Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying Lately?

Flytyer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KnottyGirl
Doing royal wulffs now did 25 out of that the last 6 have been swapable, thank god these ain't due till mid feb.

I hear ya Teck... I'm seeing Evil Weevils in my sleep. Only have about 3 swappable out of 20 or so (not counting the ones that were so bad I ripped apart to salvage the hook and bead), back to the fly shop I go, I'm running out of hooks! On the bright side, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

I hear ya Teck... I'm seeing Evil Weevils in my sleep. Only have about 3 swappable out of 20 or so (not counting the ones that were so bad I ripped apart to salvage the hook and bead), back to the fly shop I go, I'm running out of hooks! On the bright side, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Lindsey,

get use to running out of supplies all the time, it seems to be something that always happens to me. Yesterday I threw my scisers across the room cause I was out of #16 hooks, and cursed myself for not knowing better and picking some up since I tend to go through #14 and 16 like crack.

Guest RedWiggler
I'm still trying to create a better stone nymph. I finally was able to tie a knot in a goose biot for a realistic leg. Note: use your bobbin threader. I also added laquer. Still not what I want but I'm making some headway I think...

post-1741-1230402811.jpg

Nice.

Not a green machine althou it sure looks like, I'm sure the patteren was based on it...........this one is called Myron's Glittler Bug.............with a substitute of UV Ice dub instead of some sparkly chenille, that I couldn't find. These are size 8..............but I'm tying those up from sizes 6 thru 10..and maybe a few 12's.

• 2 weeks later...

Din,

I use Mustad Signature Hooks for nearly all my tying now. I'm fortunate to get to fish some of the big fish water here and there and the Signature Series is about as tough as it gets. For Dries I use the R50 and I hoping to find some R 50X hooks that are made barbless c/w a 30 % longer hook point.

For stillwater flies including Boatman, Swimmers, Leeches, Chironomids and Bloodworms I use one of the hook styles below.

post-206-1232770337.jpg C 49S - best fish landed on this hook was a 8+ lb. rainbow on a size 16 boatman

post-206-1232770359.gif C53S- I use this one for bloodworms

post-206-1232770370.gif C068 - tougher than snail *hit. Landed a 6+ lb. trip. on a size 18 last summer

You want 'em tough -get Mustad. The only hook other than these I'd consider is the Tiemco #2457.

catch ya'

Don

Din,

I use Mustad Signature Hooks for nearly all my tying now. I'm fortunate to get to fish some of the big fish water here and there and the Signature Series is about as tough as it gets. For Dries I use the R50 and I hoping to find some R 50X hooks that are made barbless c/w a 30 % longer hook point.

For stillwater flies including Boatman, Swimmers, Leeches, Chironomids and Bloodworms I use one of the hook styles below.

post-206-1232770337.jpg C 49S - best fish landed on this hook was a 8+ lb. rainbow on a size 16 boatman

post-206-1232770359.gif C53S- I use this one for bloodworms

post-206-1232770370.gif C068 - tougher than snail *hit. Landed a 6+ lb. trip. on a size 18 last summer

You want 'em tough -get Mustad. The only hook other than these I'd consider is the Tiemco #2457.

catch ya'

Don

Thanks Don,

Have heard various opinions from people about what hooks are most effective, figured you'd know as well as anyone. Will take a look at those hooks for sure.

Din

Just about done chironomids - got only another 500 slots open.

post-206-1232751515.jpg

Don

jeebus don i never figured u for a bobber chuckin baitfisherman with all that cane rod dryfly talk!? <--poke--< was good to see ya at teh show. we must do a little fishin nextyear i promise i will go easy on ya with teh spey... :masterbaiter:

maxwell,

Ya - enjoyed seeing you as well and casting some plastic poles.

As far as chironomids - I fish them naked a lot of the time. Use bobbers when I have to. Been using bobbers for nymphing for 35 years or so.

I haven't much use for a spey rod. I can't cast much over 50' with a decent tail wind.

catch ya'

Don