Fly Fusion Forums

On The Ice

Gil

I got fed up waiting on the Bow and decided to go out on the ice with a friend of mine on Sunday. It was warm +5'C, however there were very heavy wind gusts. I thought the tent was going to come apart for awhile there. Luckily once we got everything straightened around and started fishing, the wind stopped. We caught quite a few fish, some a good size and had a great time. When we started to pack things up at the end of the day the wind started up again.

post-1741-1231988282.jpg

Mmmm pike is right... especially from under the ice. Good video on youtube for removing the Y bones from the fillets, but I'm too stupid to post it. Keep getting a malformed video ID when I try. I think I might have seen it here actually..

Nice slough shark. We went out this evening, the weather was spectacular. We put about a 100 burbot on the ice while watching the stars. Great fun for the rookie ice fisherman with us.

The sky was awesome tonight. Rickr & I were also landing burbs hand-over-fist tonight; same lake as you, maybe?

We were in the tent close to the west parking lot, didn't get there 'til near dark. Had a blast! Rick landed one pike amongst

the burb bonanza.

Darn Rob, sorry we missed you.

Steve, thanks again for the invite! It was a blast. And the stars were beyond spectacular.

Since the last couple of trips to the Bow have shown I have lost my ability to catch fish in moving water, it was great to actually land some fish. Even if they weren't exactly sophisticated!

Man you are turning into a true Canuck Rick. It is really easy to skin Burbs and they are fine eating (if you like fish). You should give it a try. The skin peals off easily with some pliers.

You were fortunate to go with Steve. I think he is the head guide for the Southern Alberta Burb Trail. Did you guys happen to get any Walleye? Their eyes glowing in the dark is something cool to see.

Man you are turning into a true Canuck Rick. It is really easy to skin Burbs and they are fine eating (if you like fish). You should give it a try. The skin peals off easily with some pliers.

You were fortunate to go with Steve. I think he is the head guide for the Southern Alberta Burb Trail. Did you guys happen to get any Walleye? Their eyes glowing in the dark is something cool to see.

Back home, I always had somewhere right on the water to clean fish, and almost never had to clean them at home. I hate cleaning fish at home. But next time I guess I have to. My wife wasn't too happy that I didn't bring any back. She is resigned to the fact I won't keep trout, but she did not understand not keeping the burbot!

No Walleye's. All burbot, 1 pike.

Yeah, there's sumthin' about starting to clean fish at 10PM that just doesn't appeal to me...

Last week I kept a few & ate 'em- they were just 'OK'; next time, I'll try the beer batter.

Sorry we missed ya down there, Rob; glad to hear you slayed 'em (as usual!).

Thanks, Rick, for not mentioning that you had the lucky ice-hole last night; I swear, there were

several burbs that just swam up through the hole & laid at Rick's feet. Guess they figgered it

was less painful than the inevitable hook in the mouth.

Later,

Steve

When we head out burbot fishing, we bring a 2x8 with a big spike in it. Then we cut the skin all the way around the fish just above the fins. Place the fish on the board with the head through the spike. Grab a pair of plyers and pull on the fins to take the skin off. Fillet the chunky fillets on the side and your good to go. I always like to clean them just after i catch them, much easier to do before there frozen to the ice.