's very patient & methodical...good person to watch & learn from.

cool story thanks

I 've seen this guy at FC also, I wondered how he was cathcing so many large fish, didn't talk to him but now I regret it.

Reminds me of another guy I came across last year during runoff, he was catching alot of fish using a center-pin setup, fishin with a ton of weight and using a very large pink bass worm, unscented accoridng to him. This thing was like freakin 6 inches long! He caught 25-30 fish that day at least. He even let me use it to catch a fish, not my tyle but hey, it works.

I laughed because he said alot of flyfisherman are all snobby to him, and won't ask them what he's using. I dmit I only started talking to him to see if he was using bait. He was a bit rough with the fish, but hey he was an ardent C&R guy so I didn't really have a problem with it too much. At least he doesn't hold the fish out of the water to try and take pictures when he's alone.

I 've seen this guy at FC also, I wondered how he was cathcing so many large fish, didn't talk to him but now I regret it.

Reminds me of another guy I came across last year during runoff, he was catching alot of fish using a center-pin setup, fishin with a ton of weight and using a very large pink bass worm, unscented accoridng to him. This thing was like freakin 6 inches long! He caught 25-30 fish that day at least. He even let me use it to catch a fish, not my tyle but hey, it works.

I laughed because he said alot of flyfisherman are all snobby to him, and won't ask them what he's using. I dmit I only started talking to him to see if he was using bait. He was a bit rough with the fish, but hey he was an ardent C&R guy so I didn't really have a problem with it too much. At least he doesn't hold the fish out of the water to try and take pictures when he's alone.

A fishing buddy also came across this guy with the centerpin, the next day he went to the store where the guy purchased the pink bass worm and all the pink worms there were scented.

I've seen a couple of center pin guys on the bow and for the most half I would think they were doing nothing against the regs, however I will say I had a run in with one guy last year that came within 5 feet of me, obviously I was in a nice honey hole and started casting. Not that I don;t mind sharing the river, but not even a hi, getting up I look over at him and he says "what, you fly fishers think you own the river"

The rest unforntantly is censored matrieal, but the short end is I got up and left.

I see attitude from both sides and don't think one side is worst then the other. Use to think like that about jetboats, till I got to ride in one........

So did you tackel him to the ground and feed him rocks or did he hit you?

Let just put it this way, the guy told me if he was any closer to me he would throw me in the river, I threw down my rod walked over to him looked him in the eye and said here I am howabout you talk big now...

I was close to knocking him out but decieded on walking away instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

hahaaa...you guys who don't know the first thing about 'Centre Pin' fishing are a bloody hoot!..just because someone can out fish your sorry asses, you think he is the a**hole, where as it is you.. who are soooo intelligent to voice ur opinions without any knowledge of the method or the guy using it....I sure would like any of you to step beside me while I'm using my Pin on the river and say something to me...some of you have met me and believe me, now that would really be a hoot...and as far as "unscented pink worms " are concern....you can't buy any in this province cause nobody is smart enough to import them and sell them...I use/have them, and I defy any of the boys to say I can't use them..

..that gentleman has taken a 28 1/2" brown at FC, with his method, [Czech nymphing]...what have you caught..hahaa..little 20" er's..yep this forum is a good laugh, all these wannabes who think they are so much better than everyone else, who like to spread the manure around after they go fishing..not saying everyone is like that ...but hell..if the shoe fits...wear it!

..................Wolfie