Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Warranty

birchy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
Thats good to know,i never did send mine in.

I had one serviced...broke a tip on my first bonefish on the first day...dang nabit!

Anyways...never registered it and it was fixed fine. They make some money on the replacement pieces.

• 4 months later...

Funny enough.. one of the last times out on the Bow I was taking the rod out of the tube and out came the warranty card!! haha. I had taken it out probably 8-10 times before that and it still managed to stay inside I guess!

All,

If there is anyone who has tested Sage warranty, it's me.

I've got two Sages. One is about 12 years old now, the other about 9.

Both have had tips replaced at least 3 times. Last year, I felt sorry for Sage, since I actually broke both and had both in for warranty at the same time. So, I bought one of the "replacement tips" for about $130.

Best Service I've ever seen. I'd never buy another rod.

Eric.

ps. Never sent in any warranty cards....

Guest Sundancefisher
All,

If there is anyone who has tested Sage warranty, it's me.

I've got two Sages. One is about 12 years old now, the other about 9.

Both have had tips replaced at least 3 times. Last year, I felt sorry for Sage, since I actually broke both and had both in for warranty at the same time. So, I bought one of the "replacement tips" for about $130.

Best Service I've ever seen. I'd never buy another rod.

Eric.

ps. Never sent in any warranty cards....

I was talking to a wholesaler... The tips cost about $5-10 to buy. They then sell back to us for what is it now...about $50? Anyways...I would rather pay that then buy a whole new Sage.

Don't feel sorry for them...they are making money on the replacements.

I do not agree with you on what the tip costs. Sage rods are made in the US. Each rod touches about 40 pairs of hands. The tips start as sheet graphite and have to be rolled, sanded, a finish added, backed, guides placed and wrapped. Each piece is custom fit to the section that you send in. Warranties are time consuming and costly. if you add the material and labour, it cost the US rod companies far more than what you pay.

A rod tip that is made off shore can cost less as you stated, due to the labour costs. That is not the case with any major US rod company.

Yeah the whole idea about Sage blanks/rods being "made" in the US is a myth... LIke all the rods on the market they are made in asia and "assembled" in the US... It would be WAY too expensive to manufacture them in the US...

P

I do not agree with you on what the tip costs. Sage rods are made in the US. Each rod touches about 40 pairs of hands. The tips start as sheet graphite and have to be rolled, sanded, a finish added, backed, guides placed and wrapped. Each piece is custom fit to the section that you send in. Warranties are time consuming and costly. if you add the material and labour, it cost the US rod companies far more than what you pay.

A rod tip that is made off shore can cost the 5 or 10 dollars as you stated, due to the labour costs. That is not the case with any major US rod company.

Yeah the whole idea about Sage blanks/rods being "made" in the US is a myth...

P

Where did you hear that?

It seems a waste to keep all the mandrels, carbon and scrim in Bainbridge if they are manufacturing the rods else where.

Yeah the whole idea about Sage blanks/rods being "made" in the US is a myth... LIke all the rods on the market they are made in asia and "assembled" in the US... It would be WAY too expensive to manufacture them in the US...

P

Hmm, that sounds like something a shop that doesn't sell Sage would tell their customers. Not true to the best of my knowledge. If it were, then they'd lose a ton of sales to the "union-made, buy American" crowd. Go check some of the US fly fishing forums and you'll find a lot of guys who won't buy TFO and other rods made in Asia even though the company is American. Not that the continent where the rod/blank was made makes any bit of difference as much as the actual factory, design, and quality of materials. I'll take my Asian-built Acura TSX over a GM, Ford, or Chrysler any day ;)

P

Yeah...uh...NO.

Sages are made, rolled, finished, etc, etc, right on Bainbridge Island near Seattle. They aren't slapped together in some third world factory with pennies-per-hour labor, loaded by the metric ton into shipping containers, and sent across the ocean. Check it out for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my reel back from warranty repair, took less than a month total. I'm very pleased aside than the $50 shipping and handling fee. Considering that the problem with my reel was a manufacturing issue I feel that the fee shouldn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"Sages are made, rolled, finished, etc, etc, right on Bainbridge Island near Seattle. "

Of course they are. There is way too much money invested in the design, development and building of those rods, in that facility. No question, even by a critic. :)

"They aren't slapped together in some third world factory with pennies-per-hour labor, loaded by the metric ton into shipping containers, and sent across the ocean.

Isn't that statement perpetrating a myth very similar to the "Offshore-built Sage" BS ? The truth is, if someone wants to build well-designed, durable "stuff", no matter what continent, they have to pay their people a fair wage, relative to the the economy where the factory is. Try not to fall for the old "equivalent pay" scenarios that some people project as "truth". If it costs you $100 a day to live and you're making $200 a day income, is that different from a manufacturing job paying the equivalent of $10 a day, if it costs that worker the equivalant of $5 a day to live just as well as you?

j

ROD REPS:

Manufacturers of all products target market their product for a couple of reasons. 1st and foremost is they have a cost to manufacture and a profit to make. Based on their ability develop new technology to build a better mousetrap on a continuing basis, or whether they lead or follow in this area generally identifies (if nothing else) who will be more recognized. Thank God for the technology or we still might be using glass rods. In most cases you receive value for the dollar amount spent. And as always the manufacturer and retailer will charge what the market will bear. REPS sell your product based on the benefits of it and quit bad mouthing the other, as this paints a bad picture on both companies.