Fly Fusion Forums

So If You Had To Learn To Cast With Your Opposite Arm

LynnF

The delightful news from my doctor this morning about my casting arm not showing any signs or progress of healing was met with much delight today. Or not. She said it's going to be at least another 4-5 months before it will get back to normal (lesson here: if you break a bone and they tell you they aren't going to cast it, get a second opinion....seriously). So....I'm thinking I might have to teach myself or learn to cast with my left arm if I'm to be fishing this spring like I hope to be. So....have you taught yourself to cast with your opposite arm or is it worthy to be taught all over again? I know the "mechanics" of casting but will I be able to figure it out with practice? I know how to write with right hand, but I can't write anything legible with my left to save my life so I'm kinda wondering if it's the same thing.

I taught myself how to cast with my left arm about 5 years ago. Not for a medical reason just because I wanted to be able to cast with either arm. I didn't find it exceedingly difficult at first but it took me a couple weeks of practice on the lawn to really feel comfortable with it. I feel as though it actually improved my casting overall. I found myself focusing on the mechanics and timing much more than I did with my right arm. I think that was mostly because it wasn't natural and I had to slow down my casting considerably and really pay attention a lot more.

Tried it when I had my right shoulder operated on and then again when my right wrist was broke in two places.. can do it but very pooly funny just like my regular casting HA HA

look at the FAOL.com (Fly anglers on line (dot) com) Front page and there is a gif of the owner DH casting with both hands so it can be done...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

smoke a fatty and do what feels right. your brain and muscle memory will figure out the rest. your not teaching your nervs to start functioning again like a paraplegic, this is simple muscle mechanics you'll do GREAT within 3 casts.

that would be awkward as hell but on the positive you can take what you know now and teach yourself to cast without the bad habits,if you have any ...and if it's as easy said than done you'll probably wind up a better caster AND be able to cast both when you heal

here's a thought,what about a two handed rod? there's no swinging your arms around and no impact on your body,i know everything has been spey spey spey but in your case it might be a very logical answer

For people who are strongly dominant on one side there's more to it than just the mechanics. The muscles are not likely symmetrical in strength. You'll be looking forward to some pain until you can get the other side strengthened.

I've tried using my other arm occasionally. I had to concentrate so hard I end up sweating. The left side muscles ended up getting knotted from the intense concentration. My right side is easy and relaxed. Trying to duplicate the fine motor skills to control the rod tip were the hardest.

crappy too hear lynn..... i can cast alright with my left.. not the power my righty has but i can hit targets alright lefty.. spey with my left hadn up aswell.. both are not amazing but on the way! and if i had too what would i do ......... practice practice practice.. cant get the muscle memoty going unless ya start....

back in my bait chucking days I taught myself to cast lefty, now I can cast both equally. I would think I could take up casting a fly lefty fairly easily, but as Max said PRACTICE... I find everything related to my cast is completely dependant on the time I spend on the water

Thank you kind gentlemen.

In thinking it over, I think I'm probably overanalyzing too much - I mean...it's really all about getting that brain to arm connection going and if I already know how to do it, I should be able to figure it out again, right? That being said, I have some WICKED bad habits so maybe a little coaching isn't a bad idea. Regardless of what I do, I will be taking 420's advice no matter what :goodvsevil(): And with regards to the spey rod - as much as I think I'd like to try it, allow me to translate what Mike said in a more...er....censored manner. Spey rod + boat + Lynn = certain death by line asphyxiation her and those within casting reach....so NO. He's very kind to me, really.

Guest Sundancefisher

I found fishing small streams that I had to use both arms some days. Now I am not casting far but the motion is the same. From there I can cast with either...stronger in the right...not as much in the left...but monger say I suck at flycasting so either way works for me just the same. I still catch fish so long as I don't pay attention to the corkie and just watch butterflies instead until someone points out I have a bite.

Taking a page from steelhead fly fishing friends and acquaintainces who have experienced similar problems, you might consider a trout-weight switch rod of 10.5-11.5 feet in the 4wt-5wt range. These rods are versatile (fish either bank, no back cast room, floating line/sink tips...) very easy on the arms and allow you to fish effectively while rehabbing your shoulder/arm. Spey casting with switch rods/short spey rods is most suited to medium to large rivers as opposed to creeks, but allows you to stay in the game while healing at your own speed. Just a thought...

• 2 months later...

So I went out to the park across the street tonight for a bit. Now that I have a reel/line combo for an 8 weight that an overly kind board member handed down to me - I had to go try it out. I tried casting with my opposite arm (my right arm), and it was surprisingly easy! I think I had at least as much control with it, and I was getting tighter loops. That being said... I'm right-handed.

The reason I've always been casting with my left hand is because I prefer to have the reel in my right hand when i'm fighting fish. After tonight, I think I might just have to start casting with my right hand AND reeling with my right hand. I'll just switch hands on the rod when the fly hits the water.

Does anybody else do this?

PS - Lynn, how's the arm healing?

you can always get your reel spooled the other way so you reel with your left. Casting right reeling right is an american thing, true canadians cast right reel left.

Casting Right, Reeling Left is an American thing. Casting Right, Reeling Right is british and scottish...neither is more correct

I cast right and left, but nobody says I do either well. I do manage to get the fly in front of the fish, though.

I wish you well (and fast!) in your recovery. It is absolutely worthwhile to go fishing anyway. So cast lefty, if the line handling and fish netting chores don't aggravate your right. Probably somebody else should row the boat, thought.

And, can you still pop a brew?