Fly Fusion Forums

Spare Tip,

Nick0Danger

I think it depends on the individual and how they treat their equipment. I know I have boat rods and reels that are for newbies and new clients until I see how well they treat the gear. If they pass the test I have no problem handing them the good stuff after all that's what the manufacturers want and why they offer Pro programs to get the new gear in the clients hands. With that in mind I wish I had a few spare RPL tips as I do not think the current replacements are the same vintage.

Weather your a newbie or not I think having a spare tip is a good thing cause after all acidents do happen. Also I believe that over exposer to sun light can cause graphite to weaken (I could be wrong on this though)

I just bought last years model of a GASS 9126 and with that model you got a extra tip which is aswome cause if a acciedent does happen then I know I can be back out on the river fishing while I send my other one back for replacement.

what about having a second tip section with 6" cut off....would this make the set-up faster action?

making one rod a more versatile tool?

I wasn't sure about this so I asked my wife if cutting 6" off my rod would increase it's action, while making my rod more versatile.

She said my rod did not need to be faster, actually she would appreciate slower action. And she was completely against cutting off the 6". From her standpoint, it would seriously degrade it's versatility. Now, if a couple of inches could be added she said her actions could become faster.

I wasn't sure about this so I asked my wife if cutting 6" off my rod would increase it's action, while making my rod more versatile.

She said my rod did not need to be faster, actually she would appreciate slower action. And she was completely against cutting off the 6". From her standpoint, it would seriously degrade it's versatility. Now, if a couple of inches could be added she said her actions could become faster.

Now, that's priceless.

LOL

Rusty,

She says that "6' to spare" sounds like a fish story to her.

She also said the usefulness of a two handed rod is greatly exaggerated. In the vast majority of cases, a single handed rod with the correct action for the application is more than adequate.

She summarized by saying that short single handed rods with soft action are useful when fishing very small creeks which a normal sized rod could overpower. And large, two handed rods, while seemingly impressive, are only useful on very large rivers where a normal single handed rod couldn't reach across.

Dutchman,

Not sure I get what you are saying. The question was about extra tips and I think I tried to answer the question. Maybe I shouldn't have included my wife in the discussion. The truth is she is maybe not the best source of information as she has been fishing with the same rod for over 20 yrs now. But she does have a lot of friends, some of them who do use different rods from time to time, so I thought her opinion might be valuable. Maybe not.

Here is my best attempt as answering the extra tip question:

If you plan to fish the same stream over and over the same way for the rest of your life, an extra tip is probably unnecessary. But I would caution you to listen to the stream. Chances are, if you need an extra tip the stream will let you know. Maybe not in words, but you'll know.

If you plan to fish many different streams and experiment with new techniques, then I would highly recommend you bring an extra tip with you. You never know when you may need it. Now I would not recommend carrying the extra tip around in public. Some people may stare as they will not understand. Keep it hidden, perhaps in your backpack. But when you come across the right stream for that tip, the stream will thank you for it. Maybe not in words, but you'll know.

Shortening a rod results in a stiffening of the action, often needing a heavier line to work it properly. If you take some off of the butt, it softens the action and you may need to drop a line weight. Either way the action is very different from what the designer/builder intended. With lifetime warranties, I can't see where a spare tip is much of an advantage.