Fly Fusion Forums

If You Could Live Anywhere In Canada, Where Would It Be???

If work and money weren't an issue I'd seriously consider moving back to Cape Breton for sure!

I've heard good things about the island on the other side too though!

Could you take my wife with you??....;)....She's from Sydney......Just kidding!!!........I like it on the Cape too but I would never leave Alberta.....Have spent time in lots of places and have enjoyed them all but Alberta will always be home and Southern Alberta is the best!!.....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you take my wife with you??.... ;) ....She's from Sydney......Just kidding!!!........I like it on the Cape too but I would never leave Alberta.....Have spent time in lots of places and have enjoyed them all but Alberta will always be home and Southern Alberta is the best!!.....

Will she pay for the gas?! hahaha

I grew up in the BC Lower Mainland and I have travelled a fair bit, but I always feel right at home here in calgary. Yes the lower mainland has wicked salmon fishing but the other 7 months really kind of suck (in my opinion) and the rain really does effect me, I don't know what it is but I would rather it be -20 and sunny then +2 and raining. I love teh fishing around here and the mountains.

If I had to move it would probably be to the Meth capital/armpit of Canada.... Port Alberni, there is so much fishing on teh island it would be nice to smack dab in the middle of it. Plus with all the problems PA is having property is dirt cheap you can get property on the Stamp River for the cost of a garage in calgary

Unfortunately I have not toured enough of this great country of ours to make a fully informed decision, but at this point it would be Fernie. Ride all winter and fish all summer!!!

Wouldn't mind a place at Castle Mountain! You can ride all winter, fish the crow on warm days, then have your choice of streams in the summer.

Now about that whole "need a job" thing.

I actually almost bought there. But my wife said "it sure is windy." I made the mistake of saying "this is nothing, you should be here when it really blows."

We bought in Panorama.

Wouldn't mind a place at Castle Mountain! You can ride all winter, fish the crow on warm days, then have your choice of streams in the summer.

Now about that whole "need a job" thing.

I actually almost bought there. But my wife said "it sure is windy." I made the mistake of saying "this is nothing, you should be here when it really blows."

We bought in Panorama.

Don't know about that, I'm sure there is still pieces of my left knee scattered down the High South Burn

I'm not 100% sure where I would live. I've lived in Alberta all my life, but I will admit southern Alberta is a lot nicer than northern, but I have visited some beautiful places. Nanaimo, Victoria and Cambell River on the Island are amazing places, but still not sure if I'd want to live there, and Parry Sound Ontario is beautiful cabin country in the Muskoka's in Ontario, but the winters are killer. I'm with Jayhad on the point that I would rather it were -20 and sunny than +2 and raining all the damn time.

I would have to say that if I could find a nice chunk of land in the foothills, next to a sweet river system, I'd have to stay in Alberta.

... anywhere in Canada, and employment or cost of living weren't that big of an issue (not that it isn't), then where would you live???

many many things i like about sw oilberta, but it's getting too busy and i've had it with the winters. can't see myself retiring here. like fernie & other spots in the e/cent. kootenay rockies. kelowna's on the list [depends on your perspective i guess], nice climate, not too much stellar fishing right there but very very close to some fantastic waters. bit of a transient pop in the summer. crystal meth probs. there too.

like vanc. island somewhere, also the sunshine or chilcoot coast.

if i keep going west eventually new zealand.

i'd head back to the other coast on da rock but winters bad there too...summers not much better.

Birchy said, "Will she pay for the gas?! hahaha " Are you kidding?! adc will pay the gas. KIDDING!

This is not a criticism, but I get a chuckle about how damn near everyone wants to leave for the Left Coast aka B.C.

My advice would be: live in your choice of the interior, island or lower mainland from November through March and THEN make a decision after you've not seen the sun more than a few hours for 4 months. My old man lived in BC for 30 years and we spent a lot of time there and visited many times at Christmas and in summer. B.C.? No thanks.

Southern Alberta gets 2,400 sunshine hours a year. This winter has been a royal PITA, but overall weather in S AB is quite good. Roads good. Low smug or SDS factor (especially compared to BC), a few decent streams, not hordes of stoopid tourists.

flyfishfairwx pegged it.

Definitely nowhere near a city. I have a bit of a soft spot for the Yukon and NWT, but doubt I'd be able to handle more winter than I already get. There are parts of Sask. that I don't mind at all. Definitely a different outlook than the "every minute of the day is life or death" Alberta attitude. I'd like to check out the Maritimes for sure. Beautiful I hear. I guess my ideal, and has been for a while, would be a few sections, the more the better, around Nanton area,or somewhere in the foothills. Close to the mountains, neighbors a ways off, at the end of a dead end road.

i would have to say the gaspe region in quebec. truly amazing salmon and trout fishery! salt and fresh water mix it up and the scenery is outstanding!

"If you could live anywhere in canada, where would it be?"

I'd take 15 steps out my front door, look back at the house, and say "here"

Probably agree with you if I could buy a decent cup of coffee round there somewheres.

Oh man I have to choose??????

I'll continue to live in Abbotsford (or maybe a little further up the Fraser Valley( Chilliwack or Agassiz), but I'd maintain recreation properties in Fernie, Nordegg and Nazko (this is fantasy, right?). The rest I'll just have to make do with short trips for the fishing.

Too many great places to fish in Western Canada, and life is too short. I love this country!!!!

Fish Western Canada and die happy!!!!