Fly Fusion Forums

2008 Year In Review

Well another year has passed here at Fly Fish Calgary. I trust everyone had a great year, learned some lessons, and passed on some good info to others.

I please to see how this site has progressed. We now have almost 2000 members and are growing strong. There will be some new and exciting things coming in the new year. Myself, moderators, and site sponsors will hopefully have some contests and gear to give away in the new year.

We wish to thank all of you for participating here on the forum. We hope you all have a great holiday season, have a merry christmas or (insert other holiday of any other religion here), and a happy new year.

So share some stories of 2008, the good, the bad, and the bigbowtrout errr Ugly.

My highlight of 2008 is that I found out I am going to be a Dad as of April 2009 and I caught the biggest brown trout of my life at 29 inches.

Dave

My highlight would have to be the first of everything flyfishing.

first fish ever

first dry fly take

first time being completely lost

first bear encounter

first fish caught on my own fly

first time i havent been stoked for snow

meeting lots of dope people

I would say from a fishing perspective, my highlight of 2008 was in learning that the Bow is a year round fishery. Run off and winter included! That and the number of people I got to fish with this year. I would try to list them all here, but I'm afraid I would miss someone. To all of you, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it! Can't wait to do it again next year!

Thanks to all, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Edit:

Oh, and this 26.5" pig!

014ba3.jpg

This year was the first that my number of rod days actually went down from the previous.

However, it was a trade for quality over quantity. I fished Vancouver Island for steel in March, fished for springs and sockeye in Alaska in July, and fished chum, coho, and sturgeon on the Fraser. Had the best dry fly fishing I've ever had on the Bow in the summer, and had some fantastic fishing on the Elk and Wig. Did a fair amount of lake fishing this spring, and got some great info on some wonderful new spots (thanks to those who shared the info, as it was appreciated). Watched my good buddies H2O and walker land rainbows pushing the 30" mark. Finally made it down to the Waterton area, but the more time I spend elsewhere the more I realize why people fly from all over the world to fish the Bow.

Most importantly, I shared some awesome campfires and beers with some awesome old friends and some great new ones.

was a stellar year for me also.; biggar and badder every year! spent tons of time on new waters and like rusty said wonder why i leave the bow... but i had tons of fun exploring and founda few spots i will be back nextyear forsure! did tons of camping wich i hadnt done the past few aswell.... learned the bow more on some new levels ive dabbled in the years previous.. realized the pros and cons too the spey cast and wether it be single or double handed i will always fish with a d-loop almost all the time, set a personal best for largest brown on the fly and became a pike addict of some sort... gots ta do a lot more exploring nextyear.. looking forward too some new challenges and achievements aswell! met tons of great people and had a blast on teh river with my good friends and clients! bring on 09!

This was a great year...a lot of time on lakes with friends and family (family being my 7 and 5 year old girls). Thanks to everyone who made the trip down to the Cypress Hills area to fish the lakes around here. This was my most enjoyable year lake fishing.

Spent some great time climbing hills with H2O looking for Goldens again, and then bumming around the Castle and Elk drainages with friends on 4 different trips...doubt the family will let me do that again.

Next on the list is Steelhead, and some time out on the Kamloops area lakes.

This hasn't been a stellar year for us with the loss of our Jessie....his loss is still quite raw for us, despite our great new dogs and we will remember this year in that regard.

This is the first year in 9 that I didn't even buy a fishing license (stop the tomato throwing). Because of this, and the events that took over my life this past year (too many to mention), I appreciate more than ever the effect and impact that fishing and camping has on my life and my mental well being (leave that one alone please - I know I"m asking for it). I sat back and reflected on the things I didn't do this year that I normally do and felt really ripped off and had a bit of a pity party. But it it what it is, or was what it was and I've come to appreciate these things that much more because of it. Therefore, you all will need to get the hell out out of my way the first warm day in April cuz I'm going to fish THE CRAP out of the Bow and any other trout stream I can get to before this time next year. The boat will float many, may kms this coming year.

Although I didn't fish Alberta waters this year, I will say that this year is memorable for me for the time I spent on B.C. waters. I fished for 4 days in the Queen Charlotte Islands and, as disgusting and cold and wet as the weather was, I had a friggin' blast. And I hope I get to go again this year - it's one of the "perqs" of Mike's job so I"m not 100% about that. But I still hope. I caught my first big salmon and got to see a part of the Earth I thought I never would. So this year wasn't a total bust piscatorially speaking.

As always, I appreciate this board and the fine gentlemen (and ladies - hey Tiana...where the hell are you, BTW?) that I have met. Mike and I both wish you and your families nothing but the best this coming year.

In many ways this was my best year on the Bow. A 24 inch brown and 25 inch bow were highlights for me. I managed to put 23 full day floats on the river and fished the majority of Saturdays and Sunday mornings ( before the kids woke up) all without having my wife devorce me, yet. Had many 20 plus fish days and loved every minute of it...

I didn't get very much time to fish.. I probably fished the least amount of days per year ... in my life since I started fishing. Those days spent, though, where extremely high quality. Can't even begin to list all the fun I had this year when I did go out.

-Steel in BC

-King in Alaska

-Bully fishing with old friends on the (insert SE BC river)

-Coho in BC

-Pink / Reds in Alaska

-Cutts on (insert SE BC river)

Too much fun... I may have missed some highlights , but the highlight of my fishin career.. is this

Alaska%201.jpg

This past year was a mixed bag of good and bad. I didn't fish the Bow or anywhere in the province at all this year but I did manage to catch my first Atlantic salmon; actually would up catching 14 of them; including one at 44 inches; in total in Labrador and on the Rock itself along with some searun browns mixed in. The funny thing is I met a member here that I never had any contact with out on the east coast through a former air force team member.

Also officially retired from the air force this year but his was bitter sweet as we laid to rest my father in law, a vet from WWII the day before my retirement.

Now I'm building my photography business and trying to expand that a bit more.....fills my new found free time.

Hopefully the down turn in the world economy has a minimal effect on all of you and at this time I'd would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year

My highlight was just to be able to get on the water with good friends. Also managed to improve on various things just through practice - spey casting, fly tying, catching bigger fish with increasing consistency. Took a trip out west to fish surrounded by gorgeous scenery as well.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get out to some places I had hoped to but now they just go on the list for next year.

The ugly for me was having some jackass hit my car while I was on my way to fish. My car wasn't drivable afterwards (the car that hit me was totaled) but my friends came by the scene so we transferred all my gear to another vehicle and still fished.

On a personal note this has been a crap year with the loss of my Mom to cancer and then my Gramps passed a few months later. The one thing that helped was knowing I could go to FFC for a few laughs or to set up a few fishing trips with some good guys.

I wished I could have headed out on a few more floats with Harry and Dave but the one day we did I had a blast. Going to Jasper with Max was awesome! The fishing was a bit off but just the beauty of the place and the ability to sight fish for monster Bows make it a special spot for sure.

Seeing JMasson light up like a kid at Christmas landing a 20” cut was a highlight for sure and when my bud Lookingforwalter hooked and landed his first trout of any size was a thrill. I took a lot of rookies out to some great water and watched them all catch some great fish and that feeling was even better then catching the fish myself.

I gave my Daughter her first fly rod this year and she made my proud by casting, hooking and landing her first trout on the fly. I’m lucky and proud.

I got to fish for Sturgeon this year but was skunked but my Buds brother in-law landed a 6 footer and WOW that is one cool fish.

I also had a great day on the Crow with a good friend and enjoyed some great company after at TerryH's place. Thanks again Terry and next year we need to get out more.

Lynn we are going fishing together this year and I'm bringing the babybells and grape juice.

A lot of funny stuff happened on this site but a lot of good work happened as well. The clean up and the StreamWatch auction to name a few.

Thanks all and let’s hope 2009 kicks ass.

CampingJuly22008003.jpg

Davescrack.jpg

Maxbow.jpg

Guysfirstbigtrout.jpg

PA190105.jpg

AndyandAng005.jpg

This was an amazing season for me...I landed more fish this year than ever.

I finally got that Bow River figured out and left the skunk in the bush were he belongs! Just in time with the price of fuel, better to stay close to home.

I am 100% addicted to the rush of those Bow R trout.....sunshine, snow or rain...nothing is going to keep me off that river

I now understand more than ever how my fishing balances my life...

Best wishes to all my fellow anglers.

James

Well, since this was my first year, or part year, of fly fishing, I would have to say that the biggest highlight of my 2008 was taking the time to learn how to fly fish. Caught my first trout on the fly, my first dry fly, my first cutthroat, first at everything!

I love this sport and I certainly can't wait for the 2009 season to start so that I can enjoy my first FULL season of fly fishing. So much more to learn, so many more places to explore. I can't wait!

A pretty good year all around. Fished for a week at a time several times, and many short trips in between. Learned alot of new techniques, useful patterns, and spots. Found new rivers and spots that I'll definitely return to, and old ones that are still favourites. Personal best fish in 3 species, and alot of practice taking pics and video. Saw some pretty awesome sights, hiked some damn beautiful country, and caught some amazingly beautiful fish. Now the endless wait for spring so I can do it all again..

Guest RedWiggler

I hooked up my first small stream Cutties and also got my first Pike on the fly as well. I night fished alot this summer and thought it was just awesome besides always wondering what was behind me. Fished a bunch of new water which was fun as well. All in all the traffic/crowds on the river this year it was a tad bit aggravating at times but was still a good year out there.

Had an absolute blast of a year as well! I have been fishing on the north bow (Cochrane to Ghost) since I was a little kid and know that stretch inside and out so I really took this year to spend exploring on the south bow (Calgary to Carsland) and had a blast doing it! Was on the south bow probably 2 days a week on average and up on the Highwood river exploring 3 days a week for the whole spring/summer/fall. What a great time, as it was my first time on the Highwood and god damn I love that river and it makes me realize everyvtime I wet my feet in that beautiful water why I love flyfishing in Alberta so damn much, those views, that fresh air and those chunky trout. I also spent a bunch of time exploring up the trunk road, finding a bunch of fun little gems. In the spring I chased some pike which was also a first for me on the fly and wow, tons of fun as well! Got to make a trip out to Vancouver Island for Salmon/Steelies in the fall and just last month also a trip down to Barra de Navidad, Mexico for Roosters, Dorado, Tuna and even a 404 lb Blue Marlin on 50 lb test. Now Im back in Sweden for the next year and cant wait to get up north for Char and fat fat wild Browns in the spring! Merry xmas everyone and a happy new year. Good fishing!

The successful launch of Stream Watch in SW Alberta was very gratifying and the support and contributions from many on this Board helped make it happen........The trout of the Oldman and Livingstone thank you all!!........

Also, the change of reg's on Police Lake, the spring fishout and then seeing how well it is coming along this fall made all the meetings, letter writing and lobbying seem worthwhile.......Perhaps most encouraging is the move by SRD to work towards designating some lakes in ALL regions as Quality Fisheries..........Our voices are being heard loud and clear........

Catching my first tarpon on the fly (a popper by the way, and more than one tarpon!) was a highlight for me..........

Best of the Season to all of you....

Al...

I would have to say one of the best trips I had all year was beeing able to fish at palmer ranch with Gregg (Toolman) his brother Bob, Clive, and Al.

Had many other fun adventures and was happy to meet some new people.

I did have some very happy times (going out to victoria to see an extremly good friend get married) but was also hit with some bad times, Losing my grandfather on my brithday and having to go to a funeral for a good friend, but as max would say to me, WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS..... PAINT THAT *hit GOLD.

The year in review.

Well the high point of my year will be that I found out I'll be a Gramps and the low pointe was probably the same.

Got to go back to my old stompin grounds in Ontario (Bay of Quinte and Grand river Area). Spent almost all the time fishing with my father and son. it was great

got my

1st large and small mouth bass on the fly

1st Gar on the fly (27")

Out fished my Pop on 4 out of 5 days with the long rod (after he said you can't catch bass with the long rod.)

Fished with some great people I met through the board thanks a bunch, guys

Hope 2009 is even better

Happy New Year to all

Teck